The Shenmue Tree, symbolism, and it's role

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

The Shenmue Tree, symbolism, and it's role

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:06 pm

Due to technical errors, the original content of this post has been temporary lost, and hope to have it recreated soon
Last edited by Tomato Convenience Store on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Daemos » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:08 pm

Interesting. *theories forming*
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:46 pm

Im more curious about the history of it...in the flashback, there's so many different trees that all look like Shenmue...I made a theory about that though, I'll post it when I find it.

About what it does, who knows? The game and the tree share a name...but I think the game really isn't named after the TREE, more like the meaning of the tree. The tree symbolizes "Shenmue", and so the game is named after that-but we don't really know what Shenmue means.

But when Shenhua called that "The Shenmue tree" I almost died. That, next to Lan Di on the copter, was probably the biggest surprise in the game. I knew from before I played the tree meant something-I think I saw it in a demo, and Ryo and Shenhua were talking about the mirrors under it. I'll have to watch that next time I go to my friends. But when I finally saw the tree, and was walking up to it, I just thought "Shit, there it is" I knew it had to mean something, but when Ryo said "What's that?" and Shenhua said "Shenmue"...I loved that part.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby drporkchop » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:52 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:
But when Shenhua called that "The Shenmue tree" I almost died. That, next to Lan Di on the copter, was probably the biggest surprise in the game. I knew from before I played the tree meant something-I think I saw it in a demo, and Ryo and Shenhua were talking about the mirrors under it. I'll have to watch that next time I go to my friends. But when I finally saw the tree, and was walking up to it, I just thought "Shit, there it is" I knew it had to mean something, but when Ryo said "What's that?" and Shenhua said "Shenmue"...I loved that part.

Ditto.

I never thought anything could surpass that scene on the top of the Yellow Head building, but when Shenhua called that tree "Shenmue," my jaw hit the floor.
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:10 pm

I found my theory on the history of that Shenmue tree

Lan Di-sama wrote:
Kind of off the current subject, but when I was playing the end of S2 last night I noticed the many "shenmue" trees, but there was on VERY close to the tree Shenhua was under. By the Shenmue tree now, there is a stump... I looked for other stumps, but I was in a hurry to beat it so I couldn't look too much, but maybe that tree stump is the only one you can reach while playing? You do have a limited area around Shenhua's house. I think that the place in the flashback and the place Shenhua lives is the same, it just has to be...from different time periods, it seems. But Shenhua's father said "The Shenmue tree" has its leaves and bloom, and "the shenmue tree" will watch over her. He said it as if there were only one...maybe the other trees are the same REAL type of tree, just the Shenmue tree was what they called it, for a reason we don't know yet? And its possible the fire Shenhua mentions burned the old house, and all the other trees down, except the Shenmue tree (explaining the stump, it didnt look as if it were cut, cant remember though). And since Shenhuas old house was made of wood, that would explain why they use stone for houses now, even though Shenhua's house IS wood...

And another slight possiblilty is Shenhua used to live on the other side of town, and she was under a different tree, because Shenhua mentioned there are "old buildings and castle walls" in the village. Remember the village was founded by nobles expelled from the city by the emporer, that would explain the noble setting, and Shenhua's parents clothes. In the flashback on the swing, Shenhua is wearing similar clothes to her parents, but in her new house-she could have been relocated to that house after her parents died.

Ech, thats it for me, I'm done making theories. Just after playing, the first theory came to be and seemed more likely than others I've though of.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:35 pm

Well when I first heard that Shenmue is a tree I said, omg that's gay XD lol but I still love the series.
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby b_ren » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:59 am

Nice theorys. About what Tomato Convenience Store wrote. I still think there will be more that just revenge on Lan Di. Finishing the game with the Chiyoumen and Lan Di still around will be stupid.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zuming007 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:20 am

One site said ( http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... ymbols.htm ) that the tree represents life, knowledge, the fall of man through sin, and human fruition or frailty. "The fall of man through sin" really stood out to me, as it could mean that Ryo's path to revenge will make him ultimately reach his death. "Frailty" also means "A fault, especially a moral weakness." Ryo's quest for revenge is morally wrong, as it requires him to kill another man.

In regards to what that web site said, I don't think that it can be taken that easilt. Much of Tomato summarized connects very closely to the biblical story of Adam and Eve in the Garden Of Eden found in the book of Genesis. In that instance, mankind did fall from God's favor because they sinned by parking of the fodbidden fruit. The frailty, or moral weakness part, is also connected closely to this story. I believe that these aspects will not connect to the story. I have a hunch that the Shenmue tree possesses many mystical, cultural, and magical qualities that will be revealed in future game (if there are any.... :| ).
Zuming007
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:38 pm

Zuming007 wrote:
One site said ( http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... ymbols.htm ) that the tree represents life, knowledge, the fall of man through sin, and human fruition or frailty. "The fall of man through sin" really stood out to me, as it could mean that Ryo's path to revenge will make him ultimately reach his death. "Frailty" also means "A fault, especially a moral weakness." Ryo's quest for revenge is morally wrong, as it requires him to kill another man.

In regards to what that web site said, I don't think that it can be taken that easilt. Much of Tomato summarized connects very closely to the biblical story of Adam and Eve in the Garden Of Eden found in the book of Genesis. In that instance, mankind did fall from God's favor because they sinned by parking of the fodbidden fruit. The frailty, or moral weakness part, is also connected closely to this story. I believe that these aspects will not connect to the story. I have a hunch that the Shenmue tree possesses many mystical, cultural, and magical qualities that will be revealed in future game (if there are any.... :| ).

Yea I pretty much listed all the stuff I could find on that website so everyone could draw their own conclusions. I personally think it serves as symbolism in a sense that revenge always goes full circle, and a peaceful life leads to a long life. The Shenmue tree just sits there out in nature and has been alive for thousands of years. I think it WILL have a sort of spiritual connection, but more of empowering Ryo and Shenhua than giving them mystical powers. But then again, Shenhua did show powers at the end of Shenmue II.

I feel really important since this is a sticky now :D
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Louis » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:56 am

interesting stuff right there
Louis
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sex machiene » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:50 pm

hearing all of this makes me wonder
i believe that ryo is following the same path as iwao and lan di. i believe iwao killed someone for a person he loved and i believe lan di did the same with iwao. the leaf and yuanda zhu is proof that iwao was at the shenmue tree before. I believe thats why ryo will not fight lan di. he will realize from the shenmue tree and shenhua that revenge is wrong which is the theme underlying the shenmue series. or maybe there will be a choice whether to kill lan di or not. i believe if ryo kills lan di then he will end up like his father. to me this is why the game was named shenmue. it stands for doing the right thing.
sex machiene
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby B-Man » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:27 pm

Good theories, Tomato. The Shenmue Tree just has to be important, or else the game wouldn't have been called Shenmue.

There are just so many unaswered questions in the Shenmue series and sometimes I fear that they will remain unanswered. :cry:

*praying that Shenmue III gets released eventually* [-o<
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby xatruio » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:39 pm

EDIT

scratch that... :lol:
Last edited by xatruio on Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby QWERTY » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:13 am

I agree with sex machiene,there may be multiple endings but the main 2 will be whether you kill Lan Di or not.If you do choose to fight him then you may have a free battle and if you choose to not fight him it will be a QTE where you will dodge all his attacks.

QWERTY has received a thanks from: TEEPO™
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby code l name » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:32 pm

Thanks for all the information, certainly one of the more interesting threads regarding Shenmue, I've seen in sometime.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III