New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Esppiral wrote: Upon closer inspection it looks that the models are based off the Passports ones....

Yet they somehow managed to make them look ugly, maybe are those dead eyes, maybe in motion they will look fine, time will tell.

Like i said, 95% of the problems of these models are basically coming from:

1)Unfortunate lighting (and this factor alone can hugely change the perception of someone's face shape)
2)Not so great hair rendering/hairstyles still not completely accurate to the original characters' ones
3)Fucked up and out of context color balance/contrast/luminosity/gamma/whatever
4)Slightly plasticky-er skin shaders

Also someone thought that using an image of a Ryo model with crossed eyes for a marketing piece was a good idea

A slight tweak to a couple of details alone would hugely change the overall vibe of these models.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Esppiral wrote:No one wants realistic characters, Shenmue is more about stylized charecters, I don't see Why they can't atempt to use similar aesthetics, no one is asking for Realistic characters, but for charecters that remotely resemble to the one they are atempting to cosplay...

Actually basic facial features of this new Ryo are mostly identical to the passport one, yet, they fail to match its aesthetics.

Yes Dreamcast Ryo never looked like the passport during normal gameplay, yet it didn't look like the continuous abominations we are getting, so.... If we have to choose one..

I won't get tired of repeating the same, passport model quality is nothing unreachable, and they still look fenomenal even today, not AAA level, but quite serviceable

Shen Huas Passport says hi.

This is far from being realistic, yet is appealing, something those new characters fail to achieve.

Come on man.

You know this new Ryo isn't Passport Ryo, nor is it trying to be. It's THIS Ryo:

The one we actually played as rather than the Passport model or CG art that was inconsistent from one image to the next. The new model is almost completely analogous to that render I posted.

If anything the new model makes it completely clear why they photoshopped the old render onto that screen from December. THIS is the intended look for Ryo, clinging onto the Passport model is just a fool's game at this point.

Now Shenhua, is a different story. She looks dead eyed and kinda weird, but it might just be the angle. Even weirder, the Shenhua model is taking inspiration from the CG art that gave her sharper, daintier features rather than the rounded youthful ones we saw in her in-game models on Dreamcast. I don't know what the fuck is going on there. If they're looking to the Dreamcast games for inspiration for Ryo's model, they should do it for Shenhua too.

But abominations? Give me a break. The amount of pearl-clutching, hyperbole-spewing madness over pretty serviceable and improved (over 2015) models is nuts. It's always the same schtick. Some of you will genuinely never be happy with Shenmue III if it isn't exactly how you imagined it.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.

Well after you said that you would personally feel betrayed if Lan Di smiled once in a way that displeased you, I don't think anyone here seriously cares what you think.

I barely understand the purpose of this message apart showing your feelings deeply hurt when someone expresses opposite opinion than yours, but anyway...

Opposite opinions are all well and good. When someone lives on a forum trashing someone else's work at every opportunity they get because they think they're a connoisseur of game design that's a different matter entirely.

Saying all my posts are offensive is a biased and very unfair observation.

Then it's not my fault if 75% of the shown work so far is highly disappointing. I would like to be like Peter and see only the positive, but there are things that cannot be omitted. If you want to be reassured, I don't think the game is turning bad at all. The official com around is just... shocking and not very professional, and that's a real concern for me.

We are all linked together to Shenmue by our passion for Suzuki and his games. A community gathers every type of character, from the over-passionate person to the eternal moaner. Well, looks like the second role is given to me. Be sure I'm not pleased with that.

Yes, you're right. We are linked together by our passion for Shenmue and your constant complaining about virtually everything you see in virtually every update (which not only myself but others are calling you out on) is only just an extension of that passion. I'm sure Suzuki loves having us passionate fans trash his work as 'the ugliest thing I've ever seen' after he's only just returned to game design and is doing the best he can on his first project.

I feel bad for him knowing he's practically living at his job when he could be at home with his family because he's putting this game first in his life for his fans, and then people like you who haven't made a game before in your life routinely come on here and 'passionately' moan about it.

Because this is just 'the ugliest thing' isn't it?

Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby punkmanced » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:03 pm

This looks like a hastily put together promo piece; needless to say, I’ll reserve final judgment for the game’s official unveiling.

So far, I love the environments, but hate the character models, at least in that one specific pic. Shenhua especially, who looks like a lifeless marionette. Ryo looks…off; something with the eyes and the shading.

Fingers crossed, this is just a fucked up pic using placeholders (characters, logo). Then again, why they would even consider doing that in the first place is beyond me, given that Gamescom is one week away.

I don’t know. Like I said, I’ll wait till the unveiling.

Carry on, gentlemen.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:07 pm

I don't criticize Ys Net's work. I criticize the decision either to make a Shenmue 3 with so few resources or to promise monthly content with nothing. The challenge is also to sell Shenmue 3 well for Shenmue 4 perspectives. YSnet is really playing with fire by publishing crazy stuff like that.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Ziming » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby johnvivant » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Kiske wrote: I have done a few very very minor change to the new model.
(the face is more thin and long now, jaw shape is slightly softer and eyes smaller but you need to compare them to really see a difference)

Maybe I'm getting used to this new Ryo, but I find it very good and definitely close to how I imagined him for Shenmue 3.

if the new model looks like this IN-GAME i will be very happy. huge improvement over the kickstarter monstrosity.
its seems that they've made a stylistic decision for how the in-game characters will look, and its neither photo realism or 90's CG.
I personally would have prefered 90's CG look but i think the new style is more than acceptable. i'll reserve any further judgment until i see the game in motion..
the environments are exquisite!

new font is better than papyrus but still not as good as the original cursive, which i hope they will keep.
Last edited by johnvivant on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Enigma wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.

Well after you said that you would personally feel betrayed if Lan Di smiled once in a way that displeased you, I don't think anyone here seriously cares what you think.

I barely understand the purpose of this message apart showing your feelings deeply hurt when someone expresses opposite opinion than yours, but anyway...

Opposite opinions are all well and good. When someone lives on a forum trashing someone else's work at every opportunity they get because they think they're a connoisseur of game design that's a different matter entirely.

Saying all my posts are offensive is a biased and very unfair observation.

Then it's not my fault if 75% of the shown work so far is highly disappointing. I would like to be like Peter and see only the positive, but there are things that cannot be omitted. If you want to be reassured, I don't think the game is turning bad at all. The official com around is just... shocking and not very professional, and that's a real concern for me.

We are all linked together to Shenmue by our passion for Suzuki and his games. A community gathers every type of character, from the over-passionate person to the eternal moaner. Well, looks like the second role is given to me. Be sure I'm not pleased with that.

Yes, you're right. We are linked together by our passion for Shenmue and your constant complaining about virtually everything you see in virtually every update (which not only myself but others are calling you out on) is only just an extension of that passion. I'm sure Suzuki loves having us passionate fans trash his work as 'the ugliest thing I've ever seen' after he's only just returned to game design and is doing the best he can on his first project.

I feel bad for him knowing he's practically living at his job when he could be at home with his family because he's putting this game first in his life for his fans, and then people like you who haven't made a game before in your life routinely come on here and 'passionately' moan about it.

Because this is just 'the ugliest thing' isn't it?

Ryo's face isn't as bad as I initially thought, especially compared to the first model we saw, but that logo is a monstrosity. It somehow almost looks as bad as the Papyrus logo. It almost looks like they took the Papyrus and put it through a few Photoshop filters and used a smudge/blur tool to put in the finishing touches. Why fix what isn't broken? I really don't get how this is all gonna work in the end.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Enigma
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Well, meanwhile everybody is worried with Ryo and Shenhua's prototype models, I'm just intrigued of how this partnership will handle the worldwide publishing of Shenmue. Once $ONY was going to be the publisher, and now it seems like it is not, what is it's role now?

Hope you guys attending GamesCon and meeting Suzuki-San ask the RIGHT questions for him and take out some more precise answers regarding this.
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm

A lot of rewrites are happening right now, that's for sure.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote: Well, meanwhile everybody is worried with Ryo and Shenhua's prototype models, I'm just intrigued of how this partnership will handle the worldwide publishing of Shenmue. Once $ONY was going to be the publisher, and now it seems like it is not, what is it's role now?

Hope you guys attending GamesCon and meeting Suzuki-San ask the RIGHT questions for him and take out some more precise answers regarding this.

I'm no expert, but I don't think Sony ever said they were publishing the game. They offered marketing and development support for the PS4 version. Why would they publish a PC game?
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Yokosuka wrote: This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.

Yokosuka wrote: I don't criticize Ys Net's work.

And now you're lying/contradicting yourself and I cannot take talking with you seriously anymore. End of discussion.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby Verderame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Shenmue 3 Ryo's face with Passport Ryo's hairstyle and adjusted coloration comparison #2:

So uhm...? This seems pretty good to me?

Verderame has received 2 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, Your Boy Leroy
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Enigma wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: This is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life.

Yokosuka wrote: I don't criticize Ys Net's work.

And now you're lying/contradicting yourself and I cannot take talking with you seriously anymore. End of discussion.

????? I'm able to respect a work that I'm strongly disapproving. I don't get your point.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote: Well, meanwhile everybody is worried with Ryo and Shenhua's prototype models, I'm just intrigued of how this partnership will handle the worldwide publishing of Shenmue. Once $ONY was going to be the publisher, and now it seems like it is not, what is it's role now?

Yes. It'd be interesting to see how this goes.

From the press release they appear still to be involved. They may have relinquished publishing rights, but keeping exclusivity in return for... idk.

Verderame wrote: Shenmue 3 Ryo's face with Passport Ryo's hairstyle and adjusted coloration comparison #2:

So uhm...? This seems pretty good to me?

Yeah that looks like a nice compromise.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III