Sega E3 Product Categories

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Sega E3 Product Categories

Postby James Brown » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Probably nothing to go crazy over, but was checking out Sega's E3 page on the E3 website, and they appear to be entered into 5 categories for the event.

- Product Categories (5)
Free-to-play > PC/Windows
Role-Playing > PC/Windows
Role-Playing > Sony Playstation 4
Role-Playing > Xbox One
Strategy > PC/Windows

Role-Playing is a fairly specific category, and Shenmue HD would obviously fit the bill for that, especially on all 3 platforms aswell, since it would be a port i'm sure they would look to push it on PC and PS4 obviously, but why not Xbox One also...?

Obviously, other games they could be showing off like Valkyria Revolution and Yakuza Kiwami, you could also say fit that category aswell...but still just thought it was interesting enough to share.

Here's the link if you are interested :) -

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/ex ... D=Vc59qhav

EDIT: Hmm, just discovered theres another section for Atlus / Sega, and here they are entered into 103 different categories...again some pretty interesting and specifc stuff! Making me extremely excited :D!! -

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/ex ... D=8xgYppwY

James Brown has received 6 thanks from: Jibby, John Doom, Kintor, Kiske, Mr357, Sonoshee
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Sega E3 Product Categories

Postby Kintor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Very interesting. The first link you mentioned is actually about Sega of Europe, who mostly focuses on PC games. While 'Atlus/Sega' in the second link probably refers to Sega of America, since American Sega and Atlus stuff now share the same office space. This appears to follow the same approach as last year’s E3, when Sega of Europe opted for their own separate booth.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:26 am

Role playing on three platforms (inc. Xbox One)... Yakuza and Valkyria have never come to the Xbox so I'm inclined to say SHENMUE HD! :P

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, James Brown
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 am

Sonoshee wrote: Role playing on three platforms (inc. Xbox One)... Yakuza and Valkyria have never come to the Xbox so I'm inclined to say SHENMUE HD! :P

This "Friends" scene... legendary! :lol:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 am

Kiske wrote:
Sonoshee wrote: Role playing on three platforms (inc. Xbox One)... Yakuza and Valkyria have never come to the Xbox so I'm inclined to say SHENMUE HD! :P

This "Friends" scene... legendary! :lol:

I'll totally screech like Ross if its announced in June :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby adom11800 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 am

Man, this is getting my hopes up but I'm trying not to let it. Isn't Shenmue known as a Action/Adventure though? Don't wanna get too excited but I guess we will wait and see what happens..
Last edited by adom11800 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 am

I'm not very familiar with the E3 "agenda/philosophy".

Product Categories (5)

Role-Playing > Xbox One
Strategy > PC/Windows

What does it mean exactly?

Are those special events (panels) held by SEGA during E3, highlighted products, new games revealed?

Kiske has received a thanks from: James Brown
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 am

Great find! Looking through this and trying to make sense of it all, we can definitely start to piece a few things together.

I personally would also categorise the Shenmue series into the 'Action/Adventure' category but in the case of these listings I don't think it is. On the Atlus/Sega the devices listed here are super vast (WiiU, VR, 3DS,VITA, SWITCH, etc) and to me it doesn't seem to fit into those categories.

So I think the OP was right to predict that the Shenmue Remaster is a lot more likely to be listed under 'Role-playing' on the SEGA Europe page (as the only consoles listed here are PC, PS4 and Xbox). Some could see this as Valkyria Revolution but I don't think it is as we definitely know that is developed/published by Atlus/Sega and distributed by Deep Silver. And as far as I know, Sega Europe works of a very narrow/iterative style of Strategy/RTS/Simulation games, so it does stand out to see 'Role Playing' here, especially so for consoles (as they almost exclusively produce PC games).

Which leads us to: How possible is it for SEGA Europe to publish this game? As far as we know it's very much a possibility. They were the ones who (a couple of times) openly discussed about the possibility of the remasters and answered that fan question on the SEGA Youtube channel. I believe the url's from last September also traces back to them specifically.

The only inconsistency here is the RICE Digital rumour, in which cites an anonymous source at Atlus. While he never disclosed that Atlus was specifically publishing Shenmue (they could still aware/report rumours on behalf of its development at Sega Europe) but imo that rumour starting to sound slightly less credible especially when considering 'Shenmue 3 is getting delayed to 2018' and just the just how there's nothing tangible to it (people here joke that anyone could've said that after all).

Before I continue and sound like Jim Carrey in 23, could it be possible that it isn't in the listings yet? If it is indeed one of them (perhaps the SEGA Europe one) like Sonoshee I'm happy to see it (potentially) coming to Xbox! The bulk of games that I purchase does lean towards that platform and it'll be easier for me to purchase an additional copy/recommend to family/friends who only own one platform (I'll be buying it for all platforms I think, depending on whether my potato laptop could run it, otherwise Xbone/PS4). It does mean sony is unlikely to shadow drop it by releasing it on that day (which would cause so many people to make impulse purchases like with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3) but perhaps it could come out shortly after or be a timed exclusive (like MvC3) for 3 months and tie that into it's announcement on Sony's stage only (and mention other platforms at the booth).

My body is prepared for excitement! 53 days left! :-p

(Also, props to SEGA supporting so many platforms! The Atlus/SEGA page is crazy! There doesn't seem to be any exclusives. The WiiU seems to be getting a lot of love there, hell even the PSP getting something! :-O)

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: James Brown
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby munchmunch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 am

Valkyria Revolution is though, but on the other hand that's not coming out on PC and the release date is in June for the west. So perhaps you're right, I'm hoping so anyways!

munchmunch has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, James Brown
munchmunch

Postby Telekill » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am

If an announcement for Shenmue HD Collection would be happening, I would think this upcoming E3 would be the place to do it. If Shenmue 3 is on target and actually releases this December, that would give newcomers to the series a max of six months to play through the first two games.

I truly hope that Xbox players get the Shenmue treatment as well. That said, I'm hoping that with Shenmue 3 that YsNet focuses on the PS4 and PC versions and get those completed before spending resource time and money on porting it to the X1.

Telekill has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, James Brown
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby James Brown » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote: Great find! Looking through this and trying to make sense of it all, we can definitely start to piece a few things together.

I personally would also categorise the Shenmue series into the 'Action/Adventure' category but in the case of these listings I don't think it is. On the Atlus/Sega the devices listed here are super vast (WiiU, VR, 3DS,VITA, SWITCH, etc) and to me it doesn't seem to fit into those categories.

So I think the OP was right to predict that the Shenmue Remaster is a lot more likely to be listed under 'Role-playing' on the SEGA Europe page (as the only consoles listed here are PC, PS4 and Xbox). Some could see this as Valkyria Revolution but I don't think it is as we definitely know that is developed/published by Atlus/Sega and distributed by Deep Silver. And as far as I know, Sega Europe works of a very narrow/iterative style of Strategy/RTS/Simulation games, so it does stand out to see 'Role Playing' here, especially so for consoles (as they almost exclusively produce PC games).

Which leads us to: How possible is it for SEGA Europe to publish this game? As far as we know it's very much a possibility. They were the ones who (a couple of times) openly discussed about the possibility of the remasters and answered that fan question on the SEGA Youtube channel. I believe the url's from last September also traces back to them specifically.

The only inconsistency here is the RICE Digital rumour, in which cites an anonymous source at Atlus. While he never disclosed that Atlus was specifically publishing Shenmue (they could still aware/report rumours on behalf of its development at Sega Europe) but imo that rumour starting to sound slightly less credible especially when considering 'Shenmue 3 is getting delayed to 2018' and just the just how there's nothing tangible to it (people here joke that anyone could've said that after all).

Before I continue and sound like Jim Carrey in 23, could it be possible that it isn't in the listings yet? If it is indeed one of them (perhaps the SEGA Europe one) like Sonoshee I'm happy to see it (potentially) coming to Xbox! The bulk of games that I purchase does lean towards that platform and it'll be easier for me to purchase an additional copy/recommend to family/friends who only own one platform (I'll be buying it for all platforms I think, depending on whether my potato laptop could run it, otherwise Xbone/PS4). It does mean sony is unlikely to shadow drop it by releasing it on that day (which would cause so many people to make impulse purchases like with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3) but perhaps it could come out shortly after or be a timed exclusive (like MvC3) for 3 months and tie that into it's announcement on Sony's stage only (and mention other platforms at the booth).

My body is prepared for excitement! 53 days left! :-p

(Also, props to SEGA supporting so many platforms! The Atlus/SEGA page is crazy! There doesn't seem to be any exclusives. The WiiU seems to be getting a lot of love there, hell even the PSP getting something! :-O)

Nice thoughts Flagship, it's SkillJim from the twitch stream btw :), it was also me that actually had the fan question about Shenmue HD on the Sega Europe Youtube channel lol! But you make a great point that the Europe side of it seems alot more likely to be Shenmue HD, since they have been the ones vocal about the HD remasters and the series, and it just seems to add up in their E3 listings here aswell :)

Here's that video where they answered my #AskSega question - https://youtu.be/elvoX2kb2X0?t=101

Kiske wrote:I'm not very familiar with the E3 "agenda/philosophy".

Product Categories (5)

Role-Playing > Xbox One
Strategy > PC/Windows

What does it mean exactly?

Are those special events (panels) held by SEGA during E3, highlighted products, new games revealed?

I believe it means the categories they've applied for in relation to the games they have planned to show. So they could have 10 games, 8 that all fall into the Free-to-play PC / Windows category, 1 which falls into the Strategy PC / Windows category, and 1 game that happens to fall into all 3 Role-Playing categories :P...Shenmue :P ? Hehe...we'll have to wait and see, but it's definitely exciting :)

James Brown has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 pm

A morsel of hope, yes, but these morsels always ruin my day when I realize I've just eaten a morsel of a nothing burger. :(

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: James Brown
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:05 am

I think this might be something else. Or nothing at all, actually.

The product categories are vague, and when looking at the SEGA/Atlus page it had a lot of generic listings that don't really relate to any of SEGA's upcoming games and probably doesn't reflect future plans either. It just seems like exhibitor fluff and trade show bureaucracy.

Besides that, information pertaining to unannounced games is usually kept private.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: James Brown
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:35 am

Spaghetti wrote:I think this might be something else. Or nothing at all, actually.

The product categories are vague, and when looking at the SEGA/Atlus page it had a lot of generic listings that don't really relate to any of SEGA's upcoming games and probably doesn't reflect future plans either. It just seems like exhibitor fluff and trade show bureaucracy.

Besides that, information pertaining to unannounced games is usually kept private.

I'm inclined to agree with Spags. Shenmue IIIs original reveal was a big boon for Sony, despite its niche status per se. It was voted a huge E3 moment for them.

An unexpected and unannounced reveal of the HD Collection in conjunction with IIIs first trailer would be far more successful in the long run than a smaller announcement at a Sega panel or booth.

Time will tell if that is how it plays out, but I expect it at least somewhat.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BigTuna » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:14 am

This is getting intense! I hope Switch is a possibility. It really doesn't matter what system it's on, but experiencing Shenmue with joy-cons just seems so right.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Next

Return to Shenmue III