Shenmue inspired trips to japan topic

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue inspired trips to japan topic

Postby lavrentis » Sun May 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Ryudo wrote:I don't give a shit if the second coming was going on and satan himself took over Japan. I'm going there some day. It may be the last thing I do in life but I don't care. I'd die happy.

Yeah I'm the same but I think its a modern thing because I love Japan but my nan and even my mother are slightly apprehensive of the Japanese even though I advise them otherwise ...
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Sun May 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:
Lyo wrote:Hello,

I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but I think that considering the recents informations on Fukushima situation,
I'll personnally not go to Japan for now, but really want to go there one day.

A lot of informations can be find on this website (in french and english) :
http://fukushima.over-blog.fr/

Peace.

Your decision. ALways will be. Seriously, i just wish there were less people with zero knowledge trying to spread disinformation about it. You're right when you dont recommend to live in Fukushima city and surrounding areas for a long time, but imho being like "I don't go to Japan because of Fukushima" is ridiculous. I have seen so many foreign douchebags in japan who were just paranoid or had fun trying to spread panic, there was one guy in a subway with a geiger counter and he was like "OMG look at the radiation!!!" and actually the readings were lower than the normal background level here in Germany where i live. I even met people who were like "OMG, california is radiated due to Fukushima!!!". I cant read that french website very well but i highly doubt it can tell us anything new. Imho analyzing the situation of Fukushima from France is as effective as writing about the syria riots from your pool chair in palm beach.

shhh it's a blog written by a French hipster on his revolutionary macbook air, do not question the knowledge of the internet bloggers unbeliever :lol:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Mon May 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Lyo wrote:Hello,

I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but I think that considering the recents informations on Fukushima situation,
I'll personnally not go to Japan for now, but really want to go there one day.

A lot of informations can be find on this website (in french and english) :
http://fukushima.over-blog.fr/

Peace.

I myself just came back from Japan. Traveled from Tokyo to Kyoto, to Nara, and up to Yokosuka. I still have a full head of hair, and my skin is not peeling, so the radiation isn't a problem ;-)

A few strange things I learned throughout my journey:

1.) Yokosuka had the nicest hotel (mercure yokosuka), but had the least to do. I stayed right off of Dobuita street. Literally a 2 minute walk from my hotel door. Unfortunately Dobuita street does not look that much like Shenmue Dobuita, as it is much smaller. It is also ruined at night by the mass amount of idiotic sailors walking around yelling and swearing. They even wander out into the surrounding neighborhoods. This made it so my friend and I got looked at by the locals in a poor light. The Japanese natives were the most rude in this area and I don't blame them one bit.

2.) Also one thing I learned is that the Japanese are very polite and usually willing to help but the language barrier can be very frustrating at times. I know a decent amount of Japanese and found it very difficult to get to some areas and navigate some places. It is extremely rude to go into another country and not at least try to speak the native language. At times I felt embarressed and upset at myself for not being more fluent. I feel that knowing the language is a necessity contrary to what others say. It will make the experience much more enjoyable.

3.) Speaking with my host in Kyoto, I told her how some of the older Japanese men would joke around with us in the morning puffing out their arms and one was even jokingly shadowboxing and fake lifting weights by me. It was creepy at times as they grabbed my arms and were squeezing them :| I was a college athlete and my friend is a personal trainer so we both stick out like sore thumbs. My host said they don't often see tall or muscular guys in Japan, and I mentioned how we had only seen maybe 3 chubby or obese people. I could go to the mall where I am from and within 10 seconds of walking in the door I could count 5. She said the Japanese look down on fat people because it shows a lack of willpower and signs of laziness.

You could really see why there were so few obese people in Japan. A lot of people rode bikes and the portion sizes in food were quite small. They had virtually no milk, and their chicken and beef was of very poor quality. Yet the portion sizes were enough that one wouldn't gorge themselves. The transportation in Japan was also convenient, however I did not always use it as I was too excited and wanted to explore...however after racking up 79 miles on the pedometer I thought twice about using public transportation. We rented bikes and rode them around Kyoto to visit some of the landmarks, which was nice. Overall the trip was amazing (except the flight, 11 and a half hours from LA crammed in a tiny seat.) If you plan on going I would say skip Yokosuka all together. the streets of Tokyo resemble those of Ryo's Shenmue much more.

ShOzO MiZuKi has received a thanks from: Axm
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 pm

I hate you all
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:12 am

It is also ruined at night by the mass amount of idiotic sailors walking around yelling and swearing. They even wander out into the surrounding neighborhoods. This made it so my friend and I got looked at by the locals in a poor light. The Japanese natives were the most rude in this area and I don't blame them one bit

looool.This actually sounds just like Shenmue, populated with rude drunk sailors and rude residents (did you get called a twit by a schoolgirl by any chance?). Lovely photo's though Shozo. Thanks for sharing
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 am

I think mue26 and me nearly ran into each other, maybe we have even seen each other at the Asakusa Festival when the portable shrines got carried around.

This year it was the first time i went to Hakone to see the legendary smoking mountains, that was pretty impressive.

The whole mountain area was quite impressive, it was so beautiful, so different from Tokyo and the big cities. Many cute little villages and so much stunning nature, it is hard to describe with words. Such a different Japan from Tokyo.

Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby R3N » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 am

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote:
Lyo wrote: Overall the trip was amazing (except the flight, 11 and a half hours from LA crammed in a tiny seat.) If you plan on going I would say skip Yokosuka all together. the streets of Tokyo resemble those of Ryo's Shenmue much more.

Yes that is like a torture, but mine was from new york so it was over 13 hours.

I believe every shenmue fan should go to Yokosuka once it is a nice unique experience. I remember the air feels like shenmue and the sky full with grey clouds like in shenmue. The only difference Is that Yokoska in shenmue is the Yokoska from 25 years ago so it obviously has changed a lot.
But I think going twice its too much. The place is cool at first and all but There are soo many better places in Japan.
Its just a simple Japanese town and yet it does not feel completely Japanese because it has a western feel too.
I am going to Japan today I am heading to airport in few hours and I am still thinking if I should go to Yokoska again or not.I could take train from Tokyo and spend day there. I liked and enjoyed more Azabu juban in Tokyo another of my most wanted destinations :) and I am going there again and explore in for 1 or 2 days.
I plan to do a road trip too in last few days :). My Stay will be 20 days.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 am

Is it yokosuka or yokohama which is supposed to have loads of delinquents and biker gangs?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sailors? » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57 am

Some good pictures there from Shozo, and yes it does sound like Shenmue with the drunken sailors. Must visit one day.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby lavrentis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:01 am

Okay here are some pics of Yokosuka! :)

If you do go to Japan, Yokosuka is only an hour really on the train on the Yokosuka line (around 1200Y each way to/from Tokyo station iirc) and it will make you feel warm inside when you arrive so it is always worth it.

lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby wude » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Nice pics Lavrentis, tnx for sharing :)
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:55 am

Hey lavrentis very cool, I have very similar pictures from my trip! Heres a cool one of Dobuita at night

Master Kyodai wrote:I think mue26 and me nearly ran into each other, maybe we have even seen each other at the Asakusa Festival when the portable shrines got carried around.

Hey Kyodai I was at that festival too! We were on the news and everything. We stayed at hotel Asakusa which is about 3 blocks from there.

ShOzO MiZuKi has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Thief
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Wel i stayed in Minami-senju at a friends hotel, just next to Asakusa. I know the area pretty well as my fiancee works in Asaksu. Have you been to that Asakusa Rox? They have that Sushi cutting arcade game from the 80s at the 4th or 5th floor.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:34 pm

I wish i wish i wish i could grow a set and go up to visit when i am in Oz. But the culture difference/language barrier really is too much for me to take :cry:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:04 am

I have lived in Japan for the past 3 years and 10 years ago, I did a home stay in Hiroshima. For the past 3 years, I have lived in Kagawa, Ehime, Hiroshima, Niigata, and I currently live in Saitama, but do plan to visit Yokohama and Yokosuka next month. Even before I played Shenmue, I was always interested in going to Japan and I did take Japanese in high school. Funny thing is, I bought a Japanese copy of Shenmue on December 31, 1999, and I spent my first few minutes of the year 2000 playing this epic title. I was 15 at the time. I was studying Japanese so Shenmue really helped me to some degree.

Shenmue excellently simulates the Japanese environment and the routines of daily life. I could go on and on. Beyond pop culture interest, Japan is a fascinating place to enjoy. Don't believe in the western media bullshit about radiation, it is exaggerated beyond idiocy. Yes, it is a problem, but it is very well contained to just the immediate area. But unfortunately, I do know people that were living within that area and had to be re-located but they are doing fine now.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue