Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Rakim » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Ryudo wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: and this is where I stop taking you seriously about this matter :P

I did you as soon as you mentioned GOW. It's a shallow combat system. Very simple and the only complexity is the QTE. GOW is basically analog and an action button. TLS is a layered RPG with layered combat. Real time strategy,stealth action and TPS elements. If you have trouble with that little spider then damn son you are in for a beating later on. :P

You could even say that AG might be a pussy gamer.

:roll:

Rakim has received a thanks from: OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Rakim wrote:
Ryudo wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: and this is where I stop taking you seriously about this matter :P

I did you as soon as you mentioned GOW. It's a shallow combat system. Very simple and the only complexity is the QTE. GOW is basically analog and an action button. TLS is a layered RPG with layered combat. Real time strategy,stealth action and TPS elements. If you have trouble with that little spider then damn son you are in for a beating later on. :P

You could even say that AG might be a pussy gamer.

:roll:

Nah. Dorian can keep his own BS. But the controls in TLS are simple but layered. Yeah on occasion you roll when you mean to be in cover but that's so minor to call it clunky as hell. I also don't get why he would compare a RPG with a simple action game. Like a racing sim compared to an arcade racer. Or Shenmue to Heavy Rain. Just not in the same cat to even be compared on any level. Maybe another RPG or action RPG then yeah. However no other game out there really like TLS. Personally feel TLS is the best there is. Really evolutionary step. Menus like Square likes are really dated.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Ryudo wrote:

I did you as soon as you mentioned GOW.

God of War is awesome and it has great controls, especially 3. What the hell are you talking about? I never understood your hate towards god of war outside of the fact that you dont like it cause its not based on actual greek myth. But its like someone cant even bring it up with you saying how much you hate it. Have you even played through any of them to confirm your gripes? I some how doubt it. You are quoting game articles or something. Stop it.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 pm

There aren't enough degrees in a circle to give this the eyeroll it deserves...

MiTT3NZ has received 4 thanks from: OL, Rakim, Spokane, St. Elmo's Fire
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:41 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

I did you as soon as you mentioned GOW.

God of War is awesome and it has great controls, especially 3. What the hell are you talking about? I never understood your hate towards god of war outside of the fact that you dont like it cause its not based on actual greek myth. But its like someone cant even bring it up with you saying how much you hate it. Have you even played through any of them to confirm your gripes? I some how doubt it. You are quoting game articles or something. Stop it.

GOW II and the one on PSP chains of something. I don't hate the controls was just saying should not be compared to an RPG. Gow is a simple action game. I only really hate it because the main character is one of the worst in video game history. Up there with GEX and Bubsy. Moronic Douchebag. Not badass in any sense of the word. He is a cry baby overgrown douchebag and a real idiot on top of that.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 am

This Necromancer boss in The Last Story and these controls in this game are really starting to piss me off. I cant figure out the targeting system in this game, but its obvious that zael is targeting enemies and he will jump spiratically from one to another, even to the point where he turns himself 180 degrees around and starts swinging toward an enemy on the other side of the room, why he would try to target that enemy I dont know. In this particular fight its like zael is a pinball bouncing back and forth from target to target, hes not attacking the enemy I want him to, the one right in front of me. Say there are 2 enemies close to me one directly infront of me and one slightly to the side of that enemy, I hit attack and suddenly zael just turns towards the other enemy and starts attacking it... and im pressing forward towards the original enemy in front of me that I want to attack. Why is this game so damn glitchy? And no, its not me, the same thing keeps on happening, I just did that battle about 10 times. Sucks when games frustrate you this bad. :???:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:54 am

YOu don't always have to have Z turned on. Also you can turn off auto attack. Just remember with auto attack he will attack the closest enemy always. Heal circles and overhead strategy should always play a key role. I can't remember in that fight but many fights can take out a shit load of enemies with environment. Also have you stocked up on the right arrows? Some can take those big guys out pretty quickly.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:11 am

auto attack has been turned off. and the necromancer teleports around the map, so my strategy was to use gale to zoom towards him and attack him, just there are so many other monsters summoned and they are attacking you while you are trying to focus on him. Not to mention he has a 3 or 4 second casting time on that bullshit magic spell he does, the other monsters are petrifying you and your party. Everyone is constantly dying, its like the rest of my party isnt doing shit, even when I am issuing commands to them. I am just going to put it down for the day and see how it goes some other time. I'm hooked on the story and characters though :)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:20 am

Well I will just say this. It take a few playthroughs to get all the chapters in the game. It has many chapters you most likely will miss first time through. Oh Book mark this page but don't read the spoiler til you are near the very end...

Dagran going to fuck you up in his final form. So prepare for a long long long battle. Level up til you get to 99 before facing the final two bosses. And these two bosses have I think 2-3 phases. Seriously. Trust me. You will need all the help you can get as you will be short handed.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Rakim » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:57 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8SvAV1q-kA[/youtube]
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Hadn't heard it anywhere else, but I guess Earth Defense Force for the Vita is coming westward:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009M4 ... 3010556011
Sweet ass boxart.

OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm

^Wait WHAT?!

Playing AC 3

I love Hytham, he's fucking great, why is Conner so fucking annoying. I know i' biased but so far connor annoys me the way a "mammy" singing minstrel might annoy Fredrick Douglas.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 pm

^^
I agree that he's annoying, but I don't see it as stemming so much from the "stereotype" angle. For the time period it takes place in, his attitudes might not be too far off-base (as we've discussed elsewhere, you could almost say he ought to be even more extreme). It strikes me not so much as stereotyping, but rather a really awkward attempt at authenticity. Looking at actual quotes and documentation of how the various Indian tribes and their people spoke and acted back then, if one were aiming for authenticity, you're obviously not going to end up with a character like Haytham or Ezio.
The biggest problem is that he has no personality outside of that very shakily "authentic" (and I put that in quotes for good reason) frame of mind. Even in the Homestead missions, when he ought to be a bit more personable, he still comes off as unflinchingly serious, despite the odd smile or two.
They really should have said "to hell with historical authenticity" and just added more life, humor, and overall character to him.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:45 pm

I just feel a bit betrayed again. I mean generally we get this personality of "Hao, look paleface i turn into spirit animal"

I may have said it a million times, but for as different as all the tribes are, theres a kind of kinship and we understand each other in a way and I can tell you Mohawks didn't act like Cooner.

Part of it is my own fault, i figured we'd get a good red skinned protagonist but no one ever really knows what to do with the character because no one really knows anything about us. I mean 99% of the time we're being called Indians (obviously we're not from India) or Native Americans (we lived here waaay before Americo Vespucci was even a gleam in his pappy's eye)

Most people just don't know who we are. So we just become some guy when portrayed in most media.

I'm sorry i know I likely sound like an asshole, its just a very tough topic.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I just feel a bit betrayed again. I mean generally we get this personality of "Hao, look paleface i turn into spirit animal"

I may have said it a million times, but for as different as all the tribes are, theres a kind of kinship and we understand each other in a way and I can tell you Mohawks didn't act like Cooner.

Part of it is my own fault, i figured we'd get a good red skinned protagonist but no one ever really knows what to do with the character because no one really knows anything about us. I mean 99% of the time we're being called Indians (obviously we're not from India) or Native Americans (we lived here waaay before Americo Vespucci was even a gleam in his pappy's eye)

Most people just don't know who we are. So we just become some guy when portrayed in most media.

I'm sorry i know I likely sound like an asshole, its just a very tough topic.

I'm white and just see you as a best friend. Nothing more or less. A good main character should just be a good main character and not try and dance on eggs. :heart:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming