What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:04 am

I just watched Kiss of the vampire followed by you can't stop the music...all while being a block up from where both movies were filmed. Then I walked home through a Saturday night in the east village I've had an...interesting night.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Luvly KM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Last life in The Universe [2003] - 8/10

Very careful film which cleverly says more with less. The realm of the unsaid. Also had a hot babe in it.

very good

Luvly KM has received a thanks from: Kenny
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Flawless, not the best movie but it does have some funny parts that are pretty true

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8jYsmQ-dY[/youtube]
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby silent killer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:49 pm

about to watch the hobbit.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Rakim » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Moon

Rakim has received a thanks from: Sailors?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Deta » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Silmido
Based on true story.
Pretty deep to think how South Korean government turned its back for citizens who were willing to sacrifice themself for their country.
Very tragic story. Must see.

I saw devil
This is must see for everyone who enjoy asian movies.
Deta
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Sailors? » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Just finished watching Looper. It was shit.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KiBa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:55 am

I hate asking this of you, but could you please elaborate? I've been curious about it, so I need to know your standards, if you don't mind.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sailors? » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 am

Sure but it's hard without giving away too much of the story.

Firstly there are quite a few, well I wouldn't call them plot holes but even in the world you're given it doesn't seem to make much sense.

The pacing is an issue too. The first hour of the film drags a little bit in places and the last half an hour feels very rushed. In a film that lasts 119 minutes with a little more effort they should have sorted those issues.

Finally, (and there are more reasons but these are the main points), I felt hardly any emotion for any of the characters. There's a scene in this film that should hit you hard but it fails to make an impact, whether that's a personal thing or not well I don't know.

I would say give it a watch though Kiba if you are interested like I was. If only to discuss it further on here.

Sailors? has received a thanks from: Kenny
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. It was sort of flawed (the die hard fans are going to be pissed with so many changes), but incredibly enjoyable. Fantastic escapism, just like the LOTR trilogy. There's a good chunk from "The Unfinished Tales" in the movie, which was really cool of Peter Jackson to do.
The Necromancer is probably my pick as the best looking creature from the move though, totally sent chills down my spine, everyone else is going to talk about how much Gollum has been "improved" but to my eyes, he looked basically the same to me with a couple of subtle changes. I also just found out that Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) is not only just playing Smaug, but also The Necromancer, I am really excited to see what his performances will be like for both of those roles, given the big teases we got in this movie for the both of them.

Overall though, a great final movie for a disappointing year for movies. I do predict some who see it might decide to pick the film to pieces, but with it being the first in a trilogy (with a lot of extras taken from The Unfinished Tales & annotations from Tolkien's work) I am totally fine with it. There's so much lore and new stuff in the film for somebody like me, who only ever read The Hobbit! So damn excited for the sequels. If it keeps up this quality, it could very well be the best prequel I've ever seen (a rather easy feat, mind you).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sailors? » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Agree entirely with points Kiba and Spence made. Oh and hey Spence great to see ya.

Seems that most who saw the Hobbit have either not read the book or just don't like the 48fps which is fair enough but still nothing more than opinion.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:59 pm

It's funny because on one side you have the LOTR film fans bitching that it's too comical/songs feel out of place despite being straight from the book and on the other side you have the book fans bitching that it's got too many new changes
(Azan; leader of the Orcs being the main antagonist, The Necromancer stuff being WAY extended with stuff straight from Unfinished Tales, new battle scenes, Radagast the Forest Wizard being in it despite never appearing in the novel, other scenes that weren't in the book like Galadriel, Elrond & Saruman meeting with Gandalf etc).
To some extent, they're both right I guess, but being so anal about such a well made movie is secondary to me.

Poor Peter Jackson probably knew he was never going to please both, so settled for somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, the reception has been very mixed. Even with all of its faults, it was a hugely enjoyable movie, to me.

And thanks, nice to see you too.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Sailors?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Being a fan of the Tolkien Novels and The Lord of the RIngs films, I thought the Hobbit was pretty good. One thing people tend not to understand is that books -- as they are written -- make pretty poor films. Look at the first two Harry Potter movies for instance; they're pretty much a direct translation from book to film... and they suck :lol: . From what I understand, this will be the last attempt at making films (at least from Peter Jackson & company) in middle earth and they want to go all out with as much material as they can. I can't imagine a couple years down the line we'll get The Silmarillion part one or anything.

To me, what's always been so appealing about middle earth is the intense amount of detail, it's never really been just "an unexpected journey" but more like a history lesson on foot. It doesn't help, however, that they started with the more interesting, and much more exciting of the books first. Assuming you've seen the first trilogy (and at this point who hasn't?) it ultimately makes the hobbit seem a little anti-climactic. So it makes sense that they want to pad the hobbit and make it more of an epic (which it really isn't). I do like how they're trying to set up the Lord of the Rings films in the Hobbit and I hope it will make for a nice flow from movie to movie, changing what was once a 12 hour experience into a good old fashion, 24 hours. :lol:

Oh, and I saw it in 24-fps because 48 sucks dick.

Thief has received a thanks from: Sailors?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I saw it in 48 fps. Yeah, sometimes it was terrible but other times it made me feel like I was in the movie.

Was pretty disappointed with it. Thirteen dwarves and I barely got to know any of them. The action was kinda of cool but I didn't feel involved like in Fellowship. And I felt like they pandered to the fans too much instead of cut out what was unnecessary and just concentrate on making a good self-contained first half of the story (again like Fellowship did).

But it was fun, I liked the return of some of the actors. The Gollum/Bilbo Riddles scene was great. Not a total loss and looking forward to the second part.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby lavrentis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 am

Watched Okuribito with my Japanese class.

I am not sure why the sensei chose that but everyone was teary by the end lol
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic