Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Never played it before, so why not. Loved Koudelka and enjoying the original game so far (these alternative history games always fascinate me).

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 am

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:41 am

Henry Spencer wrote:

Never played it before, so why not. Loved Koudelka and enjoying the original game so far (these alternative history games always fascinate me).

Nice. That's a series I'm aching to get into eventually, just need to find that right moment and mood (and I want to go through Koudelka first, which I hear is tough). But yeah, talk about non-cliche JRPG aesthetics. Always looked like a blast to me.

On the other end, not quite as non-cliche in the JRPG area...

Been eying this for a while, but once it recently dropped to around 9 freakin' bucks on Amazon (a steal for almost any game), I threw in a new guitar strap so I could get free shipping and ordered that sucker up.
I haven't looked too far into it, so I don't know a ton of specifics, but it's supposed to be partly developed by a bunch of former Valkyrie Profile staff, and apparently the gameplay actually reflects that quite a bit. Sort of a spiritual successor in some ways (mostly gameplay), then. And even if it doesn't exactly buck the usual JRPG cliches, I still do like some of the design work quite a bit.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:00 pm

LOL I did the same thing. I think it was Thursday when I pulled the trigger. I leave stuff in my cart that I'm interested in so when I login to Amazon I can see the current price on the right side. I saw it dropped to $9 and bought it immediately. Not sure when I'll get to it but I won't pass on a $9 RPG.

Also picked up the Star Ocean hardcover guide for a penny. Yep a penny lol. I don't own the game yet but a deal is a deal. Best Buy has a bunch of them on clearance but this was the only good one.

Raithos has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm

OL wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:

Nice. That's a series I'm aching to get into eventually, just need to find that right moment and mood (and I want to go through Koudelka first, which I hear is tough). But yeah, talk about non-cliche JRPG aesthetics. Always looked like a blast to me.

On the other end, not quite as non-cliche in the JRPG area...

Been eying this for a while, but once it recently dropped to around 9 freakin' bucks on Amazon (a steal for almost any game), I threw in a new guitar strap so I could get free shipping and ordered that sucker up.
I haven't looked too far into it, so I don't know a ton of specifics, but it's supposed to be partly developed by a bunch of former Valkyrie Profile staff, and apparently the gameplay actually reflects that quite a bit. Sort of a spiritual successor in some ways (mostly gameplay), then. And even if it doesn't exactly buck the usual JRPG cliches, I still do like some of the design work quite a bit.

Raithos wrote:LOL I did the same thing. I think it was Thursday when I pulled the trigger. I leave stuff in my cart that I'm interested in so when I login to Amazon I can see the current price on the right side. I saw it dropped to $9 and bought it immediately. Not sure when I'll get to it but I won't pass on a $9 RPG.

Also picked up the Star Ocean hardcover guide for a penny. Yep a penny lol. I don't own the game yet but a deal is a deal. Best Buy has a bunch of them on clearance but this was the only good one.

Hahahaha, you're not going to believe this, but thanks to both of yourselves I've just done the same (ordered the Vita version through Amazon.com as an import). $10 for Exist Archive is really good. Couldn't pass that offer up. Over here in the UK it's like £24.99, so I'm getting it for less than half price. Thanks for the heads up!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:28 am

I bought Thimbleweed Park yesterday (after ripping my hair out deciding between it and snake pass for days lol) and so far I'm really liking it and I wanted to quickly post here about it. For those who don't know it plays like a classic point and click adventure days of old. It looks really stellar, especially in motion with great pixel art, parallax effects and lighting. It's on all platforms except PS4 in which I heard it'll come out 3 months later.

At first I was worried about the verb interface, as I grew up on adventure games after this during the Curse of Monkey Island/Broken Sword era. I've gotten used to it, but I do think it's a deterrent for those who are newer to the genre or intimidated with this style and tbh I think they shot themselves in the foot a bit doing this, but power to them wanting to stick to that. I respect that it actually helps you out in the right ways if you are stuck, for example everything is there for you to figure/work out in terms of items/links/clues etc.

Only slight downside so far is some of the humour at the beginning of my playthrough. Meta and fourth-wall breaking jokes are used in the older era point n' clicks but they're used quite tastefully. In this game though, I think they've taken some of it a bit too far with jokes about, I felt like it was getting in the way a bit with the amount they had, their should be a limit y'know?

I'm also glad we can add this to the list of kickstarter successes from a critical reception point of view. It's also the first game I own that you can crossplay with Xbox One/Windows 10, I think that's really cool for this type of game as I like the option of mouse controls. The gamepad is fine though but I think using verbs will infuriate some. I wonder if it'll support the touch pad on PS4? (I heard that thing isn't quite responsive though :/)

What's cool is just hearing about the kickstarter side of it. This game has a phone with a phonebook that you can dial numbers with to hear 700+ recordings from backers and there is an achievement linked to getting them (A quarter of which are in german apparently xD). There's also a library of books that you can read in which around 1500 backers got the chance to submit 2x A4 pages of creative literature. I really like the idea and way that they implemented it, looking forward to seeing them when I reach that point in the game.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Monkei » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:23 am

On sale for 4,99. First person arena shooter where everyone is invisible, so you gotta look at the other players' screens (there's always a splitscreen) to find out where they are. Not really a great game, but great fun for local multiplayer sessions.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Probably my favorite point-n-click of all time. I kind of prefer the old pixelated graphics, but whatever; Full Throttle in any form is a good friggin' time.
Probably grab a pizza on my next night off and finish the game in one evening. I remember nights like that when I was ten. Good ol' nostalgia.

OL has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, KiBa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kintor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

Recently I've bought both Bayonetta on PC and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap on PS4. Although, I haven't spent a lot of time playing either yet since I'm still working my way through Persona 5; I'm about 36 hours in at his point.

Plus, I've got Dawn of War III pre-ordered, which is releasing at the end of the month. Then Yakuza Kiwami later in the year. And I want to play Civilisation VI at some point before Christmas. This truly is an awesome time to be gamer. But there just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done.

If I could I'd seriously break the laws of physics and risk the destruction of reality itself... if I could just fit more gaming hours into the day. The epic backlog of unfinished games that has been piling up since the start of the year is starting to hurt my pride as a gamer.

Kintor has received a thanks from: OL
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bambi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:52 am

Kintor wrote:This truly is an awesome time to be gamer. But there just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done.

If I could I'd seriously break the laws of physics and risk the destruction of reality itself... if I could just fit more gaming hours into the day. The epic backlog of unfinished games that has been piling up since the start of the year is starting to hurt my pride as a gamer.

I get around an an hour and a half in the evening to play games but often I'm too tired. :-({|=

Bambi has received a thanks from: Kintor
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Raithos » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Pa Rappa could not have arrived on a better day!

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chaos » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:45 am

Chaos has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, KiBa
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Sonikku » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:11 pm

\:D/

Sonikku has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby KiBa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 pm

OL wrote: Image

Probably my favorite point-n-click of all time. I kind of prefer the old pixelated graphics, but whatever; Full Throttle in any form is a good friggin' time.
Probably grab a pizza on my next night off and finish the game in one evening. I remember nights like that when I was ten. Good ol' nostalgia.

Don't tempt me, Frodo!!!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming