Biohazard

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Resident Evil

Postby Yama » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

The most interesting plot lines in Biohazard 4 were not part of the forefront, that's the problem. Ada's Report and everything that went along with it was acceptable.

And yes, Lisa's story in Rebirth was perfect. In fact Rebirth is perfect. Along with Biohazard 2, definitely the most solid title in the series in my opinion.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Birty
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:22 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38VMj-ARx4[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Birty » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 am

I'm not gonna lie I can't wait for this game, fair enough it has changed significantly over the years but I like how there is three different styles that will all link up to one story. I got two weeks off work right now so I will be pretty much hooked on that and FIFA 13 while I'm off I think! Good job I get paid on friday!

Birty has received a thanks from: Yama
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Has anyone played the demo yet? Wasn't too thrilled with it to be honest. The only one I found particularly fun was Leon's scenario.. Chris's was basically mass effect meets call of duty. Ridiculous. I just hope they let you play by yourself sometimes and not force you to constantly have a partner, rr hopefully the demo just had some bugs that needed to be worked out.

However I already pre-ordered the special edition of the game so I'm going to force myself to like it.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 am

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: Has anyone played the demo yet?

Yeah, I played it on Sunday. Downloaded it off PSN since the 360 demo is Gold users only. Don't know if there's any difference between the respective demos. The one I played has three scenarios; Leon, Chris, and Jake. I played all three of them (an online user even jumped into my game on the Chris scenario). I don't have much to say that I didn't already say on the series. To me, everything since RE4 has been Resident Evil in-name-only. Everything since RE4 could quite easily have just been a new IP. Not that I 'dislike' the post-RE3 stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed RE4 and 5. But they just weren't RE.

Anyway, onto the demo. Seemed very much like RE5, just with some tweaks. Co-op gameplay throughout. It seems Capcom is set on making RE a massive multiplayer franchise. To be fair to them, RE5 was a fucking good time with a second player. In single-player, it was shit. RE6 seems much the same. A great two-player action game, a bad single-player action game. I found 5 was OK with an online player if they had a mic and you had a good connection to each other, but otherwise it was split-screen all the way for me. Haven't had a chance to split-screen this one (can you even do it?), and the one online experience I had in Chris' scenario wasn't all that. Some dude joined without a mic and died a lot.

The actual scenarios themselves.. meh. I really didn't enjoy any of it. In Leon's scenario I spent a lot of time just sprinting past the zombies to the clearly-marked objective, barely shooting off a round. Even on the bit in the alley with the weird human/dog things. Rather than try and kill them, just sprinted past, got to the waypoint marker, continued on to the next section. When I did shoot, I was getting a lot of headshots, and popping lots of heads. Yeah, the reticule moves about. Wasn't really a problem. With Chris' scenario, I just hosed everything down with my weaponry, hot-footing it to the objective. Much the same in Jake's scenario.

All in all, a pretty forgettable experience in my opinion.

Martin has received a thanks from: OL
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby OL » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:32 pm

I was just looking at videos for the full game yesterday, and now it seems really weird to me that they used the sequences that they did in the demo. The videos I was watching were much, much cooler in the way they were set up.
The demo felt a bit barebones and/or empty in a way. Not much happens in Leon's scenario, Jake's was essentially just a few large corridors with guys shooting at you, and Chris's was a not-very-fun CoD-wannabe with monsters.
Probably not going to make the best impression possible with those.
On the other hand, it looks like the main game has several much more interesting situations throughout. There was some kind of underground tomb with Leon, a dark, dilapidated building while being hunted by some kind of stealth snake monster with Chris, and an incredibly cool Tyrant-like boss fight around the fiery wreckage of an airplane with Jake. All of that got me much more excited than anything in the public demo did.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Om0y__qazE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFMqYRb9cQ0[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 pm

God, I'm starting to really fucking hate live-action commercials for videogames. They're almost never any good.
That other one wasn't bad though.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Too many use them now for me.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 pm

They're just never effective. They always look like a bunch of commercial actors trying too hard, rather than being movie-like, they way they're intended. The worst I've seen was really recently, for Borderlands 2. The live-action commercial looked like a bunch of idiot cosplayers running around a playground somewhere. It's just... bad.
Use game footage, or don't do a commercial at all, I say.

OL has received a thanks from: Martin
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Yeah that's poor but the good thing is they had the sense to release a gameplay trailer as well unlike MS and Halo. Think Halo 2 was the last game in the series to actually get a gameplay trailer.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm

OL wrote: They're just never effective. They always look like a bunch of commercial actors trying too hard, rather than being movie-like, they way they're intended. The worst I've seen was really recently, for Borderlands 2. The live-action commercial looked like a bunch of idiot cosplayers running around a playground somewhere. It's just... bad.

This!!

It's my firmly-held belief that the Dreamcast would not have suffered it's infamous fate if the advertisements for the console actually showed the games, which were (at the time) so far beyond anything else. There's literally never been such a huge jump in graphics since. Even the best looking PSone or N64 game couldn't hold a single candle to what the Dreamcast was bringing to the table.

I imagine if they had advertised Shenmue on the TV, with in-game footage, people would have been totally blown-away. This place would probably be a lot different! We'd be talking about a franchise we all hold dear to our hearts that was finished many years ago, not left unfinished for many years.

I digress. I totally agree with you, here. Live-action adverts have no place in computer gaming, unless we're talking adverts for a Tetris-like game or something. Not an FPS like Borderlands 2.

OL wrote: I was just looking at videos for the full game yesterday, and now it seems really weird to me that they used the sequences that they did in the demo. The videos I was watching were much, much cooler in the way they were set up.

Maybe the bits you speak of are the only good bits? Just playing devil's advocate, here!
Last edited by Martin on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin has received a thanks from: OL
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Martin wrote:
OL wrote: They're just never effective. They always look like a bunch of commercial actors trying too hard, rather than being movie-like, they way they're intended. The worst I've seen was really recently, for Borderlands 2. The live-action commercial looked like a bunch of idiot cosplayers running around a playground somewhere. It's just... bad.

This!!

It's my firmly-held belief that the Dreamcast would not have suffered it's infamous fate if the advertisements for the console actually showed the games, which were (at the time) so far beyond anything else. There's literally never been such a huge jump in graphics since. Even the best looking PSone or N64 game couldn't hold a single candle to what the Dreamcast was bringing to the table.

I imagine if they had advertised Shenmue on the TV, with in-game footage, people would have been totally blown-away. This place would probably be a lot different! We'd be talking about a franchise we all hold dear to our hearts that was finished many years ago, not left unfinished for many years.

I digress. I totally agree with you, here. Live-action adverts have no place in computer gaming, unless we're talking adverts for a Tetris-like game or something. Not an FPS like Borderlands 2.

OL wrote: I was just looking at videos for the full game yesterday, and now it seems really weird to me that they used the sequences that they did in the demo. The videos I was watching were much, much cooler in the way they were set up.

Maybe the bits you speak of are the only good bits? Just playing devil's advocate, here!

boo at both of you just because they did a bad job of using real life acting doesn't mean it can't be done. Stuff like The Mortal Kombat, Wrestlemania and super smash bros commercials are brilliant. I'd take that any day over this fad of "We're going to tell you our game is innovative and make it seem really intense"
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Well, it's not like the whole experience could or should be summed up in a 15 second advert. I suppose you could. Mario advert would just be "Jump on platforms, enemy's heads an collect stuff.. get the new Mario!". Would be boring as hell. Yeah the gameplay ones we do get are cheesy, but so are most film adverts. At least that way we get a bit of whatever cheesy advert stuff they put on.. and we get to see the game! Even if you see gameplay for 3 seconds, that'd be enough for a civilised-mind to figure out mainly what the gameplay entails.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Martin wrote: Well, it's not like the whole experience could or should be summed up in a 15 second advert. I suppose you could. Mario advert would just be "Jump on platforms, enemy's heads an collect stuff.. get the new Mario!". Would be boring as hell. Yeah the gameplay ones we do get are cheesy, but so are most film adverts. At least that way we get a bit of whatever cheesy advert stuff they put on.. and we get to see the game! Even if you see gameplay for 3 seconds, that'd be enough for a civilised-mind to figure out mainly what the gameplay entails.

Yea, but I've had a serious issue with how games handle trailers in general. truth be told a lot of the time the gameplay in gameplay trailers get the point of how the game plays across but it doesn't get across why you'd want to play the game. i think people who often make trailers don't realize that just because somthing is fun to play dosen't mean it looks fun to play.

but I'm very bitter and jaded when it comes to trailers....VERY bitter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJlPu2pQ_8I[/youtube]
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming