What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Spokane wrote:
Dorian wrote:
QWERTY™ wrote:
Riku Rose wrote:
QWERTY™ wrote: Ico HD. Struggling to see what all the fuss is about tbh.

I thought it was a cracking little game but not one of the top 10 best ever games which it always seems to creep up in. I much preferred SotC and loved the look of Last Guardian.

While it's a nice little game, and I do appreciate a break from the norm, I can't help but feel having to fend off those little black bastards every time you discover a new area feels a little bit like padding out the longevity of the game somewhat. SotC is great though.

ICO is a virutal trip back to your childhood dreams... if you had dreams like that. If you didn't, you will just find a shitty little platformer.

I just played it for the first time a few months ago and loved it. I just proved your argument invalid.

With you. Not the best game I ever played but a darn good one. I was more caught up with the presentation and atmosphere than gameplay. I liked SOTC better myself. I also like some clones like Lost In Shadow tho it was rough and a tad too long.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Lost Odyssey

Bluecast has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 pm

What are you thinking of it so far? I was wondering how mistwalker could take steps backwards in terms of making HD games like LO and BD on Xbox 360 to a Wii game like TLS. I dont care much about Blue Dragon, but Lost Odyssey I have heard has the FF feel to it as well. Actually now that I think about it, i have yet to play a mistwalker game period. Hopefully TLS gets me hooked on them.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:14 pm

It's not bad so far. TLS is more FF IMO. I liked what I played of Blue Dragon & LO but personally not close to TLS...so far. Personally.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:53 am

OL wrote: An easy recommendation. :nice!:

Especially since its 10$ every other week on amazon, steam or best buy

Playing Peace Walker on PS3, Tales of the Abyss on 3DS and still playing Darksiders.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:58 am

Finally went through and unlocked Raoh in Fist of the North Star.
Some of his moves are insane. Some of his standard combos look like goddamn super moves. Definitely a lot of visual impact going on when playing this motherfucker.

OL has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm rollin' in the 90s, bitches. With Aya Brea. I'm sure ya' all hatin'.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:31 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Copy of Ys on SMS does not work! Guess I have to replace it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Spokane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Been playing Birds of Steel. Easily the best Combat Flight Simulation out on consoles now, and it's visuals are top of the line since it only just came out in March and is up to standards there. In fact I dare say it's right up there with Uncharted 3 in the graphics department. Maybe slightly below but not much.

Another pleasant surprise, I figured this was just going to feature the U.S and Japan theater of war and have just those planes and missions from the Pacific Theater. That's because this is sort of a sequel to Gaijan Entertainment's other WW2 flight combat console game IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey which of course focused on the European Theater of war with an emphasis on the Russian side of it also. I'm glad I was wrong, it features the Pacific and includes new European areas that were not in the last game. Like Malta, the Kuban area of Russia which is near the Black Sea close to Ukraine and the Ruhr area of Germany. Plus most the planes that were used in Europe. It doesn't have the area's from the last game, but to have those included was a damn good surprise. And this is the game I have played multiplayer the most. Multiplayer is fun and a blast and there are several kinds of it too, versus just shooting all the other players, co-op working as a team against the other team, Dynamic Campaigns working with a group of players to win a set of missions against the AI, Mission Editor making your own missions and other people can join you. Plus all those modes except versus can be played by oneself also.

And to unlock planes which you buy so you can use them online and in the Dynamic campaign and self made missions you must earn money which can only be earned in Dynamic campaign or any mode online. So it makes you want to go online and play so you can buy more planes. And I don;t just mean fighters, I mean bombers of all sizes and medium fighters like the Bf-110 (a fighter that is large and heavy with bugger guns than lighter ones). You also earn decals to put on your planes and new paint jobs online.

I guess I have no problem going online in this game because it's just other people who have a passion for games like this and I seem to be up to par with their skills if not a little better since I have a lot of experience with these kinds of games.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Dorian wrote: I'm rollin' in the 90s, bitches. With Aya Brea. I'm sure ya' all hatin'.

You should be playing 3rd Birthday instead

:rotflmao:
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:You should be playing 3rd Birthday instead

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:59 pm

You know, people probably wouldn't believe it, but I kind of have a soft spot for the 3rd Birthday now.
I agree about the majority of the flaws that people cite about it. It's not the greatest of games, and as a Parasite Eve sequel, it's actually kind of terrible. This ain't what fans wanted out of a Parasite Eve-related game. Not in the least.
But putting series-based gripes aside, I actually quite enjoyed it. The gameplay is likely some of the best shooting action available on the PSP (despite the enemies being way too far into "bulet sponge" territory), and the production values are really high for a PSP game. And despite the story not delivering much of anything that PE fans would want, I actually have to give it credit for having a really cool twist near the end that totally explains away one of the main complaints people had about the story.
I fully admit that the game was a disappointment in almost all fronts, but for some reason I still look back kind of fondly on my one playthrough of it.

Has to be said that it still comes nowhere near the greatness of the first game though.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Banjo-Tooie on 360. Got 100% for BK XBLA a while back, so now doing this one. I got all the way to Cloud Cuckooland on N64 then could not continue. Mind you, I never 100% BK on N64 either, so here's hoping I can at least finish 'Tooie on 360! I'll then be going on to Nuts & Bolts, which I also never finished, but that was out of respect for 'Tooie. I did really like what little I played of N&B. I know most fans of the series hate it, but to me it's classic Banjo action with an awesome twist.

As for 'Tooie, I think I prefer it to BK. More of the same, just much, much more of it. Even though it's one world short of BK's count, there's no doubt that it's orders of magnitude bigger than the original game. The worlds are huge, and getting some of those jiggies is a real headache. Also some pretty dark humour in there. This is to Banjo-Kazooie what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time.

Sublime game, highly-recommended for either your N64 or 360 if you like good 3D platformers!
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 pm

OL wrote: You know, people probably wouldn't believe it, but I kind of have a soft spot for the 3rd Birthday now.
I agree about the majority of the flaws that people cite about it. It's not the greatest of games, and as a Parasite Eve sequel, it's actually kind of terrible. This ain't what fans wanted out of a Parasite Eve-related game. Not in the least.
But putting series-based gripes aside, I actually quite enjoyed it. The gameplay is likely some of the best shooting action available on the PSP (despite the enemies being way too far into "bulet sponge" territory), and the production values are really high for a PSP game. And despite the story not delivering much of anything that PE fans would want, I actually have to give it credit for having a really cool twist near the end that totally explains away one of the main complaints people had about the story.
I fully admit that the game was a disappointment in almost all fronts, but for some reason I still look back kind of fondly on my one playthrough of it.

Has to be said that it still comes nowhere near the greatness of the first game though.

There's this one guy I respect in every possible way that said almost the same thing about 3rd Birthday. "Almost". He didn't even try to defend the story. He actually said that it bothered him that such an awesome battle system and what he personally finds to be the best PSP visuals are all brought down by a story made 100% from shit.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Thing is, bad shooting action is bad shooting action even if its better then whats available. Even removing it from the series, it falls down to being pretty and not much else.

Its good you had fun with it, but personally I don't think I'll ever go through it again. If ever I get the urge to play a TPS, it doesn't have anything to offer me that other games don't do better, even when it comes down to personality (ie its a terrible Parasite Eve game unlike say Peace Walker which is a fairly good story despite not being great mechanically)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming