Things that pissed you off

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Things that pissed you off

Postby QWERTY » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 am

My mum's side of the family have a history of having less than perfect gnashers, and guess who's genes are more prominent in my structure out of my parents? Yep, my mum. Her dad was a private dentist and all! It's a pain in the arse when you look after your teeth but they still go tits up later in life due to hereditarianism.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 am

ah well that's unlucky, I knew a girl with that problem, she's only 18 but had to have 5 teeth removed luckily for her she has a family member who is a dentist, but better off getting that passed down than cancer I guess so there it ain't all bad
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby QWERTY » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:52 am

south carmain wrote:ah well that's unlucky, I knew a girl with that problem, she's only 18 but had to have 5 teeth removed luckily for her she has a family member who is a dentist, but better off getting that passed down than cancer I guess so there it ain't all bad

True dat. Nothing like that in my family, thank god. Only other thing is potential dementia but I wouldn't want to be compos mentis if I had to rely on someone wiping my arse for me.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Spokane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm scared to get what runs in my family.

Let's see, my grandpa on my mom's side survived Pancreatic cancer but died from Liver Cancer that spread to his lymph nodes. He also had macular degeneration in his eyes and had to have that painful laser eye surgery several times, they even stick a damn needle in your eyes. He had dentures since his mid 20's but I am not concerned there. Back problems of course thats something a lot of older people get and had some special plate put on his spine or something. Had a hernia that needed to be operated on twice I think. Nearly had a heart attack, he got in to the hospital before it happened and they performed emergency triple bypass heart surgery on him.

That was all in his last 10-14 years of his life. He did smoke until his near heart attack and he started when he was like 13 he said, that was the first major health scare he had before the cancer and eye problems and hernia and stuff.

My grandma on my mom's side seemed to be healthy and I was expecting she would live at least as long as her mom did into her 90s. Tragedy struck us February last year she died suddenly on the 3rd of that month of an aortic aneurysm. Only in her early 70's. Same as grandpa, early 70's. Died only 13-14 months or so apart from each other. The fucked up part was she went to the hospital earlier that day and they misdiagnosed her and put it off as something not so serious and prescribed something for her and sent her home. Boy were they wrong, my mom vows never to go to that hospital again. It is smaller than the other 2 hospitals we have but it's closer to our house but the other 2 large ones and can handle anything except serious burns, burn patients get sent across the state to Harborview in Seattle (yes I have heard about so many burn patients over the years I know the name of the burn center in Seattle by heart).

My dad's dad I never knew, died when my dad was a pre-teen or early teens of a heart attack, he was in his early 40s.

My dad's mom is still alive in her late 60's early 70s but she recently had a cancerous spot found but I guess it's doing ok now. The doc blamed smoking and the stubborn lady is still doing it.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:58 pm

looks like you don't have much to fear as most of it was probably brought on by lifestyle choices, not to mention the amount of cancerous shit that used to go in everything back in their day probably brought it on, but if you're worried about heart attacks and cancer you can always drink white/green tea daily, the high levels of antioxidants prevent just that, cancer and cardiovascular diseases and also have many other benefits (slowing cell deterioration, getting rid of acne etc)

@qwerty, I heard having a mediterranean diet may lower considerably the risk of contracting dementia in your older life, that and a social life with exercise keeping your stress levels down
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Tuffty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Feeling rather frustrated at my employers. I'm being asked to travel more lately you see, my most recent venture being my longest commitment yet, with 4 weeks in Luxembourg. Very nice, I hear you say, except the way our expense system works is rather crap. There is no company credit card, so I've been asked to pay for travel/hotel/meals out of my own money, under the promise that the money will be paid back promptly after submitting expense reports. Which I have done each week. Not one of them has been paid back yet. And without going into too much detail, each claim was close to or slightly above the £1k mark, so hell yeh I'm pissed off. Even more considering I haven't heard a word back from those in charge after sending an email to them asking them what's up. I will be telling them I'm not going to travel for them again unless they pay me back first. Hopefully that will get the ball rolling, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable in taking that stance with them.

Rant over.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Tuffty wrote:Feeling rather frustrated at my employers. I'm being asked to travel more lately you see, my most recent venture being my longest commitment yet, with 4 weeks in Luxembourg. Very nice, I hear you say, except the way our expense system works is rather crap. There is no company credit card, so I've been asked to pay for travel/hotel/meals out of my own money, under the promise that the money will be paid back promptly after submitting expense reports. Which I have done each week. Not one of them has been paid back yet. And without going into too much detail, each claim was close to or slightly above the £1k mark, so hell yeh I'm pissed off. Even more considering I haven't heard a word back from those in charge after sending an email to them asking them what's up. I will be telling them I'm not going to travel for them again unless they pay me back first. Hopefully that will get the ball rolling, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable in taking that stance with them.

Rant over.

It's not great to think that "money is everything" (apparently), but either way, that is a pretty terrifying situation you got there! :shock: Hope it gets sorted!

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Tuffty
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Spokane wrote:I'm scared to get what runs in my family.

My dad's mom is still alive in her late 60's early 70s but she recently had a cancerous spot found but I guess it's doing ok now. The doc blamed smoking and the stubborn lady is still doing it.

I don't wish to scare you, but my grandmother had the exact same thing. It was on her neck. Now, she was never a smoker. Long story short, the removed the cancerous mole and all was good for a few years. Then it turned out, some cancer remained and had spread to her brain. By the time she was diagnosed, she showed serious speech difficulties. She knew what she wanted to say, but could not say it. She was beyond saving at the point of diagnosis. For the longest time, the doctors all seemed convinced that she had some form of dementia (she was in her mid 70s by this point).

The time between her being diagnosed with brain cancer to the time that she died was very short, only a few months. Deterioration was rapid. As I said, I don't mean to scare you. This is just a warning. If your grandmother ever develops dementia-like symptoms, urge your doctors to explore the possibility of her apparently cured cancer returning. All my Nan had was a cancerous mole on her neck. Within five years she died of brain cancer.

Hopefully the people looking after your grandmother are better than the ones who cared for mine, and this circumstance is impossible for her. Just keep it in mind, bro.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Spokane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:38 pm

I forgot to mention where it was, it was on her bladder I think. My mom's grandma on her mom's side also had bladder cancer (she never smoked) so it runs on both sides of my family too.

A few years ago my dad had some malignant melanoma extracted from his neck.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Tuffty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:55 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:It's not great to think that "money is everything" (apparently), but either way, that is a pretty terrifying situation you got there! :shock: Hope it gets sorted!

I may be misunderstanding you here, but I don't think money is everything. Rather, I'm more concerned and pissed off at the fact I've had to pay for business expenses out of my own account and it hasn't been paid back yet when I was promised it would be. Nor have I got any clarification about it after asking. It's a substantial sum for anyone, and I'm not at all comfortable with the fact that I don't have my own money back.
Last edited by Tuffty on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Bought a DS game on ebay that said it was brand new. The box looked rough and I popped it in only for it to have saved files on it. I emailed the woman telling her she had listed it as new. Her response was along the lines of. "I bought it from a shop as new. Should it matter since it works anyway?"
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sailors? » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:07 am

Dentist bills.

Sailors? has received 2 thanks from: Spokane, Who Really Cares?
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Bastard Yusuke » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:10 pm

This homeless guy begging for change. Get a real fucking job, stumpy.

Bastard Yusuke has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, St. Elmo's Fire
Bastard Yusuke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Bastard Yusuke wrote:This homeless guy begging for change. Get a real fucking job, stumpy.

:letitallout:

ShOzO MiZuKi has received a thanks from: Spokane
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby QWERTY » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:07 pm

I tell you what pisses me off, that horrible sense of dread you get on a Sunday evening when you know you have to be up and in work on Monday. :-({|=

QWERTY has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic