What are the things you hate about Shenmue?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What are the things you hate about Shenmue?

Postby Shenmue Master » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:29 am

the things i hate about shenmue are people that look inhuman like Chai, for instance he looks like a zombie. Shenmue was always a realistic game. Not a game with undead creatures trying to kill you or riding the mythical dragon, or stuff like that :roll:
Shenmue Master
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drporkchop » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:55 am

The English voices...Well, not all of them, but most of them. Goro, that lady at the harbor TCS, Fuk-San...*shudders* However, since PAL DC Shenmue 2 has Japanese voices and English subs, it's perfect, so nothing.
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:07 am

There is nothing that I "hate" in shenmue just minor annoyances but overall the game is just fine...almost perfect.

Only in the first game was the Questionable voice acting by some of the background characters.

Shenmue IIx improved on it immensly.

The only thing I strongly dislike is the wait for shenmue III ;)

And SM I really think Yu got the idea of chia after gallum from LOTR books...And you are supposed to pity/dislike him I believe...he is disgusting and a villian.

I would make enhancement like Ryo show more emotion and we have the choice to eat or not heck why not use the Xbox voice sets to ask some questions in the game or talk with people.....
Last edited by Bluecast on Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby JoKeR2k3 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:18 am

i hate moving crates
JoKeR2k3
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yukupo » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:22 am

How can I hate? There is nothing for me to hate about it. As Sonic-Blue said, only minor annoyances. Though I can't really think of any, except a few voices. I never viewed Chai as inhuman. He doesn't seem zombie like to me, just a little messed up in the head.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby code l name » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:52 am

Like already said I don't really hate anything in the games (The cloest aspect being the English voice-acting) but there are certainly parts of both games I could see a huge rom for improvements and changes.

-Voice acting/dialogue. For a game as cinematic as Shenmue I really feel the English VA and dialogue at times pulls you out of the experience. I understand it's not an easy task when there are so many characters but even some of the central figures have some pretty horrible voices, which can quickly get on the nerves of anyone. A bigger problem I see is the way dialogue is conducted and used. Some of the writing is very cumbersome, and if there was some script changes made it could certainly be to the benefit of the cinematic experience.

There are some gameplay lulls, boring errand runs, and of course some lame jobs (Thank god moving crates was optional) but they are all minor annoyances.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:47 am

I never really considered Chai unrealistic...someone could make themselves look that bad if they really wanted to ;P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby FeelinLuckyPUNK » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:48 am

I hated the waiting around for things to open in Shenmue 1 but that has been cleared uo in Shenmue 2. The voice acting is weird in some cases but i hate the look of the graphics on Shenmue 2. They are too bright. Whereas Shenmue 1 is perfectly done.
FeelinLuckyPUNK
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ys » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:08 am

I hate the fact that the game always seems to end that fast hehe. Even if I've played lots of hours. I want to play more hours per game maybe.

But what I really hate is the fact that there isn't a Shenmue III yet, and IV, V,... ;)
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Cyberman » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:30 am

The Chinese speaking voices in the background in Shenmue II. They can be downright annoying sometimes.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sailorstick » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:11 pm

I disagree with the complaints about the voice acting. The only bad ones are a the minor NPCs, I don't have a problem with any of the main characters.
What I hate about Shenmue: ...I'm still thinking...no, nothing.
Sailorstick
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue Master » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:16 pm

the minor NPC voice actor who voices that woman you meet at the beginning of Shenmue II, who says "someone just took a picture of you, you dont have to buy it" that one annoys me the most.
it sounds stupid though, other than that only little minor things, but chai the most
Shenmue Master
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:18 pm

i just dont like the magical part at the end of shenmue II, and the games are too short for me
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Shenmue Master » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:19 pm

yeah that magic crap just doesnt cut it, one of the reasons i like shenmue is because of its realism, i wanted to getaway from those magic fantasy games.
Shenmue Master
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:20 pm

exactly. thats the way ive wanted games since i was little.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Next

Return to Shenmue III