Should there be an in game mini map for Shenmue 3?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Do you want an in game map? (Total votes: 21)

Yes, it has become a staple of action games.
No votes
Yes, but only a basic map. It shouldn't show target locations.
33%
No, it would not be in the spirit of exploration in Shenmue.
67%

Should there be an in game mini map for Shenmue 3?

Postby Benwah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 pm

If this has been asked previously then I apologise.

I have been thinking lately about whether Shenmue should have an in game map. I'm talking about the kind of map that you get in games like the GTA and Yakuza series. Where there is arrows to show points of interest and the next mission location.

Personally I am conflicted. On the one hand I have become accustomed to having the maps. I use them extensively in each of the games that offer them. I also think it would be used against the game if they did not include a map. Reviewers would claim that it shows how antiquated the series is, and it is not forward looking.

However, I also think that it would be contrary to spirit of exploration in Shenmue. I discovered a lot of cool things in Shenmue purely because I was forced to hunt around for things. With a mini map I admit I am likely to run from one location to another.

What say you Shenmue Dojo?
Benwah
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: ThaiBenwah
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni 2

Re: Should there be an in game mini map for Shenmue 3?

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:33 pm

We saw a peek at a mini-map in the March update video, so it's at least being considered. It looked sort of like an evolution of the mini-maps from Shenmue II, so it wouldn't be out of step with the series if they did make it in.

I think there's maybe a case for including a mini-map regardless. The locations in Shenmue III are likely to be bigger than anything in the previous games, either through sheer size or just because areas won't be split up by load, so a map could help orient the player if they're struggling.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Do I, personally, want a mini-map? Nah. But do I think there should be a mini-map? If it's basic like those featured in Shenmue II, I'll be all cool with it, but if it ends up being an icon-laden, exploration-killing mess (e.g. Far Cry 3 or 4), that will really suck.

This post I made a few years ago, written in the context of a Shenmue remaster, explains why a mini-map would suck in that particular game: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1116896#p1116896

Some of the sentiments apply to Shenmue III.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 am

Well I would prefer not to have one, no. I think it's awesome when you have to figure out yourself where you're supposed to go. It makes you work for it, rather than in modern games where they have a map that does all the work for you. Of course if Ryo himself carries a map around, I wouldn't mind a basic map that doesn't have a blinking red dot or something that shows the destination.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 am

I don't need one but Shenmue II kinda established how it can work in a good way.
That is only have it give a display of the surrounding area, without any waypoints markers, route lines or something. Leave the navigation to the player, asking for directions and following NPCs. This is so much more real world like than pretty much every game these days, and even around the time Shenmue II was released.

Just add the option to turn off the map so it doesn't clutter the screen if you don't want it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

It should have one really, but I'd like the option to switch it off. I prefer having to look at maps and figure things out rather than a real-time GPS thing or a map that shows you which direction you're heading.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby adom11800 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Well said BlueMue. I personally don't think a proper map in Shenmue 3 would work as Shenmue has always been a find your own way, asking NPC's to get to the next point, etc kind of game. The maps in Shenmue 2 were lame in my opinion, they were only there to mark where you were, like a dot in a map.

A mini map like we saw in a previous update would hopefully work as long as it didn't tell you where to go next. Shenmue is Shenmue after all but maybe this will be one of the new things in Shenmue 3 that wasn't in the previous games.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ianpm31 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Please NO mini map. That's one of the great things about exploring in Shenmue. I don't want any quest markers either
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Centrale » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:49 pm

I think you should have to find your way around primarily by exploration and talking with characters. I'd even take it further than the way maps were previously handled. If Ryo buys a map, he should have to take it out and look at it and we see him holding it, instead of seeing a map overlay in the corner of the screen. Simply following minimaps and waypoints really diminishes the atmosphere of even the most finely crafted game worlds.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Shenmue III