Cédric Biscay interview by ActuGaming.net

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Cédric Biscay interview by ActuGaming.net

Postby Team Yu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Shenmue 3 co-producer Cédric Biscay of Shibuya Productions has been interviewed by French website ActuGaming, discussing the upcoming sequel and other projects.

On the game's expected release date, Cédric confirmed that while plans may evolve later in development if any last minute problems should arise, at this present time "Shenmue 3 is still scheduled to be released in December 2017."

On the possibility of Sega releasing HD remasters of Shenmue 1 & 2, Cédric gave his opinion that "it seems logical," and that "what we would really like is that they come out before the release of Shenmue 3" to help them with marketing the sequel and enable new players to experience the original chapters before discovering the next part of the story.

Also discussed in the interview is the lateness of Microsoft to the party, withholding its interest until the longstanding risks of reviving the series had all been taken by other companies. Currently, the confirmed platforms for Shenmue 3's release are PC and PlayStation 4.

To pre-order the game on either system, visit shenmue.link/order where you can also pick up a range of other merchandise and contribute towards the game's development budget.

To get involved in the campaign supported by Cédric to #SaveShenmueHD in time for Shenmue 3, visit TeamYu.net and participate in the Tweetathon every 3rd of the month.

Team Yu has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Kiske
Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by ActuGaming.net

Postby sandsoles16 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:34 pm

so all the rumors that this was done was fake then?
sandsoles16
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: sandsoles16
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 am

sandsoles16 wrote: so all the rumors that this was done was fake then?

I'd take it with a grain of salt. If the rumour is true, Cedric's not just going to confirm it in an interview.

Jibby has received a thanks from: DrakePain
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby DrakePain » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Jibby wrote:

I'd take it with a grain of salt. If the rumour is true, Cedric's not just going to confirm it in an interview.

Exactly, They are waiting till E3 for the announcement [-o<
DrakePain

PSN: SDG2013
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Full translation (Probably not as accurate as it would be the other way round).

Q: Right now, you are producing Shenmue 3, which is still in development. How did things go with Sega and Sony to finally achieve this?

Cédric Biscay :To be fair, I would say it was possible in the first place thanks to the original author, Yu Suzuki. I know him very well and met him several times. At first, it was impossible to seriously consider a sequel to Shenmue 2, because the Licence owners (SEGA) didn't want to hear about it. Over time, we (Shibuya Productions) and Yu Suzuki wanted to work together on a game. So we launched a project who could not be completed in the end. At the same time, the situation about Shenmue 3 changed and Shibuya Productions decided to produce it. It's also at this time that we chose to work with crowdfunding, in order to check if the Community (fan base) was large enough and if it could help us funding the game.
Ultimately, the decision to make Shenmue 3 comes from Yu Suzuki and Shibuya Productions. Of course, SEGA allows us to use the licence, since they are the owners of the Shenmue franchise. Actually, Sony comes in a second phase, once they saw that everything was secured, that fundings were provided to support the project.
They (Sony) helped us a lot in terms of communication, in particular during E3 (2015) in Los Angeles, when we did the big announcement. And then of course, they will soon participate actively with the game marketing.

Q: So, Shenmue 3 will come out for PC and PS4, right?

Cédric Biscay : That's right, still planned for PC & PS4.

Q: And for Xbox One ? It seems to me they were disagreements on the matter?

Cédric Biscay : Not specifically disagreement, it's more that Microsoft showed late interest in having Shenmue 3 compared to Sony. Obviously, it's easier to want something when everything is easily accessible. We must remember that way before E3 in Los Angeles, everybody was thinking "Well, Shenmue 3 will never come out, it is a bit of a holy grail" or "the first two games didn't sell well enough so nobody will be interested in Shenmue 3". Truth is, from the moment we decided we would bypass/avoid those obstacles, a lot more people showed interest in being part of the adventure.

Q: Since we talk about Shenmue 3, do you have some exclusive news for us? Release date or story elements for example, etc...?

Cédric Biscay : It's not the right time for exclusive news. I'm always surprised that people ask me on a regular basis about the release date because actually, we gave one right from the start and it hasn't changed to this day. It's April 15 right? To this day, Shenmue 3 is still planned for a December 2017 release date. The situation can evolve but there are no contradicting elements at the moment. In any case, we are not running late with development. It doesn't mean we cannot encounter last-minute hitch or whatever. Anyhow, to this day, the development team didn't report any problem to me.

Q: There is also a rumour about HD remasters of the first two Shenmue and apparently, they should come out this year. Do you know if they will really come out this year? Real facts or fiction ?

Cédric Biscay : First of all, ever since the beginning of the project, this is what we would like to happen. Apparently, it’s something SEGA wants too. It’s only my personal opinion but there’s every chance that SEGA has an interest for those remasters, especially considering all the hype surrounding Shenmue 3. So, I cannot officially confirm the remasters, since I don’t work at SEGA, but it seems logical to me that those games come out eventually. What we would really like to see though, is those games released before Shenmue 3 comes out. This would help us a lot with the marketing but would also bring new players to the Series, because to be fair, start a Saga with the third episode isn’t very cool. If people have played the remasters first, it would be much more fun.

Q : About Shenmue 3 gameplay. Is it going to reach a wide audience, that is to say those who already know the franchise and the new comers ?

Cédric Biscay : That’s what we aim for. That’s what we included with Yu Suzuki in the game. Actually, what we really don’t want, is disappoint the fans. This is essential. And we don’t want to cut our self off from the gamers, this is as simple as that. Therefore, we try to balance things for everybody to be happy but not by making the game hard. It’s essential to keep everybody happy in the true sense of the word. We don’t want to diminish aspects to please others. We want everybody to be happy with the game, this is our goal.

I didn't translate the rest of the interview, since it's not Shenmue relevant.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Switch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks for the translation Kiske!
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiske » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 am

Switch wrote: Thanks for the translation Kiske!

I'm the one on translation duty, for once. :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby shredingskin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 am

shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Return to News and Updates