TeamYu - Cedric Biscay Interview @Gamescom

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:26 pm

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: TeamYu - Cedric Biscay Interview @Gamescom

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks Spaghetti.

Great interview. Its good to see Cedric in the public eye again. I can't wait to see what his next project will be.

Hopefully he puts extra pressure on Sega for those HD remasters. I guess we'll get a proper look at Shenmue 3 at PSX
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 pm

I hope it's just me and some odd computer problem, but I can't get this video to load!
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Playing fine for me. Might be an internet connection problem on your end.

Anyway, I'm not going to quote what Cedric said verbatim again but there's reiteration that the teaser is old (how much is unknown), and that it was actually put together for an event that they decided not to show at (probably PSX).

So it's the 10K Japan dinner backer video, with a few bells and whistles, but also varying degrees of outdated from the current build/developments; more or less what Peter said previously about it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:48 pm

This is a totally valid explanation.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby John Doom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:00 pm

So we're going to see "something very good" in just a couple of months. I can't wait :)
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Spaghetti wrote:So it's the 10K Japan dinner backer video, with a few bells and whistles, but also varying degrees of outdated from the current build/developments; more or less what Peter said previously about it.

Are you sure it was prepared for that event and not E3 2017?

Would be incredible if so. That would make it a year or more old.

John Doom wrote: So we're going to see "something very good" in just a couple of months. I can't wait :)

Sounds like we may be getting a more recent development teaser at PSX...

Alongside a Shenmue I/II HD Remaster, perhaps?

Exciting possibilities.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:32 pm

I just really hope they put a "wait" option in shenmue 1. That should eliminate pacing problems for newcomers.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:23 pm

ShenSun wrote: I just really hope they put a "wait" option in shenmue 1. That should eliminate pacing problems for newcomers.

They should definitely make it an option and update to more modern controls. They really have the option to make a lot of options optional, for new and returning players with classic preferences.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:47 am

ShenmueLegacy wrote:Are you sure it was prepared for that event and not E3 2017?

It's tough to say. I believe there was an interview (with Yu, possibly?) where they said the Gamescom video might have gotten shown around E3 time if the Deep Silver deal had been done by then, but still going on what Peter said a lot of this video is from what he saw last year with some updates to content and graphics.

The video itself is probably not over a year old. Bits of it might be.

Even if the above ends up being bullshit; we know the Gamescom video is lagging behind from the current build and had certain things like facial animation mostly disabled because they couldn't fix the development problem with them in time.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 am

Spaghetti wrote:
ShenmueLegacy wrote:Are you sure it was prepared for that event and not E3 2017?

It's tough to say. I believe there was an interview (with Yu, possibly?) where they said the Gamescom video might have gotten shown around E3 time if the Deep Silver deal had been done by then, but still going on what Peter said a lot of this video is from what he saw last year with some updates to content and graphics.

The video itself is probably not over a year old. Bits of it might be.

Even if the above ends up being bullshit; we know the Gamescom video is lagging behind from the current build and had certain things like facial animation mostly disabled because they couldn't fix the development problem with them in time.

I honestly can't imagine the teaser being shown at E3 2017 in the middle of the 1 hour long highly polished visual firework that the Sony conference was. It would have been a marketing suicide with no context and people expecting nothing but AAA content. That's why in my opinion, PSX 2016 was the event they were targeting back then with the teaser Peter saw at the backers dinner.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 am

Tbh, the teaser hardly fits any event. PSX is becoming a major momentum for Sony, Paris Games Week is taken seriously as much as the mentioned ones while the teaser looks very amateur, even excluding its technical side.

The music incorporation, the scene linking... A lot of work is needed to make this tech video into a promotional material. Ysnet basically needs to hire Amir.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:44 am

Yokosuka wrote: Tbh, the teaser hardly fits any event. PSX is becoming a major momentum for Sony, Paris Games Week is taken seriously as much as the mentioned ones while the teaser looks very amateur, even excluding its technical side.

The music incorporation, the scene linking... A lot of work is needed to make this tech video into a promotional material. Ysnet basically needs to hire Amir.

Okay, but showing the same teaser roughly 1 year after the end of the Kickstarter could not have had the same (overall negative over non Shenmue fans) impact as showing it 2 years after the beginning of Shenmue 3 creation.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:46 am

ShenSun wrote: I just really hope they put a "wait" option in shenmue 1. That should eliminate pacing problems for newcomers.

Why? Patience is part of the process. The problem with these modern gamers is that they want 24/7 action throughout an entire game. You can't expect games to be fun all the time, there should be parts in the game where even if you hate it, you must work through it in order to progress and it would also feel pretty rewarding when you get past the hurdle and be rewarded for your efforts. It's part of the realism because that is also how life is. I don't think they should put a "wait" option. They should be made to work through it, not take the easy way out!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:48 am

Even if it had shown at E3 it wouldn't be part of the conference. Likely would have been the same scenario as Gamescom where it goes online, journos see an extended cut for preview purposes.

YSnet aren't unaware that this isn't up to proper promotional standards, so there's no real point raking them over the coals for it when we now know the state of the video is down to an increasing obligation to show something, some bad luck with timing/development issues, and being too naive about people taking the video at face value as a WIP display of progress.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there. I'll need to drag the exact quote up, but I think Yu or whoever was just musing on that we might have seen it a few months earlier if the Deep Silver deal was done quicker.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III