Where is the Shenmue 3 team ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Where is the Shenmue 3 team ?

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:49 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
WildManofBorneo wrote:However, there is a third entity which has been most certainly overlooked - the unknown Japanese publisher for the local market. Whomever has the fortune of publishing this game in Japan will most certainly be providing financial assistance towards the game's development.

Deep Silver is the global publisher. Does global not include Japan?

Deep Silver is the publisher for all territories except Japan.

I've clearly missed an interview somewhere. Do you remember where this was said? All I've seen are pretty unequivocal statements about them being the global publisher.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:

Adam Boyes confirmed that Sony are backing the game financially back at E3 when it was announced making them the third investor. Sega are a company at the end of the day and letting an IP go with nothing to show for it would piss off higher ups. Even if they aren't backing the project financially they will get some kind of return in the form of a lump sum or percentage of profits. The idea of them being nice and letting Yu use the IP free of charge is a nice idea but not something that makes sense.

If Sony had any financial interest in this game, then they would have assumed the role of publisher. I have yet to witness a single Sony investment in the past 20+ years where they had not also acted as the publisher.

As for Sega, I assume their involvement is limited to license royalties.

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:40 pm

I recall this video quite clearly. My point of contention would be as to what reason has Sony chosen not to pursue full publishing rights to the game?

Shenmue 3 currently stands as a PS4 console exclusive, yet Deep Silver is a multi platform publisher. Therefore, either Sony has provided enough funding to ensure console exclusivity, or Shenmue 3 may make a possible appearance on another platform at some point in the future.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby WildManofBorneo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
I've clearly missed an interview somewhere. Do you remember where this was said? All I've seen are pretty unequivocal statements about them being the global publisher.

There were 10 interviews conducted with Yu Suzuki at Gamescom. One of them discusses the matter of a yet to be announced publisher for the Japanese market.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:49 pm

^Game Watch.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... uzuki.html

Q: Who will be the publisher in Japan?

YS: That's still to be decided. The international publisher is Deep Silver.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ys » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Riku Rose wrote:Even if they aren't backing the project financially they will get some kind of return in the form of a lump sum or percentage of profits. The idea of them being nice and letting Yu use the IP free of charge is a nice idea but not something that makes sense.

WildManofBorneo wrote:...either Sony has provided enough funding to ensure console exclusivity, or Shenmue 3 may make a possible appearance on another platform at some point in the future.

I immediately thought : "What about Sony?" when they made the Deep Silver announcement. Probably some money to keep it exclusive? I also agree with Riku. Sega must get something out of it even if they didn't risk funding the game entirely. It would be atypical of businesses to just be nice. I guess his loyalty and Nagoshi might have made a difference though there was certainly a deal and not just "here you go, have fun".

When asked if Sega would be getting any percentage of profits from the eventual release of Shenmue III, Suzuki said that he couldn’t talk about the details of the deal he struck with Sega.

http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to ... 1712037863

Kiske wrote: 90% transparency.

Nice one :P I was curious though (off topic) since I almost never use image editing software.
Since the image is very "foggy", in physics it would likely depict something that's only 10% transparent or 90% opaque. Are these settings reversed in software like Photoshop, Gimp etc.?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 pm

I think Yu and Sony being vague about funding comes back to what Riku said. People would be 10 kinds of ticked off if they heard Shenmue had a big backer after such a dramatic and successful Kickstarter. People dropped hundreds, some dropped thousands to back this game. And then some big publisher(if not even Sega) decides "Maybe this is something we should get a piece of." I really don't care. I would have donated even if they said Sega(or whoever)will match Kickstarter funds. This was always a gamble for me. Not everyone thinks that way though.

That's why we don't know the scope of the non-Kickstarter funding. That's why we don't know the size of the development team. I'm not saying it's all of a sudden AAA. But I do think development is bigger than we originally thought it would be.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:15 am

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:I asked this a while ago in another thread and no one answered me, so I'll try again to sate my curiosity: Why do some people call him KidNocon instead of NoconKid? His name on YouTube, where we all got to know him, is the latter, and it's taken from a TV show, No Con Kid, short for No Continue Kid, where the lead character is a young arcade whizz who therefore doesn't need to use continues. Are people presumptuously applying the custom of writing what we would consider their second name first, in spite of his known preference and the fact it isn't his actual name? There must be something I'm missing.

Didn't even know this was a thing.

It's an epidemic!

So far in this thread:

Spaghetti wrote:and individuals like KidNocon working from home.

shenhaZ wrote:KidNokon is working from home?

And then having already replied after me in this thread, someone goes and posts this:

WildManofBorneo wrote:Kid Nocon

Perverted reprobates, the lot of 'em! :hitrock:
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Previous

Return to Shenmue III