Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Two Weeks Left

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:46 am

Just realised the countdown timer has ticked down to single digit days.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:05 am

What is it counting down to? The kickstarter updates so far haven't said which day the business area showing will happen. Are things different on that side and the media already knows what time they'll be meeting with YSnet?
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 am

It's counting down to the opening of the press day, on the 22nd.

In lieu of any further public information, it's good enough; and generally from when we can expect information/media to start getting released from the event.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

May or may not be a troll post

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 pm

It's counting down to "it's fucking nothing.gif"
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There will be video. I think we'll be okay.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:22 pm

To be honest, I'm not expecting much per se. A few clips possibly. I dunno, Gamescom doesn't feel like a "blow your load" event for Shenmue. It's a nice opportunity to start the ball rolling, but I am not expecting.....

Hell I dunno what I expect. I guess I am just keeping my expectations very much in check, even for this.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jibby » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Regardless, it's not 'fucking nothing'.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Yea I mean I at least have the expectation that we will see more than what we would see in the usual Kickstarter update, that's for sure. But looking at the language used and nature of the trip to Gamescom, it seems more like a business orientated trip to me than a public display trip. Something to utilise the media to get on Shenmues side. I recon there will be A LOT of interviews at this event, and the opportunity to see some fresh material to make journalists say WOW, and go off to write an article in a good Shenmue light.

Just my train of thought there, but of course, I could be full of shit like.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:57 pm

You're most likely on the right track, Peter. It's low-key for a re-reveal, but I'm increasingly getting the feeling it could be a very smart choice.

There's no point trying to hang with the AAA crowd with a flashy 2 minute overview trailer, because it won't be able to compete (although Shenmue III will probably get its day again at a press conference before release).

But there's a lot of good PR to be potentially gained by inviting the press in for closer look at the details of what YSnet have created. Shenmue III won't sell on spectacle, it'll sell on its depth and artistry, and it's looking like YSnet's Gamescom plans could be made with that in mind.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Senpai Gamer
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Yea it's a double edged sword. You can take the quiet approach and hit a PSX crowd with a surprise 3 minute all out trailer, OR you can slow build the promotion. The latter fits in with the entire mantra of Shenmue 3s existence since 2015. It's a slow methodical progression. I really believe this is the beginning of a long running promotional campaign to get the name of Shenmue 3 to re-emerge out there in the media, and this is the perfect start. Use the media for what they are supposed to be used for. Have them do the work.

It's a week away now and I am starting to get those heartbeat flutters and bursts of excitement. I haven't been sleeping properly for some time, well since June '15 to be honest. Its just a way of life for me now. But this time next week I will be awake for sure since I will be leaving in the morning.

Peter has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 pm

I do wonder about how the announcements will tie into what YSnet shows at Gamescom.

There's plenty of Kickstarter housekeeping stuff, but there's nothing that would specifically need to be said at Gamescom. They could just be trying to get it out of the way at once, or maybe there's more to it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Anything that's not gameplay footage, or at the very least our first look at Ryo's 3D model, would be a let down IMHO.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: Anything that's not gameplay footage, or at the very least our first look at Ryo's 3D model, would be a let down IMHO.

I think we've all got ideas about what we really want to see, but in the grand scheme of things? There's no point being militant about it.

Whatever YSnet has to show, they thought it was worth travelling halfway around the world for, and confident enough to present it to a room full of games media.

Uhhhh... that said? You might just end up getting what you want. :lol:

What we know about YSnet's Gamescom setup lends itself to a demonstration of the game in action. Maybe not uninterrupted moment-to-moment gameplay, but quite possibly a flying tour through the mechanics in action, the game world, how they're handling simulation of NPC behavior, time, weather, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:22 am

I don't think we'll get a deep gameplay overlook/walkthrough, at Gamescom. Seems to soon for that.
However, I'm expecting some clips and screenshots which will finally show just what Shenmue 3 will look like when we play it. The whole aesthetic, the towns, the NPCs, the animations, a little bit of combat footage... And, obviously, at least a (very) updated version of Ryo's and Shenhua's faces. Something that, while surely different, will still be acceptable to us Shenmue fans and which looks like a natural evolution of their faces.
And, obviously (and this is more likely), a ton of information.

If we just get some teaser-like clips and screenshots, like the ones we got at MAGIC and the ones we've been getting in KS updates, I'll be very disappointed. Still, I'll keep my expectations in check.
Last edited by O Rei do Frango Assado on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby iyapol » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:20 am

I'm genuinely not bothered what we do or don't get. I'd be happy with anything. Just grateful we're getting something.

Can't wait!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III