How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

(Chapters 3-6)

How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

Postby sutoji » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:36 am

Honestly WTF the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 feels so inferior to the Dreamcast version in every way I'd rather it did not even exist. First of all you got the bad english voice acting that could of been miles better if it hadn't been rushed so badly, they got random people instead of many professionals to take part in the voice acting now I'm not saying that Corey Marshall was bad and all but Kylo just did the most jar numbing voice over for Ren like its just laughable. Compare it to the DC voice for Ren he is intimidating like a gangster not some 11 year old boy.
They should've made T-Shirts that said 'I survived Shenmue 2 in english!" because almost every NPC made me want to kill myself, it is assualt.

This is the Xbox it was supposed to be a better version for some reason they added the most annoying bloom feature ever and it's unpleasant. The DC version was sharp as hell and it looks great in VGA, no bloom was needed it looks terrible. Third of all the cover of the game... it looks like a fighting game, Lan Di and Ryo look really different and instead of the beautiful DC art they just ruined it with that Xbox art. Ryo's jacket is darker in the xbox version, I don't know if thats really a bad thing but also his cuffs are bigger! the part next to his hands WHY????

What made them do all these changes? Did they hate Shenmue 2?
Last edited by sutoji on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Re: How did they F the Xbox port so badly?

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 am

sutoji wrote: Honestly WTF the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 feels so inferior to the Dreamcast version in every way Id rather it did not even exist. First of all you got the bad voice acting that could of been miles better if it hadn't been rushed so badly, they got random people instead of many professionals to take part in the voice acting now I'm not saying that Corey Marshall was bad and all but Kylo just did the most jar numbing voice over for Ren like its just laughable. Compare it to the DC voice for Ren he is intimidating like a gangster not some 11 year old boy.

This is the Xbox it was supposed to be a better version for some reason they added the most annoying bloom feature ever and it's unpleasant. The DC version was sharp as hell and it looks great in VGA, no bloom was needed it looks terrible. Third of all the cover of the game... it looks like a fighting game, Lan Di and Ryo look really different and instead of the beautiful DC art they just ruined it with that Xbox art. Ryo's jacket is darker in the xbox version, I don't know if thats really a bad thing but also his cuffs are bigger! the part next to his hands WHY????

The Xbox version is the best. I've always preferred the English version over the Japanese one because they all sound exactly like they should. Also, all Chinese speaking Japanese isn't very believeable. That's why the English version is also more accurate.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 am

I actually prefer the Xbox version.
The graphics look better. If you compare Ryo's shoe as he steps off the ship you can see that there are more polygons on the Xbox version. This is consistent in the major characters. They just look better. There is a bloom effect, but I like it. It looks pretty nice with component cables. It looks even better on Xbox 360 (if you correct it back to 4:3)! I'm sure when it is emulated on Xbox one it'll be even better than that!

In my opinion the English voice acting is part of the experience. I just love it. "Hide in the closet! Hide in the closet!" I love that line for some reason.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am

the bad voice acting was a design choice made by Yu Suzuki.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby sand4fish » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:41 pm

A technical side-by-side comparison between the two versions of the game by DF Retro... Very far from a bad port.

phpBB [video]

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: fischkopf, Haruto
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby punkmanced » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Shenmue’s voice acting is legendary…in terms of being shit.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is better
The Room is better.

I feel sorry for all the Xbox owners who had to endure something which warped their experience completely. At least DC owners got a taste of the good stuff when importing Shenmue 2 EU ;)

Whatever…let’s just hope part 3 gives access to both languages on disc…

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm

punkmanced wrote: Shenmue’s voice acting is legendary…in terms of being shit.
The Room is better.

I feel sorry for all the Xbox owners who had to endure something which warped their experience completely. At least DC owners got a taste of the good stuff when importing Shenmue 2 EU ;)

No, it's actually quite amazing. When you hear Ryo speak, he sounds like a true badass and just perfect. Unlike the Japanese version, where he doesn't sound very "cool". I mean, just compare the opening sequence of Shenmue I where after Ryo has Iwao Hazuki in his arms, he shouts "nooooo" in English compared to "father" in Japanese. Hands down, the English version is clearly superior in this instance.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby punkmanced » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm

^ Haha! Dude, you're awesome! :rotflmao:
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:56 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
sutoji wrote: Honestly WTF the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 feels so inferior to the Dreamcast version in every way Id rather it did not even exist. First of all you got the bad voice acting that could of been miles better if it hadn't been rushed so badly, they got random people instead of many professionals to take part in the voice acting now I'm not saying that Corey Marshall was bad and all but Kylo just did the most jar numbing voice over for Ren like its just laughable. Compare it to the DC voice for Ren he is intimidating like a gangster not some 11 year old boy.

The Xbox version is the best. I've always preferred the English version over the Japanese one because they all sound exactly like they should. Also, all Chinese speaking Japanese isn't very believeable. That's why the English version is also more accurate.

please just stop trying to talk with adults. you only make yourself look even more stupid than everywhere else on this forum
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 am

the xbox version is indeed terrible and makes shenmue look like shit. the voice acting is so bad it's not even funny anymore like it was in shenmue 1. no it completely takes away from the immersion and storyline to hear joy and shenhua completely butcher the script.

graphically the dreamcast version looks better imo because dreamcast 480p just looks sharper than xbox 480p. The biggest advantage though apart from voice acting is that you can use your shenmue 1 save file on the dreamcast in shenmue 2.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sutoji » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
punkmanced wrote: Shenmue’s voice acting is legendary…in terms of being shit.
The Room is better.

No, it's actually quite amazing. When you hear Ryo speak, he sounds like a true badass and just perfect. Unlike the Japanese version, where he doesn't sound very "cool". I mean, just compare the opening sequence of Shenmue I where after Ryo has Iwao Hazuki in his arms, he shouts "nooooo" in English compared to "father" in Japanese. Hands down, the English version is clearly superior in this instance.

No he doesn't he sounds like he isn't even Human but instead a robot, also we're talking about Shenmue 2s english voice where here the Japanese voices are way superior, Shenmue 2 has got to have the worst english voice acting in video game history and nothing comes close.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 am

drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

please just stop trying to talk with adults. you only make yourself look even more stupid than everywhere else on this forum

Wow, it's the drunken idiot again. You never cease to amaze with your stupidity. So now, if anyone has a opinion that differs from yours, they make themselves look stupid? This goes far beyond being a drunkard, I'm afraid I have to call you the stupidsailor :lol:
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 am

drunkensailor wrote: the xbox version is indeed terrible and makes shenmue look like shit. the voice acting is so bad it's not even funny anymore like it was in shenmue 1. no it completely takes away from the immersion and storyline to hear joy and shenhua completely butcher the script.

graphically the dreamcast version looks better imo because dreamcast 480p just looks sharper than xbox 480p. The biggest advantage though apart from voice acting is that you can use your shenmue 1 save file on the dreamcast in shenmue 2.

Yeah, because Joy doesn't sound very annoying, loud and weird when she says "get out of my way" in Japanese right? :roll:
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Cyberman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 pm

The voice acting wasn't that bad. Its actually kinda funny in some parts.

Cyberman has received a thanks from: Mr357
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

Wow, it's the drunken idiot again. You never cease to amaze with your stupidity. So now, if anyone has a opinion that differs from yours, they make themselves look stupid? This goes far beyond being a drunkard, I'm afraid I have to call you the stupidsailor :lol:

I rest my case
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue II