Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:47 pm

I swear you post that just about every time a new shooter is coming out. But yes they all follow the same pattern just like sports titles all do the same thing, Car games do the same thing, Platformers and so on.

I cant remember the last original cover i saw and after so many years it was bound to get like this.

Who Really Cares? has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL, Spokane
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Maybe just me I always loved the all white Final Fantasy covers. We rarely get that in the US. Normally bad CG. XB had a really nice and original cover. The Last Story was not original but hearkened back to old FF covers
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Rakim » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:14 pm

To be fair, here's a list of RPG cliches you can use to counterbalance statements made on the previous page.

1. Sleepyhead Rule
The teenaged male lead will begin the first day of the game by oversleeping, being woken up by his mother, and being reminded that he's slept in so late he missed meeting his girlfriend.
2. "No! My beloved peasant village!"
The hero's home town, city, slum, or planet will usually be annihilated in a spectacular fashion before the end of the game, and often before the end of the opening scene.
3. Thinking With The Wrong Head (Hiro Rule)
No matter what she's accused of doing or how mysterious her origins are, the hero will always be ready to fight to the death for any girl he met three seconds ago.
4. Cubic Zirconium Corollary
The aforementioned mysterious girl will be wearing a pendant that will ultimately prove to be the key to either saving the world or destroying it.
5. Logan's Run Rule
RPG characters are young. Very young. The average age seems to be 15, unless the character is a decorated and battle-hardened soldier, in which case he might even be as old as 18. Such teenagers often have skills with multiple weapons and magic, years of experience, and never ever worry about their parents telling them to come home from adventuring before bedtime. By contrast, characters more than twenty-two years old will cheerfully refer to themselves as washed-up old fogies and be eager to make room for the younger generation.
6. Single Parent Rule
RPG characters with two living parents are almost unheard of. As a general rule, male characters will only have a mother, and female characters will only have a father. The missing parent either vanished mysteriously and traumatically several years ago or is never referred to at all. Frequently the main character's surviving parent will also meet an awkward end just after the story begins, thus freeing him of inconvenient filial obligations.
7. Some Call Me... Tim?
Good guys will only have first names, and bad guys will only have last names. Any bad guy who only has a first name will become a good guy at some point in the game. Good guys' last names may be mentioned in the manual but they will never be referred to in the story.
8. Nominal Rule
Any character who actually has a name is important in some way and must be sought out. However, if you are referred to as a part of a posessive noun ("Crono's Mom") then you are superfluous.
9. The Compulsories
There's always a fire dungeon, an ice dungeon, a sewer maze, a misty forest, a derelict ghost ship, a mine, a glowing crystal maze, an ancient temple full of traps, a magic floating castle, and a technological dungeon.
10. Luddite Rule (or, George Lucas Rule)
Speaking of which, technology is inherently evil and is the exclusive province of the Bad Guys. They're the ones with the robots, factories, cyberpunk megalopolises and floating battle stations, while the Good Guys live in small villages in peaceful harmony with nature. (Although somehow your guns and/or heavily armed airships are exempted from this.)

Click link below to read the rest of the super long list:
http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

I like both RPGs and this list so I hope you'll enjoy it as well.

Rakim has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Well yeah but what does that have to do with box covers? Where are you guys getting the notion I was talking about the games themselves? It's just the covers.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: I swear you post that just about every time a new shooter is coming out. But yes they all follow the same pattern just like sports titles all do the same thing, Car games do the same thing, Platformers and so on.

I cant remember the last original cover i saw and after so many years it was bound to get like this.

Well 2k sometimes goes alittle overboard when it comes to making something fit marketing wise, when I looked up Spec Ops, they forced multiplayer on em.

and I once caught a glimpse of the original boxart and it was really cool, I'm actually kinda sad they didn't go with it

Its too bad marketing peeps just go with one of a handful of styles. Back in the day you could take a game off the wall because the box was interesting (and with my dad and megaman because you think the boxart is utter shit and makes you laugh)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Game and this ugly little dude arrived :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaOQzfMHShw[/youtube]
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:43 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Kenny wrote:Blah blah

I made my peace with Axm, I explained what I meant, and talked to him about stuff and fun and why he feels the way he does. If my words come out badly, then i clarify, apologize for when I'm wrong or harsh or just being bull headed. I respect the opinions and views of everyone here (even Joka) which is why I've gone out of my way to understand their gaming habits, try out things they recommend and when they're feeling low try to give a pat on the back. Nah I'm not perfect and I can seem like an elitist prick, hell I won't even act like I'm not a prick in general but atleast I'm a prick you can talk sense to. If you want to keep pointing out my posts for really asinine reasons fine, but you're equally as guilty of lording your opinion around as fact, which is what I was trying to get at in the DMC thread.

Actually, I haven't. I already explained the "judging blindly" thing which is not an opinion and I still maintain that the fanboys are full of crap which is not a fact.

I knew you guys already patched things up but I wanted to say my piece cause i'm not gonna let people tell me off just because I pointed out something in the interest in pursuing a civil discussion. I'd be much different if I told you off first.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:37 am

Don't you realize that your labeling people as fanboys for having opinions that don't match up with yours?

Look at OL, I don't think it was ever about the gameplay to be honest, but he's always been pretty critical of the new direction of Devil May Cry, because from the very first trailer they showed there was an aesthetic change that was big enough that people who did play the games didn't like it.

When I said you didn't know much about the games, I think I mucked up what i meant. Its more about why people play the game, and in this it is twofold. One group plays the games because of a certain technical standard. These people knew from the first video that the standard wouldn't be met. Its not blind hate if everything, down to the smallest details like input lag actually ended up being in the playable demo of a game that comes out in only a month and a half.

The second reason, as OL and Tuff have discussed at length, is the aesthetic point and is actually the reason I personally won't play the game. I just don't like the new protagonist and thats all it takes. I gave it a chance, despite knowing from the start that I was going to dislike him aesthetically. Playing the demo didn't really change my opinion of him, he's still obnoxious, so i could have judged him from the trailers and still decided the game wasn't going to give me what i wanted.

Now we get down to this word you keep, throwing around. fanboy, incredibly condescending don't you think? Fanboys judging this and fanboys judging that. You are not a fanboy and are thus

"(I don't have to say IMO everytime, everything I say is an opinion unless I state otherwise) "

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:40 am

Guy #1 I don't lke this new direction looks awful to me.
Guy #2 shut up you fanboy blind hater
Guy#3 I don't like this either but will play it to make sure but have heavy doubts
Guy #2 shut up fanboy blind hater
Guy #4 The writing seems really bad. I prefer to have the dante I like back.
guy # 2 shut up fanboy blind hater
Guys #3,4 -Demo did not instill much confidence
Guy #2 shut up fanboy blind hater

Maybe just me but Guy #2 sounds like the real fanboy being overly defensive
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 am

Only guy 2 is not really posting like that ;-)

Hell you even said it would be a decent game if it was a new IP but because it has the DMC name on it its shit.
Sorry but it was clear that you would not like the game no matter what from the moment you saw it. I mean didn't you edit the DMC topic to another name just to hate on this version? I looked and OL felt the need to edit it back saying

DmC stands for Devil May Cry. It sounds like you're saying "Fuck Devil May Cry", as in the entire series itself.

You do realize that it's possible to give a topic a broad title that explains the subject, then discuss issues on that subject within the topic itself, right?
All this "fuck this, fuck that" stuff is pretty unnecessary in the titles themselves, especially since not everyone is going to share the exact same sentiments as you.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Kenny
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:megaman because you think the boxart is utter shit and makes you laugh

HEY, I JAPANESE HERRO, I SAVE DAYU U RESPECT DAT

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:25 am

Jesus fucking christ on a butter pole! Asura's Wrath is god damn amazing! I been a fan of Cyber connect2 for just a little while now but I love how it's an anime as a game. They do it so fucking well. Also Asuras would fuck Kratos in the ass hard. If I remember right OL said have to get the DLC to get the full story. sucks capcom made them do that. Just damn playing a guy who destroys gods the size of earth.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Tuffty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 am

Who Really Cares? wrote:Hell you even said it would be a decent game if it was a new IP but because it has the DMC name on it its shit.

I've said the gameplay would be fine if it was from a new IP, but it's not good enough to hold up to the standards that previous DMC games have done. I've also said that even if it was a new IP, I'd still find Dante to be an annoying twat.

I've already talked about my impressions on Forza Horizon, great driving game, loved it, but the music in it is awful. I can forgive one track by The Enemy or Lost Prophets, but two? Fuck off. DJ's are embarrassing too. I got mildly excited before I got the game because I was hoping it would give me the same feelings that I got from Metropolis Street Racer or Project Gotham Racing 2. To explain, each city in those games not only had songs that you wouldn't hear anywhere else, but the music would play music from their native country, with the singers and the DJ's themselves speaking in their native language e.g. the DJ's would speak in Swedish when driving a track in Stockholm. I could never understand what they were saying, but I loved that because it really gave each location a sense of place and atmosphere that made them enjoyable to come back to. If the music can be heard at any point, anywhere, then it just makes the tracks interchangeable and doesn't really make me care. No other game has been able to do that, even PGR4 went with a lame soundtrack that you could play across all the track locations.

So anyway to cut a long story short, to combat the annoying radio stations in Horizon, I downloaded the MSR soundtrack and now have it playing during gameplay instead. It's odd, the MSR soundtrack is all songs made for that game and they are so cheesy and bad, but it just holds so much nostalgia for me that I love it. Also, only realised it now, but a lot of the songs are about sex. Double entendres and innuendo galore :lol: Anyway, how could you not love 'Let's Get It On Tonight', the Will Smith sounding wannabee?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwTTYohb-is[/youtube]

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:02 am

Cant remember the last racing game to have a good OST? But yeah the DJ thing was cool in MSR[Hey Sega another game you should think about a HD port]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Tuffty
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming