Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:22 pm

I didn't enjoy the second chapter at all but around halfway through the third one the game picks up again. I'm on the final chapter now but so far I think the ex baseball players chapter was the best one. I'd suggest doing what I did with Saejima and Haruka's parts and just skip any of the mini games as you can get through the main game quite quick when you go from point A to B.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Monkei » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:12 am

Out of the three games I've played now (Yakuza 3, 4 and 5) I still like Yakuza 3 the best I think. Followed by 5, then 4. But the latter two are pretty much on the same level actually.

Playing through 5 was kind of a struggle for me. It took me more than a month, even though I ended up somewhere below 35 hours of playtime. I played more than 110 hours of MGSV in a similar timespan (during my semester break). I wasn't playing any other game at the time, it was just that Yakuza 5 wasn't really a game that made me want to spend a whole weekend of nonstop gaming with it. Mainly the endlessly dragging dialogues made many parts of it a chore for me. I had to force myself through Saejima, Haruka, and even Akiyama couldn't really get me excited again. I really liked the Shinada part though, and the final part was alright, too, so it became more enjoyable towards the end.
I also had some real life issues going on that kept my mind off gaming for a while, so it wasn't all Yakuza 5's fault. But it was kind of a bad mixture.

I guess I'm just not as in love with Yakuza as most of you guys, but I still feel drawn to it. Calling it a love/hate relationship might be a little extreme, but I think it actually is something like that for me. I'll definitely play the next installment somewhere down the road, if only to see its crazyness (and dullness :p) in current generation glory. And to hear Kiryu's lovely voice again. There is no way you can not respect a dude with a voice like that.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Amon keeps on kicking my ass.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:59 pm

Just came across this. Quality is balls, but it shows a couple interesting things.

phpBB [video]

Check out around 9:44... completely seamless transition from the streets to the indoor environments. Looks fantastic. The sense of immersion in this one is going to be through the roof.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Quality is a little bit better but still not crystal clear.

phpBB [video]

I said before that the main thing that needed work was the open world and I'm glad that they obviously listened too me and made all this based on my post a couple of weeks back.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: myshtuff, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:48 pm

You should have spoken up sooner, Yakuza 5 could have been even better.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:47 am

Hey guys,

So despite being a huge shenmue fan, I really really got a chance to play Yakuza (as I owned an xbox original, xbox 360 and now an xbone).

I've gone quite far in the 1st game a long time ago via emulator but I didn't enjoy it that much and the combat was really repetitive. Nowhere near the immersion/brilliance of shenmue imo. I played a tiny bit of the 3rd game at a friends house ages ago and thought that it was much better.

Now that I have a ps3 (given to me) a few months ago (and access to one a couple of years) I've been playing the exclusives that seemed interesting, completing the last of us, uncharted 1 and 2, heavy rain, beyond.

After a #huberhype video, I decided to just get straight into the 3rd game and watch the digests. So I bought it and even though the beginning was kinda slow-ish, I'm enjoying it much more than the first game. It has a lot of charm to it. The fighting is much much better than the first game as well.

Definitely sensed a more 'shenmue' vibe, especially from the sunshine orphanage drama and spending time with kids.

It's a quieter game in comparison to shenmue, and there is A LOT of text, but I've gotten comfy with it. This game still looks really impressive today. Finally, a little late to this party but I'm glad I got to play one of the spiritual successors to shenmue after all these years/console generations... :)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:02 pm

phpBB [video]

Fight inside Poppo Mart. This is just crazy. :lol: I simply cannot wait for this game.
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby streetwaves » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Shin Pan Tzee wrote:
phpBB [video]

Fight inside Poppo Mart. This is just crazy. :lol: I simply cannot wait for this game.

Definitely not waiting for the English version! Looks awesome.
streetwaves
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Giorgio » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:05 pm

For some reason, it's the first time a Yakuza entry in the series has appealed to me, and that is with Yakuza 6. I find it the most aesthetically appealing entry so far, especially with the lack of loading screens, the seamless in-game cinematics, the fully voiced dialogs, and what-it-seems the Shenmue-like interiors. However, I don't like how the face of the badass protagonist has changed from the previous entries. Also, another plus is that the ludicrous (in my personal aesthetic judgement) auras around the controllable avatar have been reduced. The "just touch the table and it breaks" element was laughable, though, but in a cheesy way.

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 am

From Kiwami:

Ash has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Wtf... Well all knew Majima was a little bit off but to these lengths? Wow... I had no idea he as so partial to his "Kiriyu-chan" Makes sense why he calls him that now though lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Man I wasn't planning on buying a ps4 ever, but seeing these clips makes me want to. I played all of the games up til 4 and still miss playing the latest ones.

Also, I just played the demo for Project X Zone 2 and was delighted to see Majima and Kazuma in the game.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jesse » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:16 pm

I enjoyed the story overall though there was times like the hunting section and a couple other instances that felt like plotting. Still was more than worth the wait looking forward to Zero! I wonder what happens in 6? Also during the dock and harbour sections did anyone else get a dejavu of Shenmue?
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Monkei » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:24 am

Jesse wrote: I enjoyed the story overall though there was times like the hunting section and a couple other instances that felt like plotting. Still was more than worth the wait looking forward to Zero! I wonder what happens in 6? Also during the dock and harbour sections did anyone else get a dejavu of Shenmue?

Haha, totally. Shinada's clothes, the warehouse, the forklift attack and everything. One of the goons was actually called Fukuhara, which made kicking his face in that much more fun (like I wrote a couple posts or pages back).
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming