Chapter 2: the battle with Chai on the boat

(Chapters 3-6)

Chapter 2: the battle with Chai on the boat

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:06 am

As you see in the sidestory comics, there was a chapter between Yokosuka and Hong Kong.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/story/sidestorycomics.html

It seems few people here know about that chapter, I decided to give you this translation.
In the Dori-Maga, formerly the Dreamcast Magazine, issued on Sept. 7, 2001,
there's this interview with Yu Suzuki and voice actors of Ryo, Ren and Shenhua.
Among the interview, Yu-san and Masaya Matsukaze, the voice and motion actor of Ryo
were talking about the missing chapter on the boat. And Takumi Hagiwara, the Ren's
voice and motion actor adds some comments on the scenes that were cut eventually.

BTW, the interview was held on the completion of Shenmue II.
Remember the releasing date of Shenmue II in Japan was Sept. 6, 2001.

Q: I heard there used to be "Chapter 2 - the Boat" between "Chapter 1 - Yokosuka" and
"Shenmue II," but actually, II begins with the scene Ryo disembarks from the boat.
There, the mother with a girl mentions something on the boat, doesn't she?

Yu-san: Yes. "Chapter 2 - the Boat" included in the original scenario has disappeared
completely.
Masaya: Yeah, that's right. The Boat! In fact, Chai reappears. He's survived being
knocked off into the sea at Yokosuka harbor, and fights with Ryo as an unseen opponent
on the boat. There was a scenario like that.

Q: Was the scene shot?

Masaya: Yes! We shot it pretty flamboyantly. In fact, some people Ryo meets on
the boat were supposed to see him again in the later scenario, saying like "ah, you're
the one on that boat...," and the story would expand from there.
Yu-san: Confronting Chai was a nice situation. We've finished the designs of the boat
completely, including the height of the deck, the length of the rails, and every thing.
The escaping route was arranged, too. Some spectacular action scenes were planned
to be unfolded, you know.
Masaya: All the motions were captured, too. I opened the door of the cabin and then
the story went so theatrically!

Q: Then, you had to cut those scenes tearfully?

Yu-san: Well... I cut them rather plainly. "Impossible to fit? OK, cut it," just like that.

Q: There must be plenty of scenes that had to be cut eventually, or motions weren't
used. Especially, as the motions of Ren are really wonderful, I honestly wanted to see
them more.

Takumi: I guess there should be tons of them, if we include detailed motions, too.
We shot quite a lot of fighting scenes that were cut.

*Well, we surely miss that chapter, don't we? :?
Last edited by Kiyuu on Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiyuu has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby code l name » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:18 am

Informative as ever Kiyuu, I appriciate that. Very interesting read and makes you wonder how many other scenarios were cut out because of time restrictions, among other things.

Another scene I do remember seeing in some beta footage was the scenario if you pass the QTE when you first meet Ren, you're taken to the dealings between the guy dressed in white and Yuan. Originally it looked like Wong or Ren (Which one was it) throws a bomb which covers the room in smoke. I guess with a game as big as Shenmue and has had such a lengthy developmen period there were bound to be numerous cuts, edits and changes.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JalceW » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:17 am

Interesting stuff, thanks.
JalceW
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:34 am

Ah man, that chapter sounded like it was gonna be really good ;_;
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ziming » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:41 am

Damn!, too bad they couldn't make it an Xbox exclusive, surely they would of been able to fit more on a xbox dvd. Oh yeah lets not forget that Chai's model can be found in Shenmue 2.
Last edited by Ziming on Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:45 am

code l name wrote:Informative as ever Kiyuu, I appriciate that. Very interesting read and makes you wonder how many other scenarios were cut out because of time restrictions, among other things.

Another scene I do remember seeing in some beta footage was the scenario if you pass the QTE when you first meet Ren, you're taken to the dealings between the guy dressed in white and Yuan. Originally it looked like Wong or Ren (Which one was it) throws a bomb which covers the room in smoke. I guess with a game as big as Shenmue and has had such a lengthy developmen period there were bound to be numerous cuts, edits and changes.

Yes, there must be numerous scenes were cut. These are a few of them that I know.
There was an episode of the two butchers in Green Market Qr. would fight over a woman.
And there was another episode, where Xiaoqin, the little girl of the Sunny Capital Pharmacy
in the South Carmain Qr. would play a bigger role. Also, if you've seen the Shenmue
premiere video, you would notice a boy named Seiya was introduced as one of the Characters,
but actually his roll turned out to be pretty small, as the duck seller in the White Dynasty Qr.

But, the biggest cut among these was the scenario between Kowloon and Guilin, I guess.
The scenes Ryo talking to an unknown old man and Ryo visiting an unknown village
would belong there. That's the reason why Disk 4 is so short, I assume.

Image Image
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:42 am

;__; I wanted to give Chai teh pwnage again on the boat T_T
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Virtua » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:08 pm

Brilliant information Kiyuu! *leaves to update shenmue.co.tv*
Virtua
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:11 pm

I thought the last disc on the dreamcast was short to include the Shenmue collection.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:19 pm

Hellraiser wrote:Damn!, too bad they couldn't make it an Xbox exclusive, surely they would of been able to fit more on a xbox dvd. Oh yeah lets not forget that Chai's model can be found in Shenmue 2.

It's quite natural that Chai's model was found in a disk of Shenmue II, isn't it?

Peter wrote:I thought the last disc on the dreamcast was short to include the Shenmue collection.

Maybe, they had to cut some scenarios to include those Shenmue collections.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:06 pm

Oh, man, that's one of the things I disliked about Shenmue II! You didn't get to go off and help random townspeople and get to know them, like when you helped Mai's sister by beating up the girls in Shenmue I. I wish they'd included that Green market Qr. butcher thing now.

As for Chai, I just want the whole boat chapter!
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Joey Bassist Dude » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:41 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
code l name wrote:Informative as ever Kiyuu, I appriciate that. Very interesting read and makes you wonder how many other scenarios were cut out because of time restrictions, among other things.

Yes, there must be numerous scenes were cut. These are a few of them that I know.
There was an episode of the two butchers in Green Market Qr. would fight over a woman.
And there was another episode, where Xiaoqin, the little girl of the Sunny Capital Pharmacy
in the South Carmain Qr. would play a bigger role. Also, if you've seen the Shenmue
premiere video, you would notice a boy named Seiya was introduced as one of the Characters,
but actually his roll turned out to be pretty small, as the duck seller in the White Dynasty Qr.

But, the biggest cut among these was the scenario between Kowloon and Guilin, I guess.
The scenes Ryo talking to an unknown old man and Ryo visiting an unknown village
would belong there. That's the reason why Disk 4 is so short, I assume.

Image Image

i thought those images were shen III stuff or something!!! thats such a shame i would'v loved a scenario like that, it looks like such a nice area! does that mean the men hanging upside down from thier feet (the famous purple r button screen) is from that same area too? it looks really nice and the boat scenes sound really amazing i wanna cry :'(
Joey Bassist Dude
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:20 pm

Purple Sail wrote:i thought those images were shen III stuff or something!!! thats such a shame i would'v loved a scenario like that, it looks like such a nice area! does that mean the men hanging upside down from thier feet (the famous purple r button screen) is from that same area too? it looks really nice and the boat scenes sound really amazing i wanna cry :'(

No one knows for sure. But, as those pictures were released in Muecas page
long time ago to tickle us, I guess they've been thrown away officially.

http://www.shenmue.com/muecas/029.html

I'm afraid none of these scenes would be seen in the sequel, including your favorite.
They said they have plenty of those beta screen shots and they would show us
some more some other time.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Joey Bassist Dude » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:55 pm

huh thats cool i suppose i cant wait to see more!

maybe if it gets HUUGE then we will see a limited disc containing boat etc: on like... the xbox 4 ;)
Joey Bassist Dude
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby xatruio » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:13 pm

yeha, they should have made the XBOX 2X with the boat chapter, and maybe even the place between Kowloon and Guilin, i mean the DVD disc can hold it! damn time, haha
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Shenmue II