E3 2018: Can Shenmue III afford to miss this year?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2018: Can Shenmue III afford to miss this year?

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

MAGIC for gameplay
E3 for story trailer and Lan Di's face.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby King John Blaze » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:08 am

VukBZ2005 wrote:
King John Blaze wrote:There is so many major releases this year and that does no bode well for Shenmue, especially where simply being noticed won't be enough as, to be frank, it does not look like a good game.

What, in your opinion, makes you believe it doesn't look like a good game? Marketing aside, Shenmue III, in my opinion, seems worthy of the series. It has an intriguing storyline & beautiful environments. The character designs are approaching what most consider production quality, too.

Watching the trailer for the second time I admit I was being a bit harsh. What was stuck in my head was Ryo's bland expression and the terrible modelling on the second character he was fighting against. Those terrible arms are just so terrible.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BigTuna » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 am

IF Shenmue III does come out this year. Then it absolutely can’t afford to miss having some presence at E3. It’s the place the dream finally came true. Has to be there.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’ll be there this year. I’m starting to believe we’ll be getting a 2019 delay in a few months.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby VukBZ2005 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm

BigTuna wrote: IF Shenmue III does come out this year. Then it absolutely can’t afford to miss having some presence at E3. It’s the place the dream finally came true. Has to be there.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’ll be there this year. I’m starting to believe we’ll be getting a 2019 delay in a few months.

In my opinion, whether Shenmue III is released this year will depend on how fast YsNet & its associates can resolve the game's remaining problems. If they can be quick about it, they'll still be on track for a December release. We'll get an announcement sometime before E3 if they can't.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 pm

I believe an E3 presence is crucial for the game this year, as people will really begin to question the status of the game missing the big stage.

Looking at the Fall lineup, it really depends on that 2018 release holding true. Both Red Dead 2 and Kingdom Hearts III will be in the fall(former confirmed, the latter doesn't have a date but does have a 2018 window).

Those two games are powerful enough to overshadow any other release, not including the obligatory CoD and Battlefield games. I think December is their most logical window, but I'm feeling a delay to Spring 2019 which is why I think if it appears at E3 it'll have a Coming Soon attached.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mrandyk » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:32 pm

BigTuna wrote: IF Shenmue III does come out this year. Then it absolutely can’t afford to miss having some presence at E3. It’s the place the dream finally came true. Has to be there.

I'm also increasingly confident in a delay to 2019. That's why I believe it's more likely we see Shenmue at e3 next year than this year.

It's a must to be shown at e3 during the year of release, and based on what we've seen I am skeptical that the game will be completed within 6-9 months.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 am

If they're still only showing environments and character models at MAGIC, then it's definitely being delayed and pushed back to next year. The game should at least be somewhat presentable as a game at this point if it's coming out in a few months.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 am

Don't forget that Cedric has been playing the last build, that means there's mechanics beside background and npcs

Hazuki00 has received 2 thanks from: spud1897, VukBZ2005
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby spud1897 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:39 am

Hazuki00 wrote: Don't forget that Cedric has been playing the last build, that means there's mechanics beside background and npcs

That will likely be the build we see. Whether we see more is up for debate.

I agree if it's only stills and characters then a delay is likely (obviously unconfirmed at this stage).

Looking forward to it.

Personally I think Shenmue 3 needs to be at E3, Gamescom, TGS and EGX (because I am UK based!)
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 am

yu suzuki never shows anything of his games until they are pretty much out for release. he even did so with the first shenmue, which didn't have any "gameplay" footage until a few months before release.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Last edited by RiGoRmOrTiS on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm

drunkensailor wrote: yu suzuki never shows anything of his games until they are pretty much out for release. he even did so with the first shenmue, which didn't have any "gameplay" footage until a few months before release.

This time it was publically funded so while he's not obligated there is certainly a pressure to release footage and screenshots. But I agree, if all we get are environmental and character shots with no identifiable gameplay beyond "walking around" the game is pushing to 2019.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm

That's where my stance on it having to be at E3 this year comes into play. If we get some solid recent build screens and character models, as well as some gameplay information, that's okay for MAGIC and may satiate fans for at least a time. I expect complete silence until the end of May after MAGIC, which will only accentuate the importance of a reveal.

Come E3, people are really going to begin to wonder what the game is gonna at least somewhat play like. It could still be pushed to 2019 and still make an appearance at E3.

Kingdom Come did that and didn't release for a good 8-9 months after that. We saw some video of a very early build at Gamescom, but people are gonna want to see recent stuff.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Reprise » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:09 pm

drunkensailor wrote: yu suzuki never shows anything of his games until they are pretty much out for release. he even did so with the first shenmue, which didn't have any "gameplay" footage until a few months before release.

Are you sure? I was hyped for Shenmue long before its release and I remember I was always reading previews on it and looking at gameplay screenshots in magazines ages before it was released. I would buy any magazine I could that had any new information on the game. I remember when GamesMaster reviewed the Japanese version of the game when it was finally released and I would read that review over and over again until it was finally released in the West. I'm sure I'd already been reading about the game and looking at gameplay shots for ages before the Japanese release.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby life_247 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am

The_Intruder wrote: Since the game is releasing this year I'm sure it will be at E3.

:rotflmao:

Considering what we saw of the magic stuff this game is a loooong way from being finished. Summer 2019 I would suggest.
life_247

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III