Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:25 pm

OL wrote: Ah, you know, I'd forgotten about the Snake Flower Triad thing. Been a while since I played either game, so yeah, I could just be remembering it wrong.
But I do still hold that the focus of Y3 compared to earlier games leans more toward Kazuma and the different aspects of his character, rather than the big, explosive events going on. I remember that feeling very clearly. The events are still there of course, but they aren't quite as much the focus as is Kazuma's reactions to everything, the way he handles his responsibilities, relationships, etc. The change in writer between Y2 and Y3 was a major contributor to that, of course.
That focus probably contributed a lot to whatever perception of "size" I had about the game.

We pretty much agree, but call it differently. The narrative of Y3 is just like you said - more personal. At the same time, though, the story itself is on an even bigger scale than in Y2. It's a strange mixture, I must say, but I personally liked it a lot. The dichotomy here is quite fresh, although I have to admit it's cool only during the first playthrough. On the subsequent ones, the slow Okinawa parts become a choir because you just can't get in synch with that kind of narrative after knowing the whole story.

Dorian has received a thanks from: OL
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby ys » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:56 pm

I really liked that feeling of Yakuza 3. More personal. In a way it was closer to what I felt when playing Shenmue. Not saying that it's the same but showing Kazuma interacting with the kids and so on felt a bit like how emotions and action are blended in Shenmue. A more thoughtful aspect combined with fighting.

I didn't know that there was a new writer but it could explain that slight change. Yakuza 4 also had a bit more of that than the first two I think.

Dorian wrote:I'm loving the shit out of Akiyama and Hana duet at Karaokekan. I'd buy their album. Seriously.

Haha yes. They're a great pair.

ys has received 2 thanks from: Dorian, OL
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah, a lot of people aren't so fond of the Okinawa parts of Y3 (and I don't necessarily blame them, since it doesn't exactly present the same tone that one usually goes into a Yakuza game for), but I absolutely loved them. One of the most distinguishing factors in Y3, in my eyes. There's fighting present, but that's not what I think of when I remember those parts. I think of casually strolling around town, stopping into a restaurant for lunch and a drink, checking out the details of the orphanage, helping the kids out with their various troubles, etc. It generally just feels much more homey and pleasant than the rest of the series, as you said, a bit like the original Shenmue.
It's kind of like how a lot of people didn't like the early parts in Kingdom Hearts 2, saying they were too slow and too mundane. But that was actually my favorite part in that game, specifically because it was slower and more laid-back. Same deal for Yakuza 3. It's a part of the game that you can just hang out in.
I love that.

OL has received a thanks from: Dorian
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:10 pm

The problem i had with walking around town is every 10 steps someone runs at you to start a fight.

And yeah the stuff with the kids felt like such a chore which is why im not sure if i will enjoy that more ive ive completed the first 2?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 pm

It depends, I guess. Having played the first two when I played Y3, it was certainly a really cool dynamic to see Kazuma acting as a father figure to this motley little group of kids. It probably made me care more than I would have otherwise, if Y3 were my first game in the series or something.
Seeing him get some level of peace after the first two games (despite the punks you constantly have to beat up :P ) was different and interesting to me, and dealing with the kids never came off as a chore in my eyes.
I think it's one of those cases where you just have to approach it almost as a point-and-click adventure game in a way, not expecting explosive action, but rather character development and a more laid-back atmosphere.
It might just not be for some people, and that's perfectly understandable.

OL has received a thanks from: Dorian
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:56 pm

OL wrote: It depends, I guess. Having played the first two when I played Y3, it was certainly a really cool dynamic to see Kazuma acting as a father figure to this motley little group of kids. It probably made me care more than I would have otherwise, if Y3 were my first game in the series or something.

That’s the thing! Most people DID NOT play Y1-2 before Y3 and they didn't understand the transformation of both the narrative and the main character. They weren't able to appreciate it because they weren't 'friends' with Kazuma, to put it plainly. This is one of the reasons why Y3 got so much bad press, and I don't just mean the 'official' press, but also the various comments over the net.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 pm

After Xenoblade, and The Last Story after that, I think I will be ready to play Yakuza 3. Its like... I NEED to play it. Idk just been in a yakuza mood lately, and want something else besides RPGs (even though some consider Yakuza an RPG, I dont particularly think it is). Y1 and Y2 just left a lasting impression and knowing that there are 2 more games really makes me anxious to see whats next. I just love the mob/mafia/gangster premise, especially seeing it in the japanese setting. I mean I have a collection of mario puzo books for christs sake, these games are right up my alley. 8)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: The problem i had with walking around town is every 10 steps someone runs at you to start a fight.

THANK YOU!!!

Can i just state for the record that this is why i stopped playing the Yakuza franchise!! It was annoying to begin with, but see when your at a serious/pivotal point in the story and you have to get from one location to another to continue it and you get this shite on every every street after some random NCP runs at you....... it was like going though a Shenmue inspired 70 man battle encounter whilst trying to get the next entry in the notebook. Absolutely unnecessary and ruins the games IMO :???:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:38 pm

In TLS it's funny when you run into people. At first they call you out and stuff then later in the game for reasons I can't say why you smack into them and the bow to you in respect despite you're being an ass. Also funny as hell to shoot them with banana peels.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Peter wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: The problem i had with walking around town is every 10 steps someone runs at you to start a fight.

THANK YOU!!!

Can i just state for the record that this is why i stopped playing the Yakuza franchise!! It was annoying to begin with, but see when your at a serious/pivotal point in the story and you have to get from one location to another to continue it and you get this shite on every every street after some random NCP runs at you....... it was like going though a Shenmue inspired 70 man battle encounter whilst trying to get the next entry in the notebook. Absolutely unnecessary and ruins the games IMO :???:

well they can be easily avoided in Yakuza 3 and 4 as they are always positioned in the same places, the taxis also help
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Peter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 pm

But that open world style of control is wrong. Those types of fights should be written into the story, like when Akio Enoki and Tetsuya Nagashima initiate their fights with Ryo. Fair enough the fights themselves were boring as fuck in Shenmue, but that's where Yakuza has let itself down on the opposite end of the spectrum. I shouldn't have to be made to get into a taxi to avoid these, or run away like a coward to avoid them. I should be allowed to walk along the streets (not run) and think about "ooohhh whats gonna happen when i get there". Its called savouring the moment. Thats what F.R.E.E. truely is, and what Suzuki really did nail in Shenmue. The rest have all been playing catchup with no success. In fact, Sleeping Dogs is the nearest i have come to it, regarding a F.R.E.E. game (and i am still at the beginning of that story).

And also, to avoid what?? A stupid waste of my time spending 3 minutes button bashing?? I mean thats all it really is, it isnt VF or anything. Its just a few punches of the X button, then run to grab the nearest weapon. All a meaningless act, to a meaningless NCP within the game. People in the industry criticise Shenmue for the bandwagon excuses in that its "boring". Well where the hell are the criticisms for a story based game where the arcade style of fighting is absolutely brutal. :???:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:50 pm

well I guess that's a different story, you don't like the RPG elements of the game which is understandable, these fights are basically for grinding and amassing money/items
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Peter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 pm

If its in there for RPG only, then nope. I am not a "Raging Gain of Points/Prizes" player. Absolutely not. RPGs are no different to online shooters like MW in my opinion. Quite simply, doing the same thing over and over again to gain enough of something to progress.

But thats another coversation for a different time
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Peter wrote: If its in there for RPG only, then nope. I am not a "Raging Gain of Points/Prizes" player. Absolutely not. RPGs are no different to online shooters like MW in my opinion. Quite simply, doing the same thing over and over again to gain enough of something to progress.

But thats another coversation for a different time

An RPG is life. Life repeats itself and everything in it and you learn from it and improve skills and will be more prepared for bigger challenges. Repetitive is every game. Repetitive isn't bad it's how they repeat themselves that determines good or bad.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: OL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:37 am

Peter wrote:

THANK YOU!!!

Using Tattered Scarf and Silent Shoes can reduce the encounters to almost zero. Plus, it's extremely easy to avoid most of them because in most cases you can see the opponent from a fairly long distance. This is a really bad reason to waste such a marvellous franchise.

And also, to avoid what?? A stupid waste of my time spending 3 minutes button bashing??

I'm sorry, Peter, but it seems you simply don't like video games per se. You know... that's not 'mindless button bashing'. It's called gameplay. You can argue that every game is 'mindless button mashing'. It seems you just enjoy seeing how the stories unfold, listening to OSTs and looking at the game's art. That's even more evident when you said that in Shenmue "[Akio Enoki and Tetsuya Nagashima] fights themselves were boring as fuck". Every fight in Shenmue was extremely exciting for me and other gamers that I know of.

Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming