Deep Silver Partnership Signed + Gamescom Meet & Greet info

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Deep Silver Partnership Signed + Gamescom Meet & Greet i

Postby Telekill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 pm

I really don't have a problem with this. To me, the publisher doesn't make the game but simply ensures that it gets out to the public. I am a little worried about the possible amount of exposure the game will get via advertising as I can't recall seeing any advertising for a few of Deep Silver's games, but I'm sure that the fans, as loud as we are, will do a good job of word of mouth advertising. That will help.

Telekill has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Yokosuka
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:00 am

Telekill wrote:To me, the publisher doesn't make the game but simply ensures that it gets out to the public.

Well it depends.

I'm assuming you don't know about the whole Dead Island 2 fiasco?
Deep Silver weren't happy with how the game was turning out, so removed it from the-then developer due to "creative differences" and handed it off to Sumo Digital, who are now working on it.
I'm not saying this will happen with Shenmue 3, but at this point we don't know what sort of clout Deep Silver hold.
This is why I have a bad taste in my mouth them teaming with Deep Silver inparticular. Their track record isn't brilliant, despite releasing some pretty cool games to the west.

Deep down I know Yu Suzuki wouldn't have made the deal if he felt any sort of creative power would have been taken away from him, but I don't think that means Deep Silver won't hold any sort of influence in some respect if they've put money into the pot.

I don't know, I just feel uneasy with the deal. I'd prefer to know why Sony aren't publishing, as originally intended, if I'm honest.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: fittersau
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shenhaZ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:24 am

Don't worry, Deep Silver need only for distribution of physical boxes to the stores around the Europe and US, it would be impossible to YS Net to make them alone, as Sony is not their publisher.

Maybe they also provided some additional funding in exchange of %.
shenhaZ
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Lucky Hit

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 am

So does anyone know whether they're fully funding Shenmue III or not? That would be amazing!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:07 am

Deep Silver own the Dead Island IP I believe, which is why they could do what they did by passing Dead Island 2 to another developer when their first contracted dev weren't providing the desired results. That would be impossible for Shenmue III, for obvious reasons.

Either way, they're coming on two years after the project went into action, with maybe just one more year left before theoretical release. I'd like to think Deep Silver know what they're publishing, with no real intention to request major changes. I don't really think Yu would enter in a partnership if those kind of compromises were on the table anyway.

As for why Sony and Shibuya Productions are no longer publishing, there could be a few reasons, but none of them are alarming based on what we know.

So first of all, Sony doesn't seem out of the picture. The press release confirmed console exclusivity and the title still appears to be under the supervision of Sony's 3rd Party Production team. I would not be surprised if Sony is still involved in marketing.

Shibuya stepping back is more interesting than Sony, because Shibuya has a multi-million investment in Shenmue III. So the PC port, IMO, now has a better chance of being a higher quality because of this move. Deep Silver has connections and networks with studios that could either assist YSnet with the port, or port the game in its entirety. Shibuya, who were previously in charge of the PC version (which would have included porting I guess), doesn't have that. They may have been able to find a good studio to do it, but Deep Silver is more suited to that kind of thing. Shibuya may have stepped back for this reason, to allow a more established game publisher do the work for the good of the game.

So are Deep Silver providing development funding for the game? That bit is unclear, but looking at the lineage of having a year+ delay and a new publisher announced within months of each other, they could be the ones footing the bill to get the game over the finish line, but we won't know for sure without confirmation.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Sonoshee, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:16 am

I'm more interested in learning about funding as well, now that Deep Silver is involved. Yu said the power of UE4 will enable him to incorporate features that weren't reached by the KS, but we don't yet have specifics on what those features are.

It's feasible that Deep Silver approached Yu, offering roughly $3 million to fund the remaining KS goals, in exchange for the publishing rights.

I think it is too early to start worrying about the state of the project. I've been following the RE4 HD Project, a fan made adequate remaster of the classic game. They went through and redid the environments first and are just now turning their attention to the character models.

It could be something similar with III--making sure environments and atmosphere is stellar first BEFORE moving into character models.

I still don't know who thought the new logo was a good idea. The June one was solid, so let's hope they show an adherence to fan reaction and go back to it.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am

Yeah. The new logo is junk and I have no idea why they've changed it, but we've already proven before if fans make noise about it, it'll get changed.

Hopefully it's one of the things brought up with Yu next week.

If anybody here is attending the meet n' greets, asking him politely about it might be worthwhile. I think the point needs to be made that even non-fans find the logo unappealing, just like the Papyrus font. The cursive font is a fan-pleaser and ahead of the others in aesthetics terms by a wiiiiide margin. It would be a waste to not use it.

Yu takes fans seriously, so as long as people aren't rude about it I know he'll at least listen earnestly.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:10 pm

An answer to the entire logo issue will be something I am absolutely making sure I leave Germany with so sit tight. If I can't get an answer publically, I will make sure and get it privately.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: Elevensixty, fittersau, KidMarine, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby KidMarine » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Peter wrote: An answer to the entire logo issue will be something I am absolutely making sure I leave Germany with so sit tight. If I can't get an answer publically, I will make sure and get it privately.

You're the best dude, seriously.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Scizz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:44 pm

So I'm all the way in California and cannot fly to Europe for the meet and greet. I know this is a stretch, but is there ANY way someone could get a sweet Yu autograph for me? It would mean the world!
Scizz
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: scizzryo
Steam: scottbulance
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:51 pm

lol I was so focused on the characters I didn't even notice the logo. Anyone know if deep silver have anything to do with it? To me it looks Chinese in the way that a westerner would try to portray something Chinese if that makes sense.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:27 pm

^ The Choubu screenshot basically made me think of Shadow of Warrior remake, an arcade FPS that I recommend to everyone who likes fun and colourful Chinese architecture.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Centrale » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Peter wrote: An answer to the entire logo issue will be something I am absolutely making sure I leave Germany with so sit tight. If I can't get an answer publically, I will make sure and get it privately.

I'm sure you can articulate the issue quite well, Peter - and thank you for doing so. My concern about the new logo has to do with the fact that writing with a brush is an art form in itself, and in some regards involves a similar type of practice and focus to martial arts. And this new logo looks like it was done by someone who, well, really has no skill with the brush. Think of it this way... it looks like it would represent Fuku-san's level of skill, not Ryo's. :lol:
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Telekill wrote:To me, the publisher doesn't make the game but simply ensures that it gets out to the public.

Well it depends.
。。。

I don't know, I just feel uneasy with the deal. I'd prefer to know why Sony aren't publishing, as originally intended, if I'm honest.

Exactly. For me, the fact they already have changed the logo shows they are willing to stamp their paid position of authority from the outset. No initial news from YsNet or the Shenmue 3 project prior seems to indicate a rather rushed approach. Plus the unprofessional (some may call personable) follow up tweets...

Plus no tweets from the usually tweet happy Cedric Biscay as well... Something isn't quite right.

I'm very uneasy about it like you. Deep Silver haven't set the game world alight. They are primarily an acquisition group with publishing rights to various A-AA games. The same company that has Mighty No. 9 and Kickstarter attached to it... after that fiasco.. FFS. Why would you do this?

It seems to me the only reason why Ys Net / Yu Suzuki has made this deal is because they are desperate for cash to see production ramped up for next year. He may see it as a necessary evil to ensure he has the funds to get Shenmue 3 over the line.

Sony offloaded the rights to another game they were going to publish RIME, a game I was looking forward to for quite some time. After playing it I was rather disappointed with the end result of the game as it seemed to change tack a number of times mid game and was confused about where it was really going. Plus still felt rushed and unpolished despite having a publisher Six Foot help them with I guess additional funding and marketing.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Last edited by fittersau on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III