Shenmue III Mod -Story/Concepts/Scene Ideas!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Mod -Story/Concepts/Scene Ideas!!

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:43 pm

Give me a break Dorian I love Persona but Shenmue is way, way more interesting and unconventional then any Persona game ever made.

Give me a break, mue 26. I love Shenmue but Persona 3's story is way, way more interesting and unconventional than Shenmue's story. Not to mention Persona 2 which is a masterpieces story-wise and its writer - Satomi Tadashi - puts Yu in shame as far as writing goes.

Please read my posts thoroughly instead of bullshitng about them.

You are taking a whole lot of effort to prove that Shenmue is not worse than Persona but this wasn't even said by me! You people are not reading what has been written - you just want to prove something that was in your head a priori. You want to prove that Shenmue is "the shit" in ever aspect and it is "the shit" but not in every fucking aspect.

It's story is simplistic and all this "arcane stuff" does not exist in the game itself. Shenmue did a wonderful job at presenting a 3D representation of Japan and China but its story doesn't go as deep as the programming of that world went. It never was intended as such.

Also, it's simply absurd to say that a game made by a Japanese team should be praised for having a distinctively Japanese traits (praising of black people for being black). Not even the fact that there's a Tai ji master is shocking since all of this stuff is shallow. Shenmue's story never goes deep into any of its themes. Everything is simple, in a Hong Kong martial arts film fashion. I find it sad for people to look over this fact, as if they were afraid to admit that they love something simple.
Last edited by Dorian on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Who gives a fuck?! If one likes shenmue better fine if another likes persona better fine. It's all subjective and very different games.
now if someone says angry birds is better then we rape them with a barbed wire buffalo dick.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Luvly KM
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Ryudo wrote:Who gives a fuck?! If one likes shenmue better fine if another likes persona better fine. It's all subjective and very different games.
now if someone says angry birds is better then we rape them with a barbed wire buffalo dick.

True but please take note that I didn't say that Persona 3 is better than Shenmue. I've said that Persona 3 has a way better story and it gives a better insight into Japanese culture than the fabled TEH ULTIMATE JAPANESE CULTURE 3D ENCYCLOPAEDIA aka SHAMOO.

Oh, mue 26... Not that I want to destroy your meticulously crafted outlook but... *GASP* You can pray at a Shinto shrine in Persona 3!

As for your Tai ji argument - Yu's research in China was focused on martial arts so it's only natural that he used that knowledge. Persona's 3 story goes a lot deeper in its themes than what Shenmue has to offer. I'm sorry if you can't see it.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Dorian wrote:
Give me a break Dorian I love Persona but Shenmue is way, way more interesting and unconventional then any Persona game ever made.

Give me a break, mue 26. I love Shenmue but Persona 3's story is way, way more interesting and unconventional than Shenmue's story. Not to mention Persona 2 which is a masterpieces story-wise and its writer - Satomi Tadashi - puts Yu in shame as far as writing goes.

Please read my posts thoroughly instead of bullshitng about them.

You are taking a whole lot of effort to prove that Shenmue is not worse than Persona but this wasn't even said by me! You people are not reading what has been written - you just want to prove something that was in your head a priori. You want to prove that Shenmue is "the shit" in ever aspect and it is "the shit" but not in every fucking aspect.

It's story is simplistic and all this "arcane stuff" does not exist in the game itself. Shenmue did a wonderful job at presenting a 3D representation of Japan and China but its story doesn't go as deep as the programming of that world went. It never was intended as such.

Also, it's simply absurd to say that a game made by a Japanese team should be praised for having a distinctively Japanese traits (praising of black people for being black). Not even the fact that there's a Tai ji master is shocking since all of this stuff is shallow. Shenmue's story never goes deep into any of its themes. Everything is simple, in a Hong Kong martial arts film fashion. I find it sad for people to look over this fact, as if they were afraid to admit that they love something simple.

Umm, what are you on about? I was not trying to prove that Shenmue is a better game than Persona, but I was pointing out that personally I found the cultural details and authenticity in Shenmue a lot more interesting and unconventional than in Personas which is why I found it a more interesting game, I did not mention Persona's story once. So read my posts more carefully before you accuse me of this that and the third.

Secondly I was is no way trying to defend every aspect of Shenmue, did you not read the part of my post where I said "Shenmue is filled with many cliche's" and when I said "the narrative isn't particularly intelligent by any means". I'm not trying to defend any aspect of it, I'm just pointing out the fact's of how the Shenmue team did a huge amount of research for the game and did pack alot more into the game than just the cliches that you mention, details which have never been included in any game since. You say the development team should not be praised for making a game with distinct Japanese traits, then what about SII that was full of chinese traits?? Hence the Tai ji master, and of course the game isn't going to go into depth on Tai ji philosophy that would be insane, but what was represented was a surprisgily accurate representation of something most of the general public had no idea about. Simplistic yes, but also a lot more than one would expect from a game of the time, it even went as far as to explain that Chen style is the most obvioulsy combat effective form of tai ji, that explaination again is in itself simplistic yet impressive that it was included.

Do you see what I'm getting at Dorian I'm not defending the simple story I'm just sayin that in 2002 there was no other forms of media available that were portraying these bits of chinese culture to me, hence why from Shenmue I always recalled there was a very combat effective form of Tai ji. It may not go in depth but the detail is amazing and the atmosphere of the game was unique as a result. It was well crafted in those respects.

Im not trying to insult Persona ok.
Last edited by mue 26 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:33 pm

:roll:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Secondly I was is no way trying to defend every aspect of Shenmue, did you not read the part of my post where I said "Shenmue is filled with many cliche's" and when I said "the narrative isn't particularly intelligent by any means".

That was a cheap way of defending Shenmue by saying that its flaws are overshadowed by the "greater good". In short, if you see something that's not fitting your outlook, you try to minimize it's meaning, to the point of it being "not that important". But my dear internet friend, it is important. It's the very thing this discussion started with.

You can love Shenmue for whatever reason that floats your boat. Hell, you can see Bishamonten in the leaf you are catching in Man Mo Temple's backyard or talk with Amida when praying in front of a shrine with SHAMOO discs in its centre for all I care. That's irrelevant to my interests. What's relevant to my interests are facts about Shenmue.

Shenmue has an incredibly detailed 3D world presenting to the player some great places from 1980s East Asia. Fact.

Shenmue is an incredibly emotional journey that teaches you some important basics about life. Fact.

Shemue's story - its semantics, it's themes etc - is plain and simple and even Persona 3, an anime lulzfest, has a much stronger storyline and gives a better factographical insight into Japanese culture. Fact.

Goodnight.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Luvly KM » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:55 pm

all i see are opinions
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Luvly KM wrote:all i see are opinions
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Nope. Those are not opinions. Those are facts that can be proven as easily as the fact that "Sun is the star at the center of the Solar System, is almost perfectly spherical and consists of hot plasma interwoven with magnetic fields".

Opinion is this - I think Fuku-san's a prick and I would kick his fucking ass if I were Ryo.

Two first points don't even need elucidation. The third one can be proven as easily as showing the script of Persona 3. The social links alone provide a far better, deeper text that gives deeper insight into the Japanese culture than Shenmue.
Last edited by Dorian on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Here is a fact. This topic has turned to utter shit with this LanDC type bickering over another game series compared to Shenmue. FUCK IT! It's pointless.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Ziming » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:20 pm

I think the main problem here is Dorjan has a problem with other people expressing their opinion when it's entirely different from his point of view. Really why does it bother you if others think differently about the story/concepts from your own? It's like your opinion is fact and to think otherwise means your retarded. You like to point out how they are so in the wrong and be condescending at the same time.

Gonna take a page out of Dorjan's playbook...

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:32 pm

I think the main problem here is Dorjan has a problem with other people expressing their opinion when it's entirely different from his point of view.

You just written that I'm a human being. Thank you.

As for those three points - those are facts. Nothing transcendental/subjective/whatever-philosophical-shit-you-can-come-up-with about those three points. It can even be measured with simple maths to show that Persona 3 has a bigger script with more info about the culture of Japan.

I think the main problem here is that some people have a problem with other people expressing sad truths that spoil their wonderlands.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:47 pm

This topic is useless with pictures.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Ziming » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Dorian wrote:
I think the main problem here is Dorjan has a problem with other people expressing their opinion when it's entirely different from his point of view.

You just written that I'm a human being. Thank you.

As for those three points - those are facts. Nothing transcendental/subjective/whatever-philosophical-shit-you-can-come-up-with about those three points. It can even be measured with simple maths to show that Persona 3 has a bigger script with more info about the culture of Japan.

I think the main problem here is that some people have a problem with other people expressing sad truths that spoil their wonderlands.

Yes a human being with a superiority complex when it comes to your opinion....I mean facts. It's either this or your just trolling. lol
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Ziming wrote:Yes a human being with a superiority complex when it comes to your opinion....I mean facts. It's either this or your just trolling. lol

I have inferiority complex and it's related to other things so your analysis is as failed as it gets.

Those three points are facts but I didn't expect you guys to accept that. Such truth hurts if you're a delusional Shenmue fanatic. But as long as you guys don't eat children, I guess it's all good.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III