What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Bambi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Ryudo wrote:
OL wrote: pretentious crap.

David Lynch

Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I actually don't really consider Lynch to be all that pretentious. I usually think of pretentiousness as feeling forced. And even though Lynch's work is weird, and is usually considered to be "art" film (which is, almost inherently, kind of a pretentious term to begin with), it rarely feels like he's necessarily forcing anything. It all seems pretty natural for him.
So I don't really think of him as considering his work in a high-and-mighty fashion, as most truly pretentious creators do.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Bambi wrote:
Ryudo wrote:
OL wrote: pretentious crap.

David Lynch

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

OL wrote: I actually don't really consider Lynch to be all that pretentious. I usually think of pretentiousness as feeling forced. And even though Lynch's work is weird, and is usually considered to be "art" film (which is, almost inherently, kind of a pretentious term to begin with), it rarely feels like he's necessarily forcing anything. It all seems pretty natural for him.
So I don't really think of him as considering his work in a high-and-mighty fashion, as most truly pretentious creators do.

I get that feeling from him. Tho Twin Peaks is cool. Still his films are largely this bunch of random shit crap passed as art. Like most modern art is pure bullshit. I will give him Twin Peaks and Elephant Man.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bambi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

OL wrote: I actually don't really consider Lynch to be all that pretentious. I usually think of pretentiousness as feeling forced. And even though Lynch's work is weird, and is usually considered to be "art" film (which is, almost inherently, kind of a pretentious term to begin with), it rarely feels like he's necessarily forcing anything. It all seems pretty natural for him.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Rakim wrote:
Kenny wrote: Before Sunrise.

Really boring conversational piece. Picture hanging out or eavesdropping on a couple who try really really hard to be interesting by ping-ponging the most inane, pseudo-philosophical conversations mixed in with random childhood memories for five minutes.

Then if you had a choice between sticking with these people for an hour and thirty minutes or putting your head through a meat grinder, which do you think you'll have more fun doing?

At least Julie Delpy is cute. I dare you to sit through the entirety of My Dinner With Andre.
Before Sunrise is a thrill ride in comparison.

I can't believe people actually like that picture.

Christ, I saw a clip from that movie and it does look alot worse than Before Sunrise.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxLIlLzIh2Q[/youtube]

I hate dialogue like this. It's so goddamn "in love" with itself that it doesn't care if it's making sense or trying to entertain its audience. It just wants to preach a point a view and prove why it's right. Whereas with guys like Woody Allen and Quentin Tarantino, they make observations and have far out discussions but they do it in a way where it's entertaining. And it always always ALWAYS goes somewhere.

Of course, i'm not going to fully agree with Cage. Sure he sucks his own dick and thinks his way of doing things is the best thing ever, but judging by his works alone he can at least entertain. Even with Indigo where it goes totally wayside, his narratives actually do go somewhere (whether or not that "somewhere" is good is another discussion entirely). Shit like this and Before Sunrise, they don't go anywhere. They just want to show off how awesome their topics are and their dialogue is without caring if it's entertaining.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Ryudo wrote:

I get that feeling from him. Tho Twin Peaks is cool. Still his films are largely this bunch of random shit crap passed as art. Like most modern art is pure bullshit. I will give him Twin Peaks and Elephant Man.

He's all but retired now anyway, so you won't have to put up with his "pretentiousness" any longer. ;-)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm

I read in an interview that he was just going to do online stuff now as he likes being able to shoot in digital, edit the stuff himself and just upload it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:34 am

Boondock Saints.

It's still an awesome movie. I don't get the detractors unless they're really just too busy visualizing writer/director Troy Duffy arrogantly stomping around, shouting at people.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Bambi
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 am

On the subject on Lynch.

What, does this freak have some kind of ... furniture and nice weekend fetish? OK, so maybe he's just a down-to-earth, mild-mannered old man who enjoys nice things.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18854_th ... z2LFDrsjFo

Bambi has received a thanks from: OL
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:59 am

Just re-watched Happy Console Gamer the movie after talking to Johnny Millennium on Facebook.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UUBJFtBkDA[/youtube]

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Bambi
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby OL » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:44 am

Kenny wrote: Boondock Saints.

It's still an awesome movie. I don't get the detractors unless they're really just too busy visualizing writer/director Troy Duffy arrogantly stomping around, shouting at people.

It's a good flick. Some flaws, but nothing all too bad. Don't know anything about the director, but my biggest problem with it comes from what I think is kind of a logic hole in the story.
Okay, so these two guys get the godly inspiration to clean up the city and start blowing away criminals... so why do they team themselves up with the long-haired bearded guy? Okay, so he's entertaining. Still doesn't excuse the fact that he's just as bad as all of the "scum" they set out to do away with. He's absolutely, without question, a scumbag criminal himself. So why don't they blow him away too?
I never understood that at all.

And even though it's an entertaining movie, I'm still kind of confused by why it's become such a "Hot Topic t-shirt" cult-classic. I mean, it was huge a few years back, and still retains a pretty sizable cult fanbase.
Where's the cult fanbase for something more deserving, like say... Way of the Gun?
Why haven't I seen Parker and Longbaugh tshirts floating around?
Just doesn't seem quite right.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 am

There are also other confusing aspects in the story I realized in recent viewings, like how the father didn't recognize his own sons initially. It's a great movie when it comes down to segments, it has alot of great scenes and performances. It doesn't always hold them together like Pulp Fiction does. Boondock Saints II lost its way though, and that's cause it was just a ripoff of the original with less entertaining scenes (I have no idea why they referenced other movies in that one, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, wtf?!)

With Rocco, I always took it as bias from the brothers. He was a good friend to them, people tend to see better qualities with people they known personally for years and ignore the bad ones. Even relatives sometimes can overlook terrible qualities in each other just cause they're related. I thought that was the deal with him, even though he was just as bad as the other criminals.

Anyway, I saw Silver Linings Playbook. Fucking amazing movie. Loved it. The beginning was kinda shitty but it rebounded in a big way and kept getting better all the way to the end. One of the best romantic movies I've seen since TiMER and The Notebook.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 am

Looper. Ok till the big arse plot hole ending.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:49 am

Anti-christ.

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH AUUUUUGHHH!!!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic