Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:33 pm

As a shenmue fan, these games look kinda interesting but i wish they weren't so wacky and weird, i feel alot of culture shock when looking at these games, something that never happened to me with Shenmue
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kintor » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 pm

GYO6161 wrote: As a shenmue fan, these games look kinda interesting but i wish they weren't so wacky and weird, i feel alot of culture shock when looking at these games, something that never happened to me with Shenmue

I understand where you're coming from in regards to the Yakuza games.

In many ways Shenmue has always strived to be a grounded franchise, even with all the martial arts and hints of magic included along the way. Shenmue is as much about the daily life of Ryo Hazuki as it is about finding his father's killer. This attention to detail, the measured if often sombre tone, is what makes Shenmue unique and truly remarkable.

In contrast Yakuza knows it's an over-the-top franchise and revels in that fact. Beat-up random street thugs with whatever objects are nearby. Take part in bizarre and often hilarious side missions that reveals more about the seedy underbelly of Kamurocho. Honestly, the weirdness of the Yakuza games is all part of the charm; the whole world operates under video game logic, when seemingly mundane events can suddenly veers into an arcades style minigame.

My advice to you, if you want to start playing the Yakuza games, is to actively seek out the weirdness that Yakuza has to offer. This is not a realistic depiction of Japan; this is a hyper-real depiction of Japan! The intensity of everything has been ratcheted up to eleven. For Kazuma Kiryu even the act of serving ramen noodles to hungry customers becomes an epic test of skill and willpower. So, sit back and enjoy the craziness, you're in for one heck of a ride.

Kintor has received 2 thanks from: GYO6161, ys
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:09 am

Really, the best thing to do is just forget about the Shenmue comparisons; they completely lose steam a couple hours into any of them. Yeah, maybe you'll get a glimmer of Shenmue-esque-ness here and there (every time you see a dock area in particular), but the two series are completely different otherwise. It's in Japan, there's a lot of detail, and you beat people up. That's pretty much the extent of the similarities. It's better to just accept it as its own thing, rather than approaching it "as a Shenmue fan."

Anyway, zoomed through Haruka's part in Y5 inadvertently... I actually kind of wanted to see the rest of the Princess League stuff, just for some level of completion I suppose, but I guess I progressed in the story without realizing anything else had even become available.
Oops.
No loss though, because as soon as I saw Akiyama, my fist shot into the air and shook with uncontrolled happiness as I shouted a glorious "HaHAAA!" Felt great stepping back into his shoes, not to mention finally getting past the less-than-appealing parts of Yakuza 5 as a whole.

OL has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, GYO6161
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Kintor wrote:In many ways Shenmue has always strived to be a grounded franchise, even with all the martial arts and hints of magic included along the way. Shenmue is as much about the daily life of Ryo Hazuki as it is about finding his father's killer. This attention to detail, the measured if often sombre tone, is what makes Shenmue unique and truly remarkable.

In contrast Yakuza knows it's an over-the-top franchise and revels in that fact. Beat-up random street thugs with whatever objects are nearby. Take part in bizarre and often hilarious side missions that reveals more about the seedy underbelly of Kamurocho. Honestly, the weirdness of the Yakuza games is all part of the charm; the whole world operates under video game logic, when seemingly mundane events can suddenly veers into an arcades style minigame.

My advice to you, if you want to start playing the Yakuza games, is to actively seek out the weirdness that Yakuza has to offer. This is not a realistic depiction of Japan; this is a hyper-real depiction of Japan! The intensity of everything has been ratcheted up to eleven. For Kazuma Kiryu even the act of serving ramen noodles to hungry customers becomes an epic test of skill and willpower. So, sit back and enjoy the craziness, you're in for one heck of a ride.

That's a good description. Although the Yakuza games do have their serious moments also. And they also have a lot of attention to detail actually. It's just that they sometimes switch from video game-like parts to serious/realistic ones. Something which Shenmue doesn't do as often.
I personally like over-the-top parts like the Revelations. It's not something that you would often see in serious Western games and it provides memorable lighter moments in these huge games.

Speaking of Yakuza and realism got me thinking of this article where they got yakuza to play Yakuza 3 :
http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

Last edited by ys on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ys has received 4 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, FlagshipFighter, GYO6161, Jesse
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Very Cool little article, and wow even the real yakuza agree that the cuts made to the american version of Y3 drove the game into the ground, couldnt agree more. Was interesting to hear the perspective from the real deal themselves. The bits about whats realistic and what wasnt and how Kiryu is the "old school" type of Yakuza was good to hear. Seems this series is just a tad over the top from reality but apparently some parts hit the nail on the head as well, its just good to hear confirmation from actual yakuza members as to how accurate it actually is.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: GYO6161, Jesse
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Yeah, I also found it interesting when I read it back then. It's cool that the areas in the game manage to feel like the real ones for example. I also liked the comments about the orphanage, the way people talk and not using guns . This made me appreciate Yakuza's attention to detail a bit more actually.

ys has received a thanks from: Jesse
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:01 am

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: Jesse, OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Already knew it was coming, and yet seeing a legitimate English trailer for it still feels exciting as hell.

Kind of lagging a bit in Y5 at the moment; still playing as Akiyama/Haruka, only making marginal progress here and there. Honestly, I'm not feeling quite as invested in the story for this particular game as I have for earlier entries. It's still fun, but the gang politics have pretty much dried up for most of it; now it's all about investigating a supposed suicide and all that. And even earlier on, when Kazuma's story actually was involving gang bosses and such, it felt a little... fluffy.
Still looking forward to the baseball player, just because he's someone completely new and fresh, so I'm still trudging along. I always like seeing new characters; Yakuza 4 was a constant breath of fresh air because of that.

But yeah, that's a lot of the reason I'm psyched for Yakuza 0 now; the actual gang politics ought to be in full swing. Not to mention the time period ought to lend it some serious mood and atmosphere.

OL has received a thanks from: Jesse
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:17 pm

All the responses here made me try it out!

I just beated the First one cuz my friend had it and he let me have it, really loved it, sadly it seems like Yakuza 2 is expensive as hell... :(
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:56 pm

Nice Y0 trailer, at least I know that game I can jump right into with out even needing to play 5. Y0 is a cool little game considering it takes you back many years in the lives of Kazuma and Majima, it could be one of the best yet if its done right, those 2 in thier hey day? I think we can look forward to a very awesome game in this one, thats what my gut is telling me.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:02 am

phpBB [video]

Some Yakuza Zero hype!

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Jesse
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:41 am

Too bad SEGA is so slow with localizing these. Zero in early 2017, meaning Kiwami in 2018 at the very earliest? And 6 in 2019? Possibly both even later?

Monkei has received a thanks from: Jesse
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:52 pm

OL wrote: Already knew it was coming, and yet seeing a legitimate English trailer for it still feels exciting as hell.

Kind of lagging a bit in Y5 at the moment; still playing as Akiyama/Haruka, only making marginal progress here and there. Honestly, I'm not feeling quite as invested in the story for this particular game as I have for earlier entries. It's still fun, but the gang politics have pretty much dried up for most of it; now it's all about investigating a supposed suicide and all that. And even earlier on, when Kazuma's story actually was involving gang bosses and such, it felt a little... fluffy.
Still looking forward to the baseball player, just because he's someone completely new and fresh, so I'm still trudging along. I always like seeing new characters; Yakuza 4 was a constant breath of fresh air because of that.

But yeah, that's a lot of the reason I'm psyched for Yakuza 0 now; the actual gang politics ought to be in full swing. Not to mention the time period ought to lend it some serious mood and atmosphere.

I agree with this. I've said in a previous post on here that I felt some parts were definitely put in for padding reasons. Such as the hunting and much of akiyama. Haruka was a nice change of pace not constantly getting bombarded by street goons was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed the story overall very much. I got to tatsuos chapter and took like a 2 or 3 week break to recharge in January. It definitely is overwhelming but in a good way with all the side activities and what not. I finally beat it on January 26th with 43 hours and 34 minutes clocked in. My completion rate is only 21.72% though I felt like I've done everything lol. Looking forward to Zero in 2017. I would rather them skip kiwami and focus on putting six out in 2018.

On a side note does anyone know how 5 has done in the west in terms of sales wise?
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby south carmain » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:02 pm

It took me 120 hours to finish 5. They went too far though making you get 100% completion to get the platinum trophy when 100% completion means doing loads of tedious useless stuff like eat every dish, do every move, collect every item etc.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:33 pm

Aww man are they not releasing Yakuza 0 for ps3 as well in the west... :-( i suppose I'm in the minority here, and i still have 4 and 5 to go through! XD

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming