The Adventures of Tintin

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

The Adventures of Tintin

Postby Myles » Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 pm

So we're seeing a movie adaptation coming out for this xmas 2011. Director Stephen Spielburg and producer Peter Jackson. Just with that alone should raise some eyebrows for people. This series holds close to my heart, cause I have memories of reading Tintin on the bookmobile when I was a kid, watching the tv show in french too to try and learn french. (didnt work). So what do you guys think of our little friend? The graphics for the movie look real good, and it's in 3D (of course).

http://www.movienewz.com/the-adventures-of-tintin/
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: The Adventures of Tintin

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri May 20, 2011 1:52 pm

I remember watching the cartoon. I don't particularly have any lasting fond memories of it but I'm not holding my breath to see it.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri May 20, 2011 2:17 pm

It does look impressive, and it's good that they didn't try to write a silly "original" script, but I very much doubt Spielberg and Jackson would have the sensibilities to make this a successful transition (not that I'd know who would, mind you).
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Hate the cg.
It's the same kind of mega-realistic crap that Zemeckis has been using in his movies for the past decade, and in this particular case especially, I don't think it serves the source material very well at all. Would have much preferred a more "cartoony" style, more akin to the original. Tintin himself looks utterly ridiculous when made all "realistic" like this (baby-faced ginger with a gay haircut).
Not to mention that I hate this style of cg anyway, no matter the context. I've always figured if they're going to go to the trouble of mo-capping ever single little movement like this and try to make a cartoon look as real as possible... then why the fuck didn't they just film it in live-action to begin with? Can't imagine it would have cost much more or less, and you've already got people acting everything out in real life anyway. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Never saw the cartoon hate CG films,prefer classic animation. This CG looks shit therefore not interested.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Myles » Fri May 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Just realized there was talks about this movie back in 2007.

I personally enjoy the cg. I think it's a great touch. Not that I dont think Tintin himself looks a little, well, goofy, I think the background, and the ship (which is a big part) looks great, nice eye candy. I think this is the way movies are going to be going in the near future.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Fri May 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Tintin was my favorite as a kid, and this movie looks perfect. It's one of the best stories in the series too. I can't wait.

And by the way, CG is just as much art as anything else, especially the highly detailed stuff like this. People who eyhate CG are generally the worst sort of people. They are the kind of people who would, using the same arguments, complain about great painters simply because photographs were invented.

The original Tintin took on some pretty serious and dark stuff. The cartoon style is very much the opposite of what it was, and that's one of the major things that made it so interesting. Herge was a cartoonist, yes, but he always liked the super-realistic and accurate backgrounds Tintin was known for. Also, I personally think the work they've done on the movie looks incredible. The characters are not "realistic" looking at all. They are exactly as cartoony as the originals... with texture. It looks great.

So to all the naysayers, I'm flipping you off right now. Right at the screen.
Last edited by KiBa on Fri May 20, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Fri May 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Isaacsdad wrote:I think this is the way movies are going to be going in the near future.

Nah, I doubt it. Like I said, Zemeckis has been using the same style for almost a decade now. If it isn't a huge thing by now, I seriously doubt it's going to catch on.
Thankfully.

And yeah, the ship and environments look nice. It's just the characters I hate the look of.

Oddly, though, this has made me want to read the old comics again. I read some of them a long, long time ago, but I can't remember them very well. Might be good to get back to them. They are classic after all.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Fri May 20, 2011 3:33 pm

I edited.

Zemeckis has made a grand total of four CG movies, as far as I know. Woop dee doo.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Myles » Fri May 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Whats wrong with Zemeckis anyways? Back to the future, Forrest Gump, Roger Rabbit.

Roger Rabbit was before it's time a bit I think ,the biggest pitfall with that movie is how much it cost to make. But I'd say Polar Express was a big hit, and A Christmas Carol was a hit too... You have to admit, OL, that this type of animation is rising in popularity.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Isaacsdad wrote:Whats wrong with Zemeckis anyways? Back to the future, Forrest Gump, Roger Rabbit.

Roger Rabbit was before it's time a bit I think ,the biggest pitfall with that movie is how much it cost to make. But I'd say Polar Express was a big hit, and A Christmas Carol was a hit too... You have to admit, OL, that this type of animation is rising in popularity.

Z man has fallen off the radar last 10 years. His CG films stink and keeps pushing the CG style even though it just isn't taking off like Pixar. He wants to be the next Pixar but he keeps falling flat. He lost his mojo.
CG is just all the fad these days and CG films as they age keep looking dated(some exceptions) Traditional animation has been killed off in favor of CG. I would be fine with CG if we had both but one flavor does not please all.
Been some good stuff from Pixar but IMO none of it even comes close to Lion King and disney late 80's early 90's animated films. Big reason Studio Ghibli is gaining fame out west. It's Walt Disney of Japan but old good disney.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Clint » Fri May 20, 2011 5:44 pm

I thought Beowulf was a great film.

Highly enjoyable.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Kenny » Fri May 20, 2011 6:14 pm

The last Mocap film that was released, Mars Needs Moms, bombed at the box office. Hard. This apparently canned Zemeckis' planned mocap remake of Yellow Submarine. At this point, Mocap is still in its infancy for movies. It works wonderfully with games but movie audiences aren't buying into it too much.

I think Zemeckis is banking too much on this tech. You gatta remember he's the director who is always at the forefront of technology. BTTF, Roger Rabbit, even movies like What Lies Benieth had some clever camera trickery at least. So things like this give him a major hard on. I don't think he's naling it quite yet. Beowulf was good and all but nowhere near the movies he made since Cast Away.

As for this, I liked the cartoon as a kid. Never read the books. Herge wanted Spielberg to healm this project since the late '70s - early '80s. A live action film back in the day might've worked but this doesn't look too bad. I'm not super impressed with it but I'm looking forward to it. But only cause I'm a Speilberg fan and I liked the cartoon. Peter Jackson is also producing this and is set to direct the sequel (if this is succesful).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby KiBa » Fri May 20, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't get how can anyone can not be impressed by the trailer and images. It looks amazing.

Kenny wrote:I think Zemeckis is banking too much on this tech.

That's always a danger with any director/producer with an original story, trying to have special effects carry a picture, but this isn't an original story. The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure are tremendous on their own. Jackson and Spielberg just need to artfully copy it, and it looks like that's exactly what they've done. Even the little voice acting we've heard sounds perfect so far.

Ryudo wrote:CG is just all the fad these days and CG films as they age keep looking dated(some exceptions) Traditional animation has been killed off in favor of CG. I would be fine with CG if we had both but one flavor does not please all. Been some good stuff from Pixar but IMO none of it even comes close to Lion King and disney late 80's early 90's animated films. Big reason Studio Ghibli is gaining fame out west. It's Walt Disney of Japan but old good disney.

I agree there should be an equal amount of traditional animation like Disney's Beauty and Beast (even though it's expensive and difficult), but Pixar's UP was a masterpiece.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Sat May 21, 2011 1:21 am

KiBa wrote:I don't get how can anyone can not be impressed by the trailer and images. It looks amazing.

Because it's been done.
I was impressed when I saw trailers for FF: The Spirits Within. I was impressed when I saw a trailer for The Polar Express. I was impressed when I saw stuff for Beowulf.
Seeing stuff for A Christmas Carol?
No longer impressive.
Mars Needs Moms?
A little better... but still "meh".

This style of cg has been done enough now that it just doesn't have the same "oomph" that it used to. It's worn off.
OL
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic