The quest for offline Passport access

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: The quest for offline Passport access

Postby Radar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 pm

Switch wrote:
Radar wrote: kind of stuck in hex replacement stage, In gdi image, in which file to search&replace? I tried all files but no results were returned. I found reversed one, but it didn't seem to change anything

Thanks for trying it out! Ok, seems there may be some difference with gdi image as I've been using a cdi image (NTSC) for my testing. I'll take a look at it.

Yeah, its probably that, or I screwed up somewhere
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:19 am

Just no words for this Switch. Sensational work!!! I will be firing up the PC today so I will give it a whirl and see how it goes. I'm already getting that huge nostalgia trip just by looking at the photos!!!!

Peter has received a thanks from: Switch
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Switch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 am

Peter wrote:I will be firing up the PC today so I will give it a whirl and see how it goes. I'm already getting that huge nostalgia trip just by looking at the photos!!!!

Excellent! PM me if you need any help with it.

Just a couple of notes on the current status:

- For now the patch has been confirmed only for the NTSC Shenmue Passport, on a CDI disc image.
- It appears that the PAL Shenmue Passport has slightly different code. I am working on a patch for the PAL version which I hope to have ready soon.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby b_ren » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:52 am

I have downloaded what I think is a NTSC copy and opened the GDI in 2 different hex editors but when I run a search it doesn't find the hex sequence. I presume it's just a case of opening the GDI in the software and running a search from there?
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 am

b_ren wrote: I have downloaded what I think is a NTSC copy and opened the GDI in 2 different hex editors but when I run a search it doesn't find the hex sequence. I presume it's just a case of opening the GDI in the software and running a search from there?

Radar reported something similar earlier, and I checked it today and can clarify that this patch can't be applied directly to a GDI image of the disc.

It should be applied to either a CDI or MDF image of the Passport disc (currently NTSC only, with a PAL patch to follow shortly).

Further Update:

I've updated the patch instructions in the post to cover the PAL version as well as NTSC.

Switch has received a thanks from: Radar
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Radar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 am

Switch wrote:I've updated the patch instructions in the post to cover the PAL version as well as NTSC.

Awesome! it seems that patch works with gdi after all, it has to be applied to track07.bin file.
from what I tested animals trading fully works :shock: , and that detailed stats is amazing!

Radar has received a thanks from: b_ren
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Switch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 am

Radar wrote:
Switch wrote:I've updated the patch instructions in the post to cover the PAL version as well as NTSC.

Awesome! it seems that patch works with gdi after all, it has to be applied to track07.bin file.
from what I tested animals trading fully works :shock: , and that detailed stats is amazing!

That's excellent!

Thanks for the information on updating a GDI, I'll make a note of that in the blog.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:23 pm

I got a chance to try it out myself now and it's really the biggest convenience one can think of to just be able to access the game relevant features. I will definately check the weather, cat and statistics every now and then on my next proper playthrough, something I can't even remember if I ever did right.

It's already mentioned in the blog post but some of the features that need an online connection to access data really don't work here. It's not like much is missing here, basically just text boxes saying something like "the data cannot be retrieved" but it's still odd that the Online Manual doesn't even allow you to move the cursor and some screens require a soft reset.

Don't know if this could be improved by refining the hack but it's not too big of a deal as the text behind it is lost forever anyway. At least until a rerelease arrived and they do include the Passport.

Radar wrote:and that detailed stats is amazing!

I know, right? Games love to do that nowadays but back then this was just mind blowing. The amount of values stored in there is still virtually unmatched to this day. No wonder the save files take so much space on the VMU.

By the way, never noticed this typo before. :lol:

BlueMue has received a thanks from: b_ren
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:00 am

BlueMue wrote:it's still odd that the Online Manual doesn't even allow you to move the cursor and some screens require a soft reset.

Yes, it would be nice to get the navigation working / freezing fixed in these spots.

BlueMue wrote:By the way, never noticed this typo before. :lol:

Huh, me neither. I had to look twice to find it, even with your screen capture!
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby b_ren » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 am

This topic sent me down a road of nostalgia.

A little off topic but I found this video of Phantasy Star online and it's funny to remember how new online gaming was to a lot of people back then.

phpBB [video]

Wish I had a chance to play or use the online functionality at the time but I was just too young and pocket money wasn't enough to pay for the dial up costs.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:07 am

So b_ren, were you able to successfully patch your GDI image (track07.bin)?

Switch has received a thanks from: b_ren
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby masterchan777 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 am

I've made an easy patch for the PAL GDI version that contains the widescreen fix by Esspiral in addition to this fix, so you can apply both fixes without manually editing any files.

To apply the patch:

1- Download this zip file and extract it.
2- Copy track07.bin from your PAL Shenmue Passport GDI disc into the "Passport" folder you'll find when you extracted the zip file.
3- Run patch.bat.
4- Copy track07.bin file from "Passport\Fixed" folder back into the GDI folder of the Passport disc.
5- Enjoy the extra content in widescreen.

I don't have the widescreen fix code for the US version, so if Esspiral can dig it up, I'll provide an easy patch for the US GDI version as well if needed.

Thanks Switch for this great finding.

masterchan777 has received 4 thanks from: Esppiral, Mr357, ner0, Switch
masterchan777
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby b_ren » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Switch wrote: So b_ren, were you able to successfully patch your GDI image (track07.bin)?

Just got around to checking this and can confirm all works okay! :D
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 pm

b_ren wrote:
Switch wrote: So b_ren, were you able to successfully patch your GDI image (track07.bin)?

Just got around to checking this and can confirm all works okay! :D

Great!

P.S. BlueMue, maybe we could update the thread title to reflect the progress?
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 am

Phenomenal work Switch. My mind is truly blown. Wow.

I'll be testing this out when i get a day off. Super excited to do so.

Great work.

ShenSun has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, Switch
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects