Yu Suzuki Interview from Gameblog.fr

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Yu Suzuki Interview from Gameblog.fr

Postby Ziming » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Original
http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_372_yu ... -interview

Translation provided by Schiff

Your activity in the last years has been shrouded with a lot of mystery. What are you doing now?

- Actually I'm working on many things that right now are just at project level, concepts. And I'm doing everything I can to make them happen. Among them, the things I care the most are related to games for smartphone, but there are other things, too.

* Later, during the conference, Yu Suzuki said he would love to be able to work on iPhone, iPad and… Kinect.

Let's talk a bit about your career, which we can split into three great periods: the amazing Arcade era of the 80s, the shift from 2D to 3D in the 90s and finally the Shenmue era… which period do you prefer?

- In my career, the most stimulating moment for me was for sure the shift to 3D.

Shenmue Gai itself is a work project that concerns mobile gaming?

- The idea is to continue developing Shenmue Gai on smartphones, yes.

Should we finally expect a new announcement?

- I would love to reveal more soon but I cannot talk about such things for the moment, since these are just projects.

We can say the Shenmue period has not finished… Do you think you suffer as much as your supporters for the premature stop to the adventures of Ryo? What do you feel about this matter?

- Yes, this unsettles me a lot, too. You know, I would really love to make the sequel, if I could.

You can say your vision about Shenmue was too ambitious at that time. Maybe if it had been a bit less "great" it would have been possible to have enough time to publish all the episodes?

- Yes, it's true, this fact is part of the reason.

And if you had the chance to finally publish Shenmue III, then years after having written its story, its concept, its gameplay, would you change many things of the game?

- It would be for sure a totally different approach from Shenmue II, if I could do it.

Okay, but would you accept to compromise on the technological aspect?

- From a sheer technical point of view, there are things that cost a lot of money and others that don't cost a thing. The idea might be to change actually a bit the approach, but at the same time to keep a good level of quality. You could actually have a less "great" approach, but my idea is to develop something which adapts to the license.

And in case the possibly to develop Shenmue III never came, have you thought about using Shenmue Gai as a mean to continue the main story?

- So far no, Shenmue Gai is too different in its concept, it's a social game. Its main idea is develop relationships among players, while keeping the world and vision of Shenmue, of course, but, first of all, the aim is to allow the players to communicate. I want to keep the story aside and use it for Shenmue III, if I have the chance do make it someday…

But have you had at least the beginning of a plan? A discussion? A contact? A trail?

- I know you regularly hear this kind of rumors but at the moment there's nothing really concrete. If someday I have the slightest chance to develop Shenmue III, I'll do it.

(* During the conference at the end of the day, Yu Suzuki said the same thing with these words: "I must make Shenmue III".)

When you look at all the new concepts you introduced to the game industry at that time with Shenmue, some of which a few years later would have given birth to very successful games such as GTA III, do you feel proud?

- Yes, I'm really happy for this. Especially for the example you just made… I was very glad to meet with the creator of GTA, who came to greet me a few years ago.

I'll take advantage of this chance of meeting to ask you a question I wonder about from a very long time with no answer… Project Berkley was the project name for Shenmue, but why exactly "Berkley"?

- Ah, it was a decoy for a secret project. It comes from a Japanese pun, with a word which means "to start in reverse", "to pretend not to have seen".

So it had nothing to do with Berkley in the United States?

- Actually no, it was just the part of the project name which made a pun of it. To say somehow "I know nothing, I pretend not to see anything"… And the fact it sounded like an American game made a lot of red herring.

Unfortunately our interview comes already to an end, may I ask you if you are playing lately and what?

- Of course I play… 9 balls…. billiard! And I also love wine. About this, I'm taking the chance of being here in France: yesterday I had a very good wine tasting!
Last edited by Ziming on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ziming has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview from Gameblog.fr

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Good to hear that Yu Suzuki has no intention in following the story through Shenmue Gai. What a relieved,
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spokane » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby sasuke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 pm

It makes me happy to see that Yu Suzuki cares about shenmue has much has the fans.
Any other creator would have given up by now.
sasuke
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:37 am

what the hell? They are discussing elements and aspects of development for Shenmue 3... WEIRD. Atleast he is saying it must be made though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 am

Nothing all that promising here, and I dunno how accurate that translation is, but it's weird hearing Yu actually reference "Shenmue 3" in conversation. For many years, from time to time, someone would ask him about it and he'd say "you'll see" or "no plans at this time". I guess essentially he says the same thing here, but he actually referred to "Shenmue 3" as if it might exist in that form one day (whereas in the past he never seemed to specifically say "Shenmue" and "3" in the same phrase or sentence, even the Mark Cerny interview, he just said, 'I think they will let me make it')

At least, as far as I can recall, it's been awhile since Yu publicly said "Shenmue 3" in this context
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Schiff » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 am

Ziming, I sent you a pm ;)
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby led_wing » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W1K6RaT_tw[/youtube]
led_wing
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Led Wing
Currently playing: Dark Souls

Postby Stocke » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:29 pm

After so many months have past with no news, it's nice to see that he's still determined. I was starting to get worried.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Wow he was smiling SUPER big when asked about the HD remakes of S1 and S2. I would buy them all over again for that alone.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby SelfActualized » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm

I would definitely purchase HD remakes of those classics =]
Although it seems to me (like others have said) that Shenmue 3's future is still as ambiguous.
SelfActualized
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby el_clown » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Also, please visit the article of the video interview at videoxoc.com. We are giving away a Shenmue game signed by Yu Suzuki! http://www.videoxoc.com/noticias/item/6 ... -show-2011

SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR SHENMUE!!!
el_clown
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: el clown
Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Bambi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:56 pm

led_wing wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W1K6RaT_tw[/youtube]

Great interview, thanks a lot for posting it.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Fenix » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:55 pm

FANTASTIC interview el_clown.

I'm so stupid! I could give you my 2 sealed Shenmue to you to get a signed pack of games for my collection!!!!!!!
I missed that chance #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

Anyway I'll try to call you tomorow to speak about the interwiew :)
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Bogaty » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm sure a remake or a port is about to be made. This smiling on this video is quite different than the answers about Shenmue 3. And on the ppublic conference he made a strange movement of head when he heard the same question.
Shenmue was a tabou for many years and now I'm sure it will go on the right way. I just hope that they will not release the two games like they did with the dreamcast collection, Shenmue is a serious thing !
If they really release these ports/remakes, it would mean that SEGA take a Shenmue 3 release in consideration !
The Shenmue's army has gained a lot of ground this year.
Bogaty
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Next

Return to Shenmue III