What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby OL » Tue May 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Okay, since you're such a big fan, explain to me what in the hell Genesis and Angeal are all about then? Genesis especially blabbers on about completely nothing for ten hours. I just want to understand what is going on.

It's been a couple years since I played it, so I might be a little foggy on everything, but they were both part of the same project that created Sephiroth. But while Sephiroth is sort of the "perfect" being infused with Jenova cells, Genesis and Angeal have flaws, and begin to wear away. Genesis rebels when he finds out about the project (much in the same way Sephiroth does in the original game) and escapes, later convincing Angeal to go with him.
That's the basic gist of it (though like I said, it's been a long while since I played through it, so I might have a detail or two mixed up).
It really is a game more tailor made for big fans of the original game, so if you're not super-familiar with FFVII, a few things might escape you. It's loaded with fanservice. You might think the squats are repetitive and stupid, but it's just a visual gag playing off of the canned "excited" animation from FFVII, and I didn't mind it in the least in CC, since it was a flash back to FFVII every time it happened. The simplest of things also act as fanservice, such as actually getting to see Sephiroth prior to him going insane, or fighting the scorpion guard robot in one of the reactors (or was it in Junon? Like I said, been a while). The beach scene you just mentioned was awesome for me, simply for the fact that it takes place in Costa del Sol, which was one of my favorite towns in the original game (and I really didn't expect to see it here).
And that even plays into the way Genesis blabbers on for long stretches. He's quoting from an epic poem called Loveless, much in the way someone might quote from a Shakespeare play or something like that. The interesting thing is, "Loveless" was just a random sign that appeared in the original game during the intro sequence. Presumably people kept asking about it, so they actually gave an explanation as to what it is in Crisis Core; a classic piece of literature in the FFVII universe which was later turned into a stage play (hence the giant sign with the title on it).
Fanservice, pure and simple. The game is filled to the brim with it, and it's all pretty incredibly woven into the whole experience.

I would have to say, if you're not that big a fan of FFVII (which if I remember correctly, I think you always said you though it was overrated...?) a lot of the enjoyment from the game might pass you by as random nothingness. I could actually understand someone not getting as much enjoyment out of it under those circumstances, since it really is a game made just for the fans.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Nerds.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Tue May 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:
OL wrote:Fucking finally beat the 3rd Birthday.

Is Deadly Premonition next?

I think so. Started it yesterday. Only really finished the first basic shooting stage and got to my hotel room.

But at the same time as that, I'm also playing something else with the intent of making another video. So no idea how long it'll take me to beat Deadly Premonition (I refuse to call it "DP").
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 10, 2011 12:59 pm

But it's more fun to call is Double Penetration.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 pm

I love ff7, played it when it was new, but I know the limits of the game. It wasn't the crazy new experience for me that it was for others because I had played enough RPGs and more then that, I'd played 6.

The fanservice is really over the top, its really not even a game, its just fanservice set to cg battle pron. The story makes no sense, the gameplay is badly designed and if it weren't for the fact that they did get the atmosphere perfectly for not only midgard but the whole world I'd really see no point in picking it up. I wanted to see costa del sol, but why not actually explain something new instead of squats on the beach. (the squats is also a reference to the whole "Tranny gym" section also)

Truth is its like playing a fanfic, and even for a fan like me, I'd rather be playing a game with more substance, if I want to experience ff7, I'll play ff7.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Segata is making it sound Square did a nintendo. NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA NOSTALGIA..PROFIT!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 pm

OL wrote:
Vyse Hazuky wrote:

I think so. Started it yesterday. Only really finished the first basic shooting stage and got to my hotel room.

But at the same time as that, I'm also playing something else with the intent of making another video. So no idea how long it'll take me to beat Deadly Premonition (I refuse to call it "DP").

Make sure you start looking for side quests early. Looking at the guide i missed so much during my first play
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Tue May 10, 2011 1:51 pm

OL wrote:
Vyse Hazuky wrote:

Take your time. The longer the better, I think.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Tue May 10, 2011 3:08 pm

The physics in Amped 3 are fucking whack.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Oppy » Tue May 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Kenny wrote:The physics in Amped 3 are fucking whack.

Agreed, amped 3 is a joke, so is Shaun White. The only good snowboarding game this gen is StoKed, which is fucking AWESOME.
Its actually quite realistic (unlike Amped and Shaun White, which seem to have the same old worn out Tony Hawk style game-play), you can choose a mountain and go anywhere you want, make your own runs and stuff. and even fly a helicopter around and jump out wherever you want on the mountain. also the weather changes so everyday the snow cover and weather is different over all the runs. I could go on forever about how awesome it is but I wont. Check out some youtube vids or rent it if you can.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Kenny » Tue May 10, 2011 6:29 pm

I need to get it then. I definitely heard about it but never looked into it. Might be dirt cheap by now.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 11, 2011 12:40 am

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 am

Sexy.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 11, 2011 6:05 am

*Kenshin Himura* wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote:Image

Time to go back and finish the DLC.

The visuals in ilomilo are superb. Only played the trial but it seems really nice and casual to play with someone.

Yeah its a great game and some of the best level designs ive seen in a while. Lovely music aswell.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed May 11, 2011 2:50 pm

^Yeah I agree very much, I'm going to have to purchase ilomilo sometime this week. :P

but playing Moon Divers now, this game is really addicting, don't know why but I love how it somewhat reminds me of Shinobi. Except this is up to 4 players so you can play with your friends. Graphics/Animations are great. Storyline is not bad at all, but overall a pretty cool Side scrolling action/platformer from Square Enix

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Aa4SOKve8[/youtube]
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming