Ys Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Ys Series

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:04 pm

I know there is a couple big ys fans in the forums and we already know who one of them is but curious to see how many there is.

I have yet to play any as of yet.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Bluecast on Fri May 31, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: ys series

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Nothing, nope nope nuttin not gonna say anything nope *this is killing me*
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Well you should fucking play them already.
The great thing about Ys is that even though the games generally have really good stories, they never get in the way of the real point of the games; that is, killing monsters to a rad synth-rock soundtrack. The games are really old-school in the simplicity with which they're designed, and it's always a breath of fresh air compared to the generally overly-complicated RPGs these days (though I still like those too). Plus, it has fucking excellent boss battles. Constructing great boss battles is like a lost art these days, but Falcom are still masters of it.
And I don't know what it is about it that I like so much, but something about its medieval fantasy setting really appeals to me. Normally medieval fantasy is kind of a turn off for me (mostly when it's very LOTR-ish in style), but I absolutely love it in Ys.

Having finally gotten back into the series more recently, it's become sort of like my new Zelda (sort of like how you view Okami, Ryudo). I still love Zelda, of course, but Ys just feels kind of... cooler.
Or something.
That Xseed/Falcom deal still ranks as probably the best news I've heard all year. Even though I haven't gotten to playing it yet, I'm so glad I finally have Ys Seven, and I'm even more glad that we'll be getting Oath in Felghana in a couple months. And getting Ys Books I & II for PSP a few months after that is like getting a cherry on top. It'll be great to finally play a better version of them (since I've only gotten to play the Master System and DS versions thus far).
Here's hoping Falcom find it in their hearts to make PSP remakes of Ys 4, Ys 5, and Ys Origins (especially Origins), and Xseed bring them over.
I will literally jizz my pants on the spot.

EDIT: Oh, and I just preordered the Oath in Felghana Limited Edition. Fucking sweet.

EDIT 2: And I just ordered the Ys anime, finally.
You fucker, Ryudo. Making me think about Ys all suddenly, and making me get all dorky about it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Those bastards keep hinting at it.

Y'know buy a PSP, go now, whore youself, rob a baby, get a contract on a rabbi then whack him for the gay russian orthodox mafia if you need to just go out there and play Ys1-3 on psp, buy the ps2 version of 6 then play 7.

You're sperm will thank you by rapidly exiting your body.
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro Jr. on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Not too long ago, I actually did play through 1&2 on DS, 3 on Genesis, and 6 on PS2, all consecutively one after the other.
It was glorious.
I was going to write a review of all of them together, but I was having trouble expressing how much I fucking loved all of it, so I scrapped it (since it was just sounding fanboyish and biased).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 pm

I have rent this week but next paycheck I have ys III for SNES on my wish list.
It's really cheap and can do next week most likely. Is it ok to start with that game?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Even 5 which people consider the black sheep is pretty fucking awesome, thats perhaps the strongest series of ARPGs out there. Again I highly recommend the Legend of Heroes series, its not as good as Ys overall, but LoH 6 is massively impressive. It takes all the Ys goodness and puts it into a turn based RPG with a huge cast, tons of juicy well written dialogue and lots of depth and customization.

the Ys series is odd in that you could realistically jump in at any point, but that one is pretty different as its a platformer/RPG in the same vein as say Castlevania. Oath of Felghana is the same game but it'll inevitably have a better translation and overall is a better entry into the series since its an actuion RPG proper. Ys 3 can be a bit hard to play since it has a bit of lag and stiffness to it and is harder yet to understand because it got such a shoddy translation.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 am

^^Yeah, I almost think Ys 3 in its original incarnation is better played once someone already has love for the series. It takes some getting used to, and gaining the patience for that requires some genuine interest in getting far in the game. Though it does have probably my favorite soundtrack in the series (SNES version oddly has the worst version, though; it just doesn't sound right on that sound chip).
And Oath in Felghana is considered, by just about anyone who's ever played Ys 3, to be one of the greatest fucking remakes ever made. It's the same basic story and progression of levels, but vastly fleshed out, lengthened, and converted back into the classic top-down Ys gameplay. I'm fucking excited to get to play it.

Ryudo, I think you should get Ys 3 for SNES if you can get it for cheap (though the Genesis version would be much better), but if you don't like it all that much, don't let that ruin your outlook on the series. Much as I love Ys 3, it's very different from the rest of the series, so it's not the best game to judge it on.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:34 am

Im oblivious to the Ys series. I had never played it, seen it, or even heard of it until I started seeing OL post about it. Not sure if It was released over here scince I have never seen it in a store. But reading over this topic has really peaked my interest. It sounds as if there is a Ys game for nearly every bloody console. So I'm thinking I should pick up a Ys game scince it sounds like a game that I would really enjoy. What version of Ys do you guys reccomend for an introduction to the series? and for which console?
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Oppy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:57 am

Too late, just ordered 1 and 2 on the ds, from an australian seller, for a real good price.
Hope i dont get sidetracked, scince I am currently sodomizing the fuck out of Infinite Space (and it does feel REALLY good).
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 am

lol Well you've got 1 and 2 and until the PSP version comes out thats the definitive official English version. Its also a pretty good place to start, the bump system may not be something you're used to at first, but truthfully that a very easy version of a pretty easy game. The only difficult thin is the puzzles, so you're good for a while.

In terms of Ys games released in English: 1 and 2 got released on the TurboCD, that version is on the American Wii Virtual console, then theres the DS version of 1 and 2, a PSP version which is widly considered the definitive version hitting I think January of next year. 3 came out for fucking everything but the Genesis version>SNES version, but Oath of Felghana, which comes out next month, is better then both, its like REbirth to Resident Evil. 4 and 5 didn't do so hot and aren't looked upon well, they're great games but you'll be playing those with a translation sheet (I don't think one even exists for 5 now that I think about it) 6 is Ark of Napishtim. Konami was good to us as they gave us a pretty good version of it on PS2 with Japanese voice overs and pretty much all the content from the PC version BUT none of that is in the PAL version. Origins is a great game, as its name implies it explains the origins of Ys, right now PC only but theres a whole lot of rumblings about it going to PSP like Oath of Felghana did, hopefully that means we get a piece of it thanks of Xseed.

Finally 7 is the fuckin shit, thats all nothing more needed, its 30$ here in America, buy it.

Theres a Ys DS games called Strategy but us Ys fans call it Ys Tragedy, not worth owning unless you're hardcore about collecting.

I told you the pie was delicious!
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Hmm DS 1&2 looks like the better choice for me then.
If I save up a little I may be able to get than instead of ysIII ,My DS has not had a new game since Tokyo Beat Down in January.
My SNES has been fed a few times this year.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 pm

I wonder what it goes for these days
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:48 pm

I just searched YS on ebay and saw YS 1 and 2 on there for $15 aud, Buy it now.
Saw Ys III on snes for $28 Buy it now or best offer for the US release.
BTW, what makes the Mega Drive version so supperior?
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Oppy wrote:BTW, what makes the Mega Drive version so supperior?

I like the Megadrive/Genesis version better because the backgrounds are a little more detailed, the music quality is far better (the SNES music, despite being the same orchestrations, sound a little more... muffled, I think. Just doesn't sound as good with the SNES sound chip; Here's a sample of the SNES music compared to the Genesis music, so you can see for youself), and the story scenes are told a little differently in each one, and I just think the Genesis's "still picture and scrolling text" way works and looks a lot better. The art style is nicer in them.
Also, the translation is better in the Genesis one. The dialogue in the SNES version just sounds really awkward most of the time.

It's the same game overall, but it's the details like this that set them apart.

Oh, and here you go Ryudo. Likely seen it already, but still:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFrVdoq3WY[/youtube]
OL
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming