Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:30 pm

LAMEWAD wrote: Anybody here who plays VF5:FS good? I just started playing it, kind of, and I'm pretty bad at the moment. I don't exactly have the time/patience to practice too often but it's fun nonetheless. I play as Lau Chan... or at least I attempt to.

I play it, but I won't judge my own play. If you're on PSN, gimme a call, babe.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Tuffty » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Dorian wrote:
Tuffty wrote:So basically, more than an hour spent on going back to square fucking one. No levelling up, no reinforcing weapons or armor, literally no progress.

OK, now think about the people who were making master ninja no save run in NGB...

Different though innit? In their case they're playing an already difficult game, having beaten it multiple times already if they're playing on the hardest difficulty possible, purely for the challenge and for the sense of accomplishment in saying 'I did it'. Whereas I'm playing an already difficult game on first playthrough, just to progress but have had numerous stepbacks in the space of an hour during normal play, losing all my souls I gathered and my time.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Lost half an hour in lobbies on Binary Domain. Either people don't know when to start a game or there aren't enough players..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Tuffty wrote:Different though innit? In their case they're playing an already difficult game, having beaten it multiple times already if they're playing on the hardest difficulty possible, purely for the challenge and for the sense of accomplishment in saying 'I did it'. Whereas I'm playing an already difficult game on first playthrough, just to progress but have had numerous stepbacks in the space of an hour during normal play, losing all my souls I gathered and my time.

The point was, you "lost" one lousy hour. Those people lost weeks, months in some cases.

I said that you "lost" it because things like that are an integral part of the DS' experience so I wouldn't call it losing anything. It was designed that way. It's typical. You knew what's coming.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:10 pm

The DS version of FFIV way harder than I thought it would be (especially since what little I played of the PSP version was a cakewalk). :shock:
Also, it's a really fun battle system, where you're trying to exploit the enemy's weaknesses, rather than just spamming "attack" and "heal" all of the time, like in a lot of traditional RPGs. It's basically mandatory to find out the boss weaknesses, otherwise you're going to get your ass handed to you.
"Game Designed by Hiroyuki Ito". Ahhh, that's why the battle system is soooo good (and not so easy), then :mrgreen:

Anybody after a difficult RPG on the DS, pick this up, it's great fun. Story is neat too.

Also, this is pretty cool of Valve:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/07/va ... -to-steam/

Steam has been getting an increasing number of Japanese titles like Recettear from Carpe Fulgur to most recently a port of ClaDun x2 from NIS America. Marvelous AQL will join the Steam train with Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy, which is slated for release on September 27.

"As I understand it, Valve got in touch with us! They’re keen on giving their users great options on their service and they contacted several Japanese publishers," Marvelous AQL producer Esteban Jose Salazar said to Siliconera. "I was actually hired on after MAQL had decided which game to publish. My first day they told me we’d be doing Half-Minute Hero on Steam and my grin was about a foot wide. I’m a huge fan of both. Valve has made it so easy for us to bring the game to Steam with their constant support and amazing publishing tools. Running development of a game in two languages (English and Japanese) can cause major headaches, but Valve was always prompt and professional in helping us out."

Marvelous AQL has a long list of titles they could bring to Steam like Luminous Arc 3, No More Heroes, and Grand Knights History. I asked Salazar what’s next for Marvelous AQL and Steam? Will we see original games made for PC? Ports of games that didn’t get localized?

"At this point, we are considering our best options. The PC is a killer platform, Steam is a dynamite service, and as long as I’m here I’ll be championing both for our games, old or new. The best things you can do to see more games from us on Steam is pick up this game and let us know you are interested in others. I can’t give you any specific hints, but if the game sells reasonably well, I personally would like to see us doing something *grand* on the PC. I think others would too, but first I have to show my bosses it’s a lucrative platform."

Yes please, to them bringing Grand Knights History. Here's hoping Valve open the floodgates for all of those niche Japanese games making their way over here.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tuffty » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Dorian wrote:
Tuffty wrote:Different though innit? In their case they're playing an already difficult game, having beaten it multiple times already if they're playing on the hardest difficulty possible, purely for the challenge and for the sense of accomplishment in saying 'I did it'. Whereas I'm playing an already difficult game on first playthrough, just to progress but have had numerous stepbacks in the space of an hour during normal play, losing all my souls I gathered and my time.

The point was, you "lost" one lousy hour. Those people lost weeks, months in some cases.

True. But then again, I never said they were the same. Nor did I even make the comparison in the first place. Just venting my frustration at something that happen in DS, that's all.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:54 pm

^I know the feel. It happened to me not too long ago when I played FFXII and SMT: Nocturne back to back...not a good idea, since I got knocked around in both games. Sometimes you just have days like that, where you just do sh!t and make no progress. It's frustrating, but I just put a movie on instead and return to it later.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm

^I just had a day like that, lol. I lost two hours of play in PE1 because I didn't bother to save while thinking there's no challenge here, only to be massacred by a certain boss.

I know how much this sucks. Nobody's perfect. My point was that it's an integral part of playing video games and there's no point in crying over it.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:11 am

So the Ni No Kuni pre-order promotion has already had some stuff added on.
http://www.ninostarter.com/home
They made enough pre-orders so they're adding some art cards to the Wizard's Edition, as well as a small selective soundtrack disc. Nothing huge, but it's still really cool that they're actually adding things because of larger amounts of pre-orders.
It says that the next incentive added would be a golden wizard's coin, which sounds like another nice little bonus. That's if they make the pre-order quota. The gauge seems to indicate that they've made it already, but they haven't updated the page saying anything about it, so I'm not sure.
Regardless, this whole thing is making me like Namco more and more. Pretty cool of them to do all this.

EDIT: Nevermind, clicked the "goals" button and apparently the coin is already a done deal.
Not sure what the third thing will be, but they seem well on their way to it.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:43 am

Dorian wrote: My point was that it's an integral part of playing video games and there's no point in crying over it.

Was an integral part of video games. Now with every game having some kind of checkpoint system, a new game is unlikely to punish you like that for not saving. There will be exceptions of course, but the days of prevalent "risk vs reward" in your progress through games are essentially over.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:46 am

OL wrote: So the Ni No Kuni pre-order promotion has already had some stuff added on.
http://www.ninostarter.com/home
They made enough pre-orders so they're adding some art cards to the Wizard's Edition, as well as a small selective soundtrack disc. Nothing huge, but it's still really cool that they're actually adding things because of larger amounts of pre-orders.
It says that the next incentive added would be a golden wizard's coin, which sounds like another nice little bonus. That's if they make the pre-order quota. The gauge seems to indicate that they've made it already, but they haven't updated the page saying anything about it, so I'm not sure.
Regardless, this whole thing is making me like Namco more and more. Pretty cool of them to do all this.

EDIT: Nevermind, clicked the "goals" button and apparently the coin is already a done deal.
Not sure what the third thing will be, but they seem well on their way to it.

This may turn out to be the best 100$ CE ever.
Don't get me wrong I love the mask and artbook and don't regret my purchase but the Darksiders II CE was a little lazy.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:49 am

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Rakim
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:15 am

So Best Buy is having this promotion thing where they are desperate as hell for your business.
If you preorder then buy said title when it launches they will give you $20 per preorderd game you buy. This season I will be having to get a bunch of games I truely do want right away anyways..

Boarderlands 2
Assassins Creed 3
Resident Evil 6
Halo 4

So in the end ill be getting $80 for buying games I wanted to get anyways making one of them technically free or ill be using that money to get some Vita games like Persona 4: Golden, Ragnarok Odyssey and Assassins Creed: Liberation.
Plus I got all these other gift cards from them so really not spending a whole lot in the initial either.

Yup. Sounds like a plan.

Axm has received a thanks from: KiBa
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:58 am

Had a mate moaning that games are easy now from having a manual save option

All i could reply with is you don't have to use it.

Dorian wrote:
Even Square Enix Admits The PlayStation Era Was The ‘Golden Age of FF

Fixed.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:10 am

Who Really Cares? wrote:
Dorian wrote:
Even Square Enix Admits The PlayStation Era Was The ‘Golden Age of FF

Fixed.

Stating the obvious. You know what a verbal context is?

Martin wrote:Was an integral part of video games. Now with every game having some kind of checkpoint system, a new game is unlikely to punish you like that for not saving. There will be exceptions of course, but the days of prevalent "risk vs reward" in your progress through games are essentially over.

The games I play still have that. Just because the majority of modern games are like you described doesn't mean every game should be like that. The focus is shifting because gaming becomes less about the actual gaming and more about laid-back socializing with friends or family. When something "oldschool" shows up, it turns into a holy grail for those who love challenging games.
Last edited by Dorian on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming