Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear series

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Yup, game looks amazing, now I know what people meant by saying "it's like MGS2 all over again". The rain, atmosphere, mystery going on in the trailer (I know who Paz and Chico are though, you have to play Peace Walker to find that out), fantastic. The villain looks incredibly creepy!

I'm with you on the atmosphere part, but not on the mystery part. After all these years of kojiming, I know his habbits, I know his style... all too well. It doesn’t excite me in the slightest, mainly because the MGS universe collapsed under its own bullshit long ago and now it's just a senseless collection of Hollywood- and anime-inspired cut-scenes. Definitely worth your bucks as a form of entertainment, but I'm unfortunate to have cared about the MGS saga too much in the past and now I can't treat any of this seriously.

But yeah, TEH FUCKING GRAPHICS. He said one could make a new Silent Hill game under FOX. Go on, Kojima - do something really cool for a change and revive Team Silent.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Yukupo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:44 pm

I know what you mean Dorian. Although I'm not too harsh about it, I'm not too big of a fan of how MGS4 ended up. But man this trailer looked amazing. It does start to excite me. I guess I'm a sucker for it despite wishing they'd do something else. :P
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Even I can't blame people for being excited about how it looks, but I always kept saying that you do not fuck with the Kojima team in the graphics department. They've got that one covered.

As a side note, MGR seems even more pointless now, especially that it looks like a NES game when compared to this.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:53 pm

^btw, Welcome back.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:56 pm

Kenny wrote:^btw, Welcome back.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Oh yeah, I didn't like MGS4's story either, it was dog shit. Peace Walker had some nice gameplay though, but really lacked on story content. Here's hoping third time lucky for Kojima, he is still a great game designer, even if his writing skills have really gone down.

Dorian wrote:
Kenny wrote:^btw, Welcome back.

:rotflmao:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 am

OMGZ Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeros looks amazazazing!!!110000000zeroz00000
:-o :-o :-o :-o
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:12 am

People thought MGS looked amazing visually then MGS2 was out of this world then MGS4 no way visuals can look like that. In 3-4 years it won't look so amazing to most. Some will complain like Elders Scrolls Oblivion looks too old. :P Truth be told I'm more impressed with Yakuza can pull off.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: OL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:20 am

The trailer seemed pretty cool but i'm not sure how it can be "open ended". But if they can make it work, then great.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:31 am

Bluecast wrote:People thought MGS looked amazing visually then MGS2 was out of this world then MGS4 no way visuals can look like that. In 3-4 years it won't look so amazing to most. Some will complain like Elders Scrolls Oblivion looks too old. :P Truth be told I'm more impressed with Yakuza can pull off.

Nah, as graphics go, this stuff is incredible. Yakuza 5 looks fantastic, but little things like stiff clothing and obvious textures on the faces make it nowhere near this. I see none of those problems in this so far (from what little we've seen).
I agree people will eventually act like it's nothing special though. They always do that. It's ridiculous, but it always makes me think of Back to the Future 2, when Marty tries showing off his skillz on the arcade machine in the diner.
"You mean you have to use your hands? It's like a baby's toy!"
Most people will always have that ridiculous sense of "it's not good enough" when it comes to things they consider "old" or "outdated".

Anyway, I like that the majority of the trailer was just a big way of showing off how much more expansive the game will be than previous titles were. One single, continuous camera shot from the prison camp, to the helipad, up into the air, down to a cliffside, and back up onto solid ground. Granted, it was all in a cinematic, but the implication is still obvious: this game is going to be really damn big for an MGS game.
Only thing I don't like is how anachronistic the technology is. It's, what... late-70's? Early 80's? And Big Boss has got a holographic handheld map display?
That's just too much, considering that in the original Metal Gear games (taking place in the 90s), Snake was restricted to a simple radio and standard supplies. With a setting in the past, you'd think it would be more interesting to take advantage of technology that would have been viable around that time, like how MGS3 did it.
Regardless, like Henry said, it does feel slightly like how it did when I first saw trailers for MGS2. Shock and awe at the graphical tech, but also a huge desire to see more of the game itself.
Looking forward to it.

OL has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Dorian, Yukupo
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 am

Just not 100% convinced this is on PS3. I mean when PS3 was showing off it's visuals it was all bullshots of CGI. Then again when Halo 2 was hyped people claimed all the footage was CGI. I would not be surprised however if this was PC & PS4.

Also I'm a person who is very odd. I get more impressed with Effects. Like the first time I played Darksiders I was amazed at the water effect trickling down the stone at Twilight Cathedral. If Manny were here he might ask about frame rate or just say this is all a bunch of fancy filters :P Who knows
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 am

I dunno, Kojima isn't usually the type to mock up fake graphics for his games. He tends to like showing off what will really be done when you get the game. It was unbelievable to see MGS2 for the first time running on a PS2, but it was real. Same for MGS3 and 4. This may have been PC-assisted in some way, but I don't think he's necessarily just bullshitting us with it. He likes to show off, and then prove it all with the final product.

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:03 am

Very true. I still have a question. Kojim stated he could not do MGR for technical reasons so the project had to be scrapped. Later turned over to PG. If Kojima can't pull off MGR how can he pull off this? Or is this a case of someone who can make a really good steak but sucks at making desert?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:06 am

Hide-chan dont play around. If its one thing we've learned about MGS all these years, its that Kojima Productions is always pushing the bar. In both graphics, gameplay and.. delayed releases! Oh wait thats every japanese high profile Playstation game. Zing.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 am

Bluecast wrote:Very true. I still have a question. Kojim stated he could not do MGR for technical reasons so the project had to be scrapped. Later turned over to PG. If Kojima can't pull off MGR how can he pull off this? Or is this a case of someone who can make a really good steak but sucks at making desert?

His "technical reasons" for MGR could have been a lot of things, not just graphical tech. Could have been gameplay mechanics. Maybe things just weren't working the way they'd been envisioned, so they eventually gave it to someone else to play with.
I was under the impression he was kind of hands-off about MGR though, like it was just the old team making it while he focused on other things? Could be wrong, I just thought he hadn't been spearheading that one.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming