Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby johnvivant » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:45 am

does anyone know the correct Japanese pronunciation for the dragon and phoenix mirrors?

i have found the individual kanjis but i'm not sure what pronunciation is correct;
ryuu kagami or ryuu kyou/kei
houou kagami or houou kyou/kei
ect
thanks
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Switch » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 am

johnvivant wrote: does anyone know the correct Japanese pronunciation for the dragon and phoenix mirrors?

i have found the individual kanjis but i'm not sure what pronunciation is correct;
ryuu kagami or ryuu kyou/kei
houou kagami or houou kyou/kei
ect
thanks

Ryuu kyou & houou kyou (per this Shenmue Wiki)

Switch has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:30 pm

So I was watching todays AVGN christmas episode and something really surprised me.
The Nerd makes a funny joke about how just reading something fixes his car. He picks up some game magazines and flips through them. And out of all the things he has what is the first one?

I don't know if there is any meaning at all behind this. Could just have been chosen at random. I still find it awesome to see "Shenmue" in one of his videos. Even though in a very strange way. :lol:

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Abraham_1, Mr357, Shenmue_Legend
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:31 pm

BlueMue wrote: So I was watching todays AVGN christmas episode and something really surprised me.
The Nerd makes a funny joke about how just reading something fixes his car. He picks up some game magazines and flips through them. And out of all the things he has what is the first one?

I don't know if there is any meaning at all behind this. Could just have been chosen at random. I still find it awesome to see "Shenmue" in one of his videos. Even though in a very strange way. :lol:

Wow! I never in a million years would have ever thought I'd see anything Shenmue related in an AVGN video! Totally cool :D
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Lately I've been reminiscing about gaming and pondered about why after so many years of gaming (including skipping a couple of console generations) I still regard Shenmue as my personal greatest of all time. I managed to tie down the reasons to my fondest gaming experiences. As a kid my favorite genres were beat'em ups and fighting. The first game I ever owned and played was Streets of Rage and back then even though I was already aware the game didn't have the complex mechanics of a Street Fighter 2, it had instead that extra layer of immersion to it as my avatar could traverse its world while beating up people. It was like living in a martial arts world from those Hong Kong action flicks.

Later in the 90's I discovered and fell in love with LucasArts' games like The Secret of Monkey Island, Full Throttle and The Dig. And beyond I found the eye-popping semi-realistic worlds of Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, The Last Express and Phantasmagoria. The adventure genre was king to me because the visuals and immersion were above anything else in other genres, with your character interacting with animated npcs with more than 1 liners and manipulating objects in the background or the scenery itself to advance the game.

And then came Shenmue, adding all what I came to love in games and scale the meshing elements to a 3D space, what at the time it looked to me to be an one-to-one digital replica of a real town. Back then I thought this game was just made for me and still today, that feeling has never left as I couldn't find anything quite like it.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: myshtuff
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 pm

sand4fish wrote:Lately I've been reminiscing about gaming and pondered about why after so many years of gaming (including skipping a couple of console generations) I still regard Shenmue as my personal greatest of all time.

I was doing the same thing the other day when I was explaining to a friend why I was so pumped for 3. I remember going to Blockbuster not long after 1 came out and I rented it. Had no idea wtf it was, but seemed interesting enough. I got it and honestly stopped playing after disc 1. I couldn't bare to finish it. I guess it was too boring for me. However, that was one of the first times I got into Japanese culture and started learning about it. About 3 months later I went back to Blockbuster and it was summer so I had more time on my hand. I saw it again and figured I would give it another shot and I remembered it too. I brought it home and for some reason I was hooked after I became more open minded. From there, I became fascinated with Japan and started reading more manga and watching more anime than before. That spiraled into me learning basic Japanese in school, eventually going to Japan for multiple vacations (one of which was to visit Yokosuka/Dobuita), and even working in Okinawa for 6 months after that. I of course love both games now and can't wait for 3. However, at this point, I think I love what the game did for my life more than the game itself which is why it will always mean something for me. This is also why 1 will always be my favorite over 2 and most likely 3. It started it all for me and every time I go back to start a new run of the game, it takes me back to that same time of learning about Japan for the first time.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: sand4fish
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby spud1897 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:00 am

For me the reason I hold the game as my favourtie of all time is because it is the first time I actually felt invovled in the story of a game.

Don't get me wrong I loved Zelda OOT on the N64 and other RPG type games but none felt alive like Shenmue did. You felt a part of the journey the whole way through, had the freedom (which games take for granted now) to do as we pleased and work through the story at your own pace. It taught values of respect, friends and being brave to do what is right which I still hold to this day. Shenmue changed the way I play games and still influences the games I enjoy to this day.

I remember all the various Shenmue 3 is coming then not posts/news and each time it went quiet it would improve the resolve that we would get 3. Also what Shenmue did is indirectly form one of the most active and best communities I've been involved in.

I cannot wait for 3 to finally hit the shelves and to continue what is for me a great story.

spud1897 has received a thanks from: sand4fish
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby johnvivant » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:56 am

the GDC official youtube channel has recently released a higher quality version of Yu suzuki's GDC shenmue presentation from 2000. it contains some footage from the shenmue premiere event.

phpBB [video]

johnvivant has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby jasonorme666 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Shenmue was the first game I ever played where I unconsciously developed an internal dialogue which would now be known as "roleplaying".
I found myself saying, "I better go check in on Ine-San" or "I will just play a quick game of darts before going back to work".
Other things such as making sure Ryo drank frequently, and I'd buy chocolate and crisps for him to eat (even though you couldn't actually eat them).
I would choose Coffee if the weather was cold, and would try to stay under shelter or indoors if the weather was too bad.
I'd develop daily routines that were broken up by story progression.

I had never felt that way before about a game, character or environment.

A few exceptions being GTA V and Skyrim.

jasonorme666 has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades

Postby jasonorme666 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

This again!?

jasonorme666

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am

BlueMue recently uploaded the fourth entry in his "Random Dialogue" series. Nice couple of tidbits I'd never encountered before :)

phpBB [video]

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: BlueMue
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Nozomi really reminds me of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for some reason, her voice/inflections.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby redline » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 am

a few more years and were be able to play shenmue on a VMU.

VMµ - RetroPie Gaming Handheld Inside a Sega Dreamcast VMU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNoBQ5nTeuk

phpBB [video]
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Abraham_1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Thought I'd post a couple of current playthroughs from well-known YouTubers who seem to be really enjoying Shenmue. They are both playing it for the first time.

Brutalmoose - He has over 400k subscribers and is streaming the games on Twitch. The episodes can be found on his stream archives YouTube channel ''moose2''. This is the first episode:

phpBB [video]

He says he is loving the game so much that he already preordered Shenmue 2 and backed the Slacker Backer campaign for 3.

The next YouTuber is ''Call Me Kevin''; he has over 300k subscribers. Funnily enough, I saw some videos of his for the first time about a month ago and found him hilarious. He just uploaded a video on Shenmue 2 today, which will undoubtedly get many views:

phpBB [video]

His style is different to Brutalmoose's and he likes to make jokes about games. That's usually bad news for a series like Shenmue, but he says at the end of the video that he honestly enjoys the game and was impressed by how interactive it is.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Abraham_1 wrote:The next YouTuber is ''Call Me Kevin''; he has over 300k subscribers. Funnily enough, I saw some videos of his for the first time about a month ago and found him hilarious. He just uploaded a video on Shenmue 2 today, which will undoubtedly get many views:

His style is different to Brutalmoose's and he likes to make jokes about games. That's usually bad news for a series like Shenmue, but he says at the end of the video that he honestly enjoys the game and was impressed by how interactive it is.

Worth a few laughs.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue