the 90's rocked

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: the 90's rocked

Postby Spokane » Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Now I have the All That theme stuck in my head.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Kenny » Tue May 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Dammit, so do I now!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Wed May 23, 2012 7:19 am

Ryudo wrote:Image

Wow the dude musta not learnt anything from that lesson, let alone remember what lesson that was :lol:
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spokane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 am

I have been on a bit of a kick on watching comedians and Johnny Carson on Youtube, and one of those guests he had was Howie Mandel which then I watched several of his comedy routines and peaked interest in his career which lead me to this gem that brought memories flooding back to me and I was transformed back into a small child almost instantly.

He did the voice for Bobby in Bobby's World and Bobby's dad, he uses the voice as part of his act too. But the theme song is what really kicks ass, composed by none other than John Tesh.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b0kXQ4-bs[/youtube]

Spokane has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:51 am

God I loved that show
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bambi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Tiger Handhelds.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Had to share some turtles goodness :)

Anyone remember how amazing this was? I distinctly remember it. it was like chex with marshmallows, hasnt been anything like it since. And I just want to say thats one of the coolest cereal boxes ever made.

http://www.thesewerden.com/2011/05/issu ... art-1.html

Ironically a couple of the things listed on that page are still in my cabinets right now, I still have one of the TMNT cereal bowls and the white cup (which I still use from time to time for nostalgia's sake), and also the lap tray thing I had as well. There really wasnt much the turtles didnt get put on, I remember seeing them on frozen chicken pot pie boxes back then even. I wouldnt mind having another bowl of that cereal, I know that.

The "No tropical oils" on the box got me curious, that's something we didn't have here in the UK so I looked it up and found this.

"Tropical oils" refers to oils made from palm, palm kernel and coconut oils. In the 1980s, the American soybean industry was worried that foreign tropical oils would replace their oils as the number one fat, and take money from the American farmer.

A public relations firm working for the American soybean industry devised a campaign that would help to convince consumers that tropical oils were unhealthful. Foods made with soybean oil were labelled "contains no tropical oils." Later the U.S. Federal Trade Commission made that label illegal because there was an implied health claim that tropical oils are harmful and there is no evidence to back it up. the total amount of tropical oils in the U.S. diet was about two percent, so anything that caused consumers to avoid them would have a negligible effect on cholesterol. The whole issue was a trade war and not about health effects.

Tropical oils are used in foods for functional reasons. They are excellent for shortening because they don't get rancid easily, they produce flaky pastry and good color on fried foods, and they don't give a greasy feel to crackers. It is difficult to substitute most other vegetable oils for the tropical ones because their polyunsaturated fats have a short shelf life. To prolong the shelf life, manufacturers convert soybean oil in your food to partially hydrogenated oils which are known to be harmful to your health (increasing risk for a heart attacks and certain cancers).

The countries with the highest palm oil intakes in the world are Costa Rica and Malaysia. Their heart disease rates and serum cholesterol levels are much lower than in western nations. This never was a real health issue.

Bambi has received a thanks from: Kenny
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:01 pm

:lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyTdB_3HBp4[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Ryudo wrote:Image
I sleep in a recliner due to my condition. SO when I moved in back in December I wanted the bedroom to look like someone growing up in the 80's & 90's when I was growing up. I never really had one. My room was either a mess or my dad used it as a storage shed full of boxes.

The Dresser built in the 1920's but has Stickers from the apollo missions the 1970's Utah Stars ABA team.
Batmobile from when I was a kid. Mario & Zelda.

1992 issue of Gamepro. First look at SEGA CD a preview for the year 1992 for SEGA. My TMNT Adventures Comic from 1988. A Toys R Us Holiday Special book for 1996. It has ads for SEGA Saturn,Game Gear Genesis Super Nintendo Game Boy and the Launch of Nintendo 64. Best of all it advertises Sonic Xtreme.
Boom box? Who the fuck has a Boom box anymore? TMNT Water bottles Sheesh.

Fuck look at this rich kid. Back in the early 90's you were either a SEGA kid or a Nintendo kid and he has both. Dick. A VCR in his room and a TV? I HATE THIS KID! A GAME GEAR AND GAME BOY! ASSHOLE! Look at all the TMNT VHS tapes and the Turtle Van. I wish my parents were as loaded as this kid!

Anyway this was a project I wanted for a long long long time. Room when I was a kid was like a hoarders room. My dad packed it with boxes and later the room was such a mess I no longer cared. Now for my medical reasons I have to sleep in a recliner so both those reasons gave me good motivation and got the idea out of the dust bin when I first moved in back in december. I like how it turned out and will make small changes but that is the best I can do with no budget of a great room for a kid growing up in the 80's and 90's.

Recently I been a real heavy 90's mood so watching 90's tv shows 90's music and 90's games. I also watched all of VH1 I love the 90's. Look 80's has it's charm with me but TBH 80's sucked.

While the video above me does something similar and better. If you look at some of my posts in December last year I said I had this idea.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Bambi wrote:
"Tropical oils" refers to oils made from palm, palm kernel and coconut oils. In the 1980s, the American soybean industry was worried that foreign tropical oils would replace their oils as the number one fat, and take money from the American farmer.

A public relations firm working for the American soybean industry devised a campaign that would help to convince consumers that tropical oils were unhealthful. Foods made with soybean oil were labelled "contains no tropical oils." Later the U.S. Federal Trade Commission made that label illegal because there was an implied health claim that tropical oils are harmful and there is no evidence to back it up. the total amount of tropical oils in the U.S. diet was about two percent, so anything that caused consumers to avoid them would have a negligible effect on cholesterol. The whole issue was a trade war and not about health effects.

Tropical oils are used in foods for functional reasons. They are excellent for shortening because they don't get rancid easily, they produce flaky pastry and good color on fried foods, and they don't give a greasy feel to crackers. It is difficult to substitute most other vegetable oils for the tropical ones because their polyunsaturated fats have a short shelf life. To prolong the shelf life, manufacturers convert soybean oil in your food to partially hydrogenated oils which are known to be harmful to your health (increasing risk for a heart attacks and certain cancers).

The countries with the highest palm oil intakes in the world are Costa Rica and Malaysia. Their heart disease rates and serum cholesterol levels are much lower than in western nations. This never was a real health issue.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg[/youtube]
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:51 pm

I had one of these
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:44 pm

That's a good toy for keeping the Village of the Damned kid distracted long enough to think up a way of offing the freaky thing. :P

On a side note, you need this for your 90's bedroom.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Any Brits on the forum should mark the first weekend of January on your brand new calendars. The CITV channel is dedicating two full days to classic kids' shows from the '80s and '90s. Everything from the Raggy Dolls and Count Duckula to Knightmare and Finders Keepers. Take a look.

Bambi wrote: Image

Tiger Handhelds.

I got the second version of this at the onset of one childhood vacation.

Sonic 2! In handheld form! YES!

The bitter disappointment of playing it for the first time nearly ruined the whole trip.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Takumi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:00 am

Did Britain get "Are You Afraid of the Dark?". I know it was a Canadian production, but a lot of the time other countries in the Commonwealth got them too (eg. Britain, Australia etc.). It used to air on YTV (Canadian kids network; pure awesome).

Some of the best memories of the 90s that I have are:

- Dad renting me a Sega Saturn in early 96 for my 10th Birthday. I almost crapped myself; didn't sleep for two days.
- EARLY morning cartoon (Bobby's World, Megaman, Sonic etc.).
- Clothes that said "RAD" and "AWESOME".
- Def. L.A. Gear light-up sneaks. I got a pair of these in grad 1 and I was THE SHIT.
- Gaming mags. Pre-internet, these were gold.
- Renting games from my local game store. This was the best / worst part because a lot of the time I'd base my picks on box art, which usually didn't work out so well. You'd get home on a Friday and realize your whole weekend was shot after playing a game for 5 minutes.
- 90s Commercials. Sega does what Nintendont. Brilliant!
- Actually getting PSYCHED for a game release and being able to experience it for yourself without the entire web reviewing it 2 weeks out. This was great. Also, being able to tell your friends about the game you just played that they've never heard about. This isn't as easy to do anymore.
- The early internet. GIFs and obnoxious BG images (Google the Space Jam official website for reference).
- Not having a cellphone.
- Playing outside.
- The rapid pace of technology.

Also, not sure if these shows have been listed yet, but Duck Tales, Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin and Darkwing Duck. All badass.
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: xilezor
Currently playing: Shenmue I PAL

Postby Spokane » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:24 am

That show scared me when I was a kid. :lol: we are talking 7 years old around that age.

I remember the episode with Gilbert Gottfried the most.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic