RE 4 goes Multiplatform

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

RE 4 goes Multiplatform

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:10 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/31 ... 11911.html
Resident Evil 4 coming to PS2
Formerly GameCube-exclusive entry in Capcom's survival horror series will appear on PlayStation 2 in 2005.

Capcom announced today that the long-awaited follow-up to its popular survival horror franchise, which was originally scheduled to appear only on the GameCube console, is also headed to Sony's PlayStation 2.

The PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 is currently slated to be released at the end of 2005 in Japan, the US, and Europe. The GameCube version is still scheduled for a January 2005 release in the US and Japan, followed by a spring release in Europe.

In a statement released today, Capcom revealed that the decision to make Resident Evil 4 go cross-platform was based on requests from fans worldwide, in addition to market considerations and shareholder requests. The statement also made mention that each version of the game will be developed to take advantage of the strengths of its intended platform.

In September 2001, Capcom held a press conference in Tokyo to announce that the Resident Evil series would thereafter be released exclusively for the Nintendo GameCube. Capcom first produced a visually overhauled remake of the very first Resident Evil title, which was originally released for the PlayStation in the mid-'90s, and followed suit with a brand-new prequel called Resident Evil 0 and ports of Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code: Veronica.

However, as soon as the deal was cemented between Capcom and Nintendo, cracks started to appear. Early in 2002, Capcom announced that an online Resident Evil title, Resident Evil: Outbreak, was exclusively headed to the PlayStation 2. Later that year, the publisher seemed to reaffirm its relationship with Nintendo when it announced four more GameCube-exclusive games alongside Resident Evil 4. Then, one of them, Dead Phoenix, was canceled, and PS2 versions of two of the other games, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7, were subsequently announced. Nevertheless, if Capcom sticks to the current release plan, Resident Evil 4 will remain exclusive to the GameCube hardware for roughly one year.

Thats Hard blow to the face of Nintendo.
They just lost a ton of sales.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby pico » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:18 pm

Only exclusive worth mentioning in 2005 for the Cube is now Zelda, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was put off for the Revolution launch. At least it had a better run than the DC.

I'll still keep my Cube for the current games, and I'll still pick up RE4 and Mario Tennis, I'm sure.
pico
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby XR_END » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:01 pm

The Resident Evil series is all over the place...

...hope this is the end of the shuffling.
XR_END
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:26 pm

That is a blow to Nintendo, didn't really expect that.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:29 pm

We all lose really. RE4 will no doubt be dumbed down so it will work on the BS2. Whenever a game goes multi-platform the graphics almost always get dumbed down to PS2 calibur graphics. It sucks.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:45 pm

Sonikku wrote:We all lose really. RE4 will no doubt be dumbed down so it will work on the BS2. Whenever a game goes multi-platform the graphics almost always get dumbed down to PS2 calibur graphics. It sucks.

Don't worry the CCN version will most likely stay the same since its 2 months away from release and has been working on GCN Dev kits all this time.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby My Best Day is Gone » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:55 am

will RE4 finally feature melee weapons that don't suck?
My Best Day is Gone
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:07 am

first Viewtiful Joe, now RE, capcom is really something else, they should at least release the GC version first, then later the PS2 version.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby pico » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:28 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:first Viewtiful Joe, now RE, capcom is really something else, they should at least release the GC version first, then later the PS2 version.

Well, it's going to be on the PS2 almost a year later than the GC version... But still, it was a system seller for the GC, and obviously isn't anymore, now that it's not exclusive. As much as I love my little purple buddy, it's Nintendo's own fault.
pico
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby kenshiro » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:54 am

Sonikku wrote:We all lose really. RE4 will no doubt be dumbed down so it will work on the BS2. Whenever a game goes multi-platform the graphics almost always get dumbed down to PS2 calibur graphics. It sucks.

It will be dumbed down......FOR THE PS2. RE4 is written for the GC, so it will look the best on it. They have to port it to the PS2, so of course it will look nowhere as good. My guess is they will include an extra character or something to compensate for it. Like they did with Viewtiful Joe.

I can't really blame Capcom on this. RE, Viewtiful Joe, and PN03 on the GC sold like crap. Mikami got demoted b/c of this at Capcom.
kenshiro
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Joey Bassist Dude » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:52 am

well as long as the graphics arnt dummed down then im not too bothered, we still got the main story (0,1,2,3,4) i hear after 4 there will be only online and side quests

why is everyone saying its the end for nintendo and think that its the only game worth having for cube? :?
Joey Bassist Dude
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:37 am

Argh for fuck's sake! :x but NOT for Xbox, right!? :x Damnit!

Which order did the games come out in (ignoring lightgun games, and Director's Cuts and special editions, unless it was a really important spec. ed.?)?

RE1 on PS and Saturn,
RE2 on PS and Saturn and N64
RE3: Nemesis on PS, Saturn and DC I think?,
RE: Code Veronica on the DC,

What came next? Resident Evil 0 on GC? Is RE: Code Veronica RE3.5, since there's this furore over RE4? 'cos CV was damn well enough of a game to warrant its own number, if "RE: Nemesis" was allowed to be called "3" surely?

Saw the second film BTW, thought it was pretty good actually! :)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:16 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:Which order did the games come out in (ignoring lightgun games, and Director's Cuts and special editions, unless it was a really important spec. ed.?)?

If I remember correctly...

Resident Evil - PSX
Resident Evil - Saturn
Resident Evil 2 - PSX
Resident Evil 2 - N64
Resident Evil 3 - PSX
Resident Evil 2/3 - DC
Resident Evil CV - DC
Resident Evil CVX - PS2
Resident Evil 2/3/CVX - GC
Resident Evil Remake - GC
Resident Evil Zero - GC

kenshiro wrote:I can't really blame Capcom on this. RE, Viewtiful Joe, and PN03 on the GC sold like crap. Mikami got demoted b/c of this at Capcom.

I see your point and it's a shame to see what happened to Mikami but Capcom cannot be trusted when it comes to committing the Resident Evil series to one platform.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby TEEPO™ » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:44 pm

It would be funny if RE4 turned out to be shit.

TEEPO™ has received a thanks from: QWERTY
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby Bambi » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:04 pm

TEEPO™ wrote:It would be funny if RE4 turned out to be shit.

Hysterical. :P
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to General Gaming