Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: The only upgrade this gen actually needs is RAM. I dunno why it is, but it always seems to be an afterthought. Graphical capabilities are fine. DVD-9 is a bit limited too, and I don't think there's ever been a problem with the CPU. Btw, who was it that was developin that "search engine" system for rendering? I don't think I've seen it implemented yet, everyone still seems to be stickin to draw-distance... Did it not work out well or did it just fall on deaf ears?

id Tech5?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: So with Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes looking as good as it does (graphically), we also have Halo 4 coming out soon, which similarly looks fantastic:

Who needs next gen when games are so good looking?

Now imagine having consoles that could run them in 1080p rather than 720 or sub HD like most games do. Still think its sad that 7 years into the consoles life the devs are pumping their chests at getting Halo 4 running at 720p.
Maybe its because ive had the 360 since day 1 but im ready for a next gen console next year.

Also too few publishers are willing to take a chance on new IPs this late into the consoles life cycle.

But i do think the Halo series will be better without Bungie, don't rate them as story tellers
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm ready, current gen is fine on smaller screens but when playing on something bigger it looks awfully stretched and static, I'm ready for the true experience of being able to play with perfect quality on a 50 inch screen
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Said about a year ago I think that "the next two to three years is fine by me.". I stand by that, but wouldn't be that bothered if they kicked off next month, 'cos I usually don't "move on" until a year or two into a console's/era's lifespan. I can see all sides to the argument though.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I don't really care.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:44 pm

This gen will carry on even if a new console comes out next year but for me this gens going stale.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Didn't think it was id who did it... Might be different, but I might be wrong. Someone posted a topic about it on here about three or four years ago n I sent the link to the lead designer of the failed video game project I worked on.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 am

next gen will have a slow start, maybe even a harsh one.
let this generation live.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 am

The video game world is totally misguided because of charlatans supported by sickening media claqueurs, as proved here:

It’s a typical Cageism: he is both in love with and frustrated by this medium. Indeed, his approach to development is much more in line with auteur cinema than it is with mainstream development. It’s highly personal and, during the early part of the process, isolated. “Little has really changed since I started to work in the industry to be honest,” he shrugs. “There is a moment when you need to talk about something, when you have an idea, a subject, and you say, ‘OK, I am ready to write.’ It’s a very long process for me – it usually takes about a year, and it ends with a script that’s about 2,000 pages long…”

source: http://www.edge-online.com/features/beyond-two-souls-emotional-core
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby mue 26 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:58 pm

:s

I don't get all the hate for Cage. Yeah, he comes across as a bit pretentious at times, but makes games that are usually quite unique experiences whether you love them or hate them.

I think Beyond is going to be great.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:16 pm

mue 26 wrote: :s

I don't get all the hate for Cage. Yeah, he comes across as a bit pretentious at times, but makes games that are usually quite unique experiences whether you love them or hate them.

It's because once upon a time he made a game called Indigo Prophecy. And it was the only game he made that people played.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Sega' Samurai & Dragons will include a ton of cameos including some from Shenmue!!

ThyDarkAngel has received a thanks from: OL
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby OL » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:25 pm

mue 26 wrote:Yeah, he comes across as a bit pretentious at times...

A bit is putting it far too nicely.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Dorian
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:36 pm

I don't get all the hate for Cage. Yeah, he comes across as a bit pretentious at times (...)

This is a bit to you?

“My goal is to surprise people, to give them something they want without knowing they want it,” says Cage. “I want to create an emotional journey, a unique experience. I am not interested in giving them ‘fun’, I want to give them meaning; I don’t want to challenge their thumbs, I want to challenge their minds. Maybe this is irrelevant or just overly ambitious, maybe this is not what most people out there actually want. But this is the goal I set for myself with Beyond: to create something different.”

There is nothing about his games that's fresh, intelligent or inspiring. He's creating hole-ridden stories that steal so much from American TV shows that it's a disgrace. When he speaks like in that quote, he speaks as the most pretentious game dev ever. Not to mention putting himself in a game just to kill your suspense of disbelief while boasting.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Yukupo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:43 pm

I'll side with you. I thought Heavy Rain was great. I don't really care about how pretentious or derivative the guy is. Fact is, I enjoyed the game.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming