dev comment of the day topic

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: dev comment of the day topic

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 pm

You're completely right that we shouldn't have a classification stamped on our heads at all times.

There are people who will immediately see the depth of the game and will enjoy it for that reason, however there are also people who will not understand what makes the game good at first glance but they recognize the base reasons something is fun.

Still lets look at OL and Dorian. Both men enjoy action games and have an undeniable passion for the genre.

OL enjoys the more stylistic and aesthetic aspect of the games. He gets into games like Blood Will Tell and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and Enslaved. These games are all great but all very shallow. Its not to say OL dosen't recognize depth, it just seems like its not a priority to him. I think if I handed him Ninja Gaiden Black and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams he's take Onimusha and call it a day. He's the kind of player you need to capture with aesthetics and accessibility, once you've got them you can introduce them to the depth by offering rewards specifically for higher difficulties.

Dorian is completely different. He likes em when they're pretty, but it seems he really likes games to be deep and offer a challenge. This is the kind of guy who picks up Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 3, and Ninja Gaiden:Black and puts the game on hard. This is also the base customer, wanting more Dorian will keep buying a series because he trusts a developer. Combos, freedom, challenge, variety and performance is what this crowd wants. They help a developer grow, they can help them look for new ideas and challenge themselves by trying to break the walls the developer has made. The best way to keep this kind of person is to continue offering depth and allowing them the freedom to continue learning and experimenting with a system.

Both are hardcore, and theres a way to make the majority of both happy, but developers keep trying to go one way or the other.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Dorian, OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Personally, it's all about moods for me. Sometimes I'm in the mood for depth and challenge, sometimes I'm in the mood for accessibility and aesthetics (you're probably right that aesthetics are more my thing though). My point was that I love all kinds, but don't subscribe to the notion that there's one right way to do things. I love it all, as long as it's well-made.
But for the most part, I agree otherwise.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 pm

I feel so left out in Manny's post
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Bluecast wrote: I feel so left out in Manny's post

You're the third kind of buyer, the snugglebunny, the kind I like to play leapfrog with.

In all seriousness I put you in with OL. You come for the look but stay for the depth, thats why something like Darksiders 2 is up your alley.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: You're completely right that we shouldn't have a classification stamped on our heads at all times.

There are people who will immediately see the depth of the game and will enjoy it for that reason, however there are also people who will not understand what makes the game good at first glance but they recognize the base reasons something is fun.

Still lets look at OL and Dorian. Both men enjoy action games and have an undeniable passion for the genre.

OL enjoys the more stylistic and aesthetic aspect of the games. He gets into games like Blood Will Tell and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and Enslaved. These games are all great but all very shallow. Its not to say OL dosen't recognize depth, it just seems like its not a priority to him. I think if I handed him Ninja Gaiden Black and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams he's take Onimusha and call it a day. He's the kind of player you need to capture with aesthetics and accessibility, once you've got them you can introduce them to the depth by offering rewards specifically for higher difficulties.

Dorian is completely different. He likes em when they're pretty, but it seems he really likes games to be deep and offer a challenge. This is the kind of guy who picks up Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 3, and Ninja Gaiden:Black and puts the game on hard. This is also the base customer, wanting more Dorian will keep buying a series because he trusts a developer. Combos, freedom, challenge, variety and performance is what this crowd wants. They help a developer grow, they can help them look for new ideas and challenge themselves by trying to break the walls the developer has made. The best way to keep this kind of person is to continue offering depth and allowing them the freedom to continue learning and experimenting with a system.

Both are hardcore, and theres a way to make the majority of both happy, but developers keep trying to go one way or the other.

Large quantities of Intelligence detected. Now I'm really turned on.

Dorian has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Bluecast wrote: I feel so left out in Manny's post

You're the third kind of buyer, the snugglebunny, the kind I like to play leapfrog with.

In all seriousness I put you in with OL. You come for the look but stay for the depth, thats why something like Darksiders 2 is up your alley.

He's all about big brand marketing and advertizing for products in games like mountain dew and dorito's. Ryudo likes CoD Mw3 but wishes their was more day 1 dlc he could have bought. He loves achievements and see's games as more of a steping stone toward a higher gamer score. He posts frequently on gamefaqs and IGN boards to discuss the important issues like what will come in the limited edition Madden 2013 package.

Axm has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:28 am

Mizuguchi moves away from game production

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... production

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: Mizuguchi moves away from game production

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... production

Another one bites the dust.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm

No thanks Cliffy B

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/cliffy ... 46999.html

I don't mind buying smaller games digitally but larger games? Which will of course get bigger in size next gen? No chance.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: No thanks Cliffy B

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/cliffy ... 46999.html

I don't mind buying smaller games digitally but larger games? Which will of course get bigger in size next gen? No chance.

Could you imagine how long that would take to download. It takes FOREVER to get the PS+ games most times.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Most Broadband connections take ages to download a 6GB game and we already have games over 15GB now.

Not to mention a lot of areas still don't have BB anyways and most have a cap.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:31 pm

I always hated that douche
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:05 am

British games design luminary Peter Molyneux believes that the traditional games industry has gradually turned 'lazy' and too dictated by console cycles.

The 22 Cans co-founder said the sector has "become so used to the console cycle, and in a way we've become lazy".

In an interview with GamesIndustry International, Molyneux said the key problem with reliance on the console cycle was the new IP drought that traditionally arrives towards the end of it.

"Two years ago, developers were going to publishers and saying we'd like to do this [new IP], and the publishers were saying, 'It's too late in the generation now.' The first time I heard that was about four years ago - it's ridiculous."

Molyneux's next project, called Curiosity, is in production for iOS and PC. It tasks players to chip away at a gigantic cube, one piece at a time, until nothing remains and the 'secret' at its core is revealed.

The Lionhead co-founder appears to be relishing the chance to create games for iOS devices, and believes that this line of products could supersede next generation hardware eventually.

"The hardware iteration of [the iPad] is every six months: not every six years, every six months," he said.

"If we're not careful - and in fact this is highly probable - by the time that this generation finally comes out, which will probably be in about 14 months time, this little puppy might well be more powerful than the new consoles.

"That's just mad. And then 6 months after that it'll be even more powerful."

The potential of CPU and GPU power in mobile devices has been subject of routine debate within the industry. More technologically-minded developers believe that the mobile battery power of devices like the iPad will always make them less capable than power-outlet-fed home systems.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/36 ... idiculous/
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 am

Platinum Games director Atsushi Inaba has called the PS3 conversion of Bayonetta, “our biggest failure”.

Speaking to us as part of a ten-page feature in our new issue, E246, he discusses how Platinum declined handling the port itself, delegating the task to an in-house team at Sega, the game’s publisher. The resulting release suffered framerate and control issues which blighted the experience for many players, despite receiving largely positive review scores.

“The biggest failure for Platinum so far, the one that really sticks in my mind, is that port,” Inaba tells us. “At the time we didn’t really know how to develop on PS3 all that well, and whether we could have done it… is irrelevant: we made the decision that we couldn’t. But looking back on the result, and especially what ended up being released to users, I regard that as our biggest failure.”

Inaba was speaking on the verge of the Bayonetta 2 announcement, which has caused controversy thanks to Platinum’s exclusivity deal with Nintendo. There was anger when the title wasn’t retained as a multi-platform release by Sega. In Edge’s feature however, the team stipulates that it had a very specific five-game deal with the publisher, and that it was already talking to other parties at the close of its fifth Sega project, Anarchy Reigns.

In a wide-ranging interview, which also covers the state of Japanese game development and the problems with growing team sizes, Inaba told the magazine that the Bayonetta experience provided an important lesson. “One thing I will say is that it wasn’t a failure for nothing,” he explains. “We learned that we needed to take responsibility for everything. So on Vanquish we developed both versions in-house.

“We learned, so it wasn’t a pointless failure, but it was a failure nonetheless”.

You can read the rest of the interview in E246, which should be with subscribers in the coming days and will be on newsagent shelves from 27 September.

I want my money back, PG.
Just kidding, I knew what I was getting myself into.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Kojima wants to remake Snatcher & Policenauts and the president of Konami has asked Kojima to handle the Silent Hill series...

Hideo Kojima is open to reviving Policenauts, Snatcher as well as lending a hand to a new Silent Hill game - though it's unlikely he'd be able to take a direct role in any of the projects himself.

"Personally I love adventure games," Kojima said during today's Eurogamer Expo developer session, "and I'd love to see other chapters in the Snatcher or Policenaut series. But from a business perspective it's pretty hard to make that work. I think it's my job to push forward, so I don't think I could make it.

"I do think there's a possibility that I'd make an adventure game in collaboration with someone else who's great at making adventure games - maybe there's a possibility. As far as making a remake of Snatcher, that's something I'd like to attempt. We couldn't do it internally, but maybe we could partner with someone."

Snatcher has been treated to a prequel of sorts in the shape of the catchily titled SDATCHER, a seven episode radio play that aired last year and that was created in collaboration with Suda51.

Kojima also spoke about potentially getting involved with the Silent Hill series - a subject he expressed interest in via Twitter earlier this year.

"In the past I've mentioned Silent Hill in interviews, and as a result of that the president of Konami rung me up and said he'd like me to make the next Silent Hill," Kojima revealed today.

"Honestly, I'm kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror movies, so I'm not confident I can do it. At the same time, there's a certain type of horror that only people who are scared of can create, so maybe it's something I can do.

"That said, I think Silent Hill has a certain atmosphere. I think it has to continue, and I'd love to help it continue, and if I can help by supervising or lending the technology of the Fox Engine, then I'd love to participate in that respect."

Most of the questions sent Kojima's way were, understandably, centred around the Metal Gear series, and he revealed many of his favourite moments from its 25 year history.

"If we're to talk boss characters, then I have one answer," he said. "I've done a lot of boss battles in a lot of games, and one thing I try to accomplish is make something no one has ever seen before. From that perspective, two bosses I'm a fan of are Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid and The Sorrow from Metal Gear Solid 3."

Kojima also spoke of his personal relationship with Snake, and how he's grown with the character that he created. "What I can say is that I've aged alongside Snake, and I've matured along with him," Kojima said. "As long as there's a Snake in Metal Gear Solid, that Snake will always be a part of me, so I don't think I could ever do a Snake that's much younger than myself.

"For example, if at some point if we decided to bring out a JRPG with Snake in his teens, I don't think that's something I could do. I'd have to leave that with the younger staff. As you've seen, Ground Zeroes will feature a slightly older Snake."

They'd fuck up a remake of Snatcher, half of the greatness to it is the fact that it's a pixelated graphic adventure that's all nostalgic to me. I betcha they'd turn it into a half assed First Person Shooter from some mediocre company like Double Helix.

Kojima handling Silent Hill, though? Well, Kojima Productions actually has a few former members of Team Silent, so that might not be as bad as it sounds (Kojima directing a psychological horror game though? I'll have to wait and see on that).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ith-kojima

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming