Lisle Wilkerson (Xiuying, Joy & Yuan)

(Chapters 3-6)

Lisle Wilkerson (Xiuying, Joy & Yuan)

Postby Peter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Image Image Image

The beautiful and talented Shenmue II voice artist Lisle Wilkerson has kindly agreed to stop by and answer a few questions us Shenmue fans may have!

What would you like to ask her? Bear in mind that the questions are relevant and respectful.

Her username is "Lisleweapon", and I should also add that questions do not have to be Shenmue specific. Lisle has done VA work for quite some time now, having worked on the Crazi Taxi, Tekken and Virtua Fighter series. She has also had a brief appearance in the movie "Lost in Translation"!

Thank you for joining us Lisle! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZND_Lfsz5M[/youtube]
Last edited by Peter on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Welcome to the Dojo - Lisle Wilkerson! (Xiuying, Joy & Y

Postby Sailors? » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Cool.
Here's my question: Have you ever played Shenmue yourself Lisle? If so what did you think of it and do you want the series to be continued?
(I know that was actually three questions but ah well.)

EDIT: This will probably be better in one of the Shenmue related forums.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Was the whole set up as atrocious as the annoymous VA who gave that recent interview made out? Or was there really a conscious "lets go for super camp" element to the direction of the voice acting? I'm sure there must have been, but the campness actually works funnily enough.

Also where you ever in the studio with Corey while recording? If so did you ever think "bloody hell stop talking with all the emotion of a cardboard cut out and earn that paycheck!"?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby QWERTY » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm

When is Shenmue 3 coming out?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Got a couple more questions.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken it's been a while since I played Shenmue 2 but wasn't Yuan meant to be a gay cross dresser. Given that this is a rather unusual character what preparation or research did you do for the role? Did you try to add some masculinity to the voice, or did you just settle for a normal female voice?

Also I don't suppose you ever met the VA of Tom the Hotdog man from Shenmue did you? If so did he ever tell you exactly what accent he was going for? Was he really going for an indian doing an impression of a Japanese who himself is doing a bad Jamaican Patioa?

A non Shenmue question here but as an experienced game VA. Why do you think it is that video game voice acting in 80% of games (that I have played) is usually of a really low standard(yourself not included of course!). Do the producers just not care.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki Legend » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 pm

A nice simple one... were there any particular challenges you had to overcome when doing the voice acting for any of your Shenmue II characters?
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby Supa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 am

Awesome! Welcome Lisle.

I also have an interview that I sent her that she's completing as we speak.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:11 am

Peter wrote:She has also had a brief appearance in the movie "Lost in Translation"!

That's cool. She had the part near the end, right?

I never would of guessed Joy and Xiuying, (especially Yuan) had the same actress..

Who did you play in Tekken?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 am

Ahhh this is nice. Great job Peter. And I do remember her from Lost in Translation. It was a scene in the lobby hallway and she asked a question to Bill Murray.

Well my question for her is;

How did you start off doing VA work? What was your "jump off" point?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby LawXiu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:37 pm

No questions, just pass on my number.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby lisleweapon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 am

hey guys!! thanks for having me:) ok, so...
as for the questions-
first of all I have played Shenmue a few times, but it was at a friends house. I actually don't have any game consoles,etc at home...because if i did, I am sure I would be addicted. lol:) I thought it was a cool game but at that time I had no idea how big of a following it had. and yes, of course I would love to see the series continue!
And as for having a Shenmue 3, I read that Yu Suzuki recently (last month) said "I think Sega will let me make it", but then went on to say that it depended on various budget issues...so I don't know. but fingers crossed, I guess.

Yuan...ahhh, yes, the mysterious character that is Yuan. so with that voice, I probably spent at least a few hours in the studio offering up various voices for that character. I guess Yuan was a very sensitive topic for the game, because Sega was trying to keep the game as "politically correct" or "mainstream" as possible, and yet keep as close to the original character as possible. Honestly I actually had another voice that I gave them that was a bit closer to the character, so I was a bit bummed that they didn't use it. It was actually a voice that I kinda modeled after the character Samantha in "Sex and the City". lol.. I will say that experimenting with that character was quite a bit of fun.
And yes, I do believe that the director told me that they had envisioned Yuan as a bit of a flamboyant, cross-dressing boy/girl...

Some of you may or may not know, but when we go to a voice job for a video game, here is how it usually goes...
we sit down with the director (and sometimes client) of the project.
they explain the character we are voicing.
they we go through various lines to warm up, sometimes WITH the video, but many times it is without the video.
we give them various voices, and the director chooses the voice he wants to use.
then we use that voice and go through the various lines.

I remember when I was doing Xiuying, the director kept telling me that he wanted her to have a very flat, almost monotone feel. I wanted to add a bit more emotion to her character, but the director didn't want that.
Probably one of the hardest things for me during the recording of Shenmue 2 was actually keeping the consistency of my voice. When I recorded the various characters, it was right in the middle of winter AND flu season.
And unfortunately I got sick during the recording. (it didn't help that my "regular"job was DJing Mon-Fri for a radio station in Tokyo, so I was probably overusing my voice a bit...)
But anyway, I remember one day I showed up at the Sega studios all ready to record, but after about 15 min in the studio, they told me to go home, because my voice was just a teensy weensy tad off, but they needed to have it the exact same voice quality. So I was totally bummed...especially because the commute to the Sega studios from downtown Tokyo is over an hour by train:(

but I will say that being a part of the game has been a great experience. And I had the opportunity to work with some good friends on this project, like Paul Lucas, who is awesome, btw. I am going to try and get him on here at some point.

ok, so as far as my Tekken characters...I am Nina Williams, and also do the voice for Christie Monteiro, as well as Zafina. I actually went in the studio here in LA a few weeks ago to voice one of my Tekken characters for an upcoming game, which unfortunately I can't really discuss yet...but can give you details at a later date:)

how did I get into voice acting...well, I have been in radio since I was 19, so it was kinda a natural thing for me, I guess.
I'm not sure if you guys know this, but I grew up in Japan. Lived there since I was 5.
In fact, the first city I ever lived in was Sendai (which was, of course, the epicenter for the huge recent earthquake)
And yes, it has been quite surreal to watch the events unfold...very sad :(
As we speak, I am actually coordinating a big charity event which will be on 5/20 in Tokyo, and have been pretty wrapped up with that the past couple weeks.
Anyway, so I have pretty much lived in Japan my whole life. And just recently (as in two years ago) moved back to the US. So I speak totally fluent Japanese, and while I was in Japan, I hosted mostly radio and tv shows. That led me to also doing quite a bit of voice over work, which led to my video game work. And I must say that video game work is DEFINITELY a highlight.

OK...so I know that I haven't answered all your questions, but I will be back for more.:)
And Peter told me that some of you guys have been donating some stuff to help raise money for Japan. I can't even begin to tell you how touched I know the Japanese people would be if they knew...and I am very touched as well:)
So thank you :)
will be back to talk again soon:)
xoxo

lisleweapon has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Schiff, Yokosuka
lisleweapon
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spokane » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:03 am

I don't have any questions, right now anyway, but thank you for stopping by! Its is nice of you to do so and we appreciate it very much so.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:36 am

Lisle How do you know Peter? And Peter... just who are you??? the gag is up, reveal who you really are! haha
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks for answering :)
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Re: Lisle Wilkerson (Xiuying, Joy & Yuan)

Postby Axm » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks for answering Lisle!
I too lived in Japan for a number of years. My wife is Japanese. You explained your history and how you got into the business and I think now it makes total sense. ;)
Im sorry about your home town of Sendai. I know it must be pretty personal to you. Its good to see you're getting involved there too. Best of luck.
Thanks for sharing all that you could.
Us Shenmue fans dont get much attention these days and to have someone like you come out and talk about the past like that is a real treat. :)
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue II