Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 pm

I loved the game. The first third of it, at least. Act 2 was pretty good, and the third we shall not speak of ever again. It broke my heart and was a huge middle finger to me.

Never felt so pwned in my life.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Axm
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Thief » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm

The long version if you don't mind. I'm really curious because although I don't remember much of the game, I do remember enjoying it.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:50 pm

Thief wrote: The long version if you don't mind. I'm really curious because although I don't remember much of the game, I do remember enjoying it.

are you sure, it'll be pretty long. I can't speak for OL or Ryudo but I've got a lot of reasons to dislike it even though I dislike it way less then either of them.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Thief » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 pm

The more reasons the better, that is assuming you don't mind telling. The best reviews to read are the ones that are extremely critical.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Been awhile since I played it. So can only give highlights. Controls of just QTE's are terrible. Cage spoils the game in the first few minutes with a virtual version of himself. Or maybe that was the demo can't remember. Then the story just falls apart in this wierd shit. The sex scene was so forced and once again a cage game sex scene shows his perversion. Then the giant office bugs. It just became a farce. Not a funny comedy but more like a 11 year old kid trying to re enact a Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer film by himself and is half retarded. To this day it's the worst thing I ever played and destroyed the game.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

Can't decide which Vita bundle to get this weekend.Target has a deal going on when you buy the Black Ops Declassified bundle you get a $50 gift which I can use towards another game or something else.While Best Buy has the Assassins Creed bundle with no deal.

AC Bundle Pros
White Vita
Assassins Creed

BO Bundle pros
50$ gift card after purchase
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am

Your avatar is telling you the right answer
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

Well Fahrenheit is perhaps one of gaming's biggest problems. Its not so much that its bad, as a game it isn't terrible it works most of the time, but its full of such pretentious bullshit that its hard to take the game seriously.

The first thing was how they sold the game. They hyped it as a TPS but thats not really what it is, but I remember even watching an E3 show where they compared it to Max Payne(which was what got me excited).

So this is all "expectations", granted they kind of brought this upon themselves by hyping it a certain way, it dosen't explain why I got annoyed when booting up the game.

But there was one more pre-release mistake.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9ke7ohkv4[/youtube]

Yea....where to start here. This game designer decided to jump into the game, having his team use time and money making this demo where he teaches you to press buttons. I mean this guy claims he invented QTEs (which he calls soothing stupid like interactive events) and actually believes this is a new genre (Hello Dragon's Lair)

then there comes the story (which I don't remember too well, but considering its like 2$ on gog i might beat it again for shits and giggles) but I remember pretty distinctly that the story makes no effing sense. Its like, he was made to kill someone, but then he didn't, but no he did, but now he's having sex?

You know Heavy Rain is basically the same game now that I actually think about the story, even the pacing because doesn't the sex scene happen like halfway through?

See thats part of what makes this all a problem. If David Cage keeps saying something people just kind of assume its true. Did he invent QTEs? Are there games with multiple endings? Also isn't his entire view on game design completely anti actual y;know game design.

I need to replay the game to get into the specific story stuff but I'll cut myself off on the implications of its actual creation.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Thief
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awa_ZhEBWv4[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:15 am

Ryudo wrote: The sex scene was so forced and once again a cage game sex scene shows his perversion.

Yeah, that was really really bad. So ridiculous. :mrgreen:

I wonder why Cage and Molyneux haven't teamed up yet. Seems like a natural partnership.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 am

Yeah I'm a cop hunting you down and this is crazy but i think i love you not to mention at that time

His dead

And in HR its nothing else matters i must find my son!

Want sex?

Sure!

Riku Rose wrote: Just beat The Walking Dead and it's one of the most fantastic games I have played in years. If I did a top 10 list of all time it would be in there.

Think i would have to say that is my GOTY.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:16 am

I'll just kind of hit the bullet points for the IP hate.

-As Segata mentioned, the level of pretention seeping out of every bit of it is nauseating as hell. I don't need the director to have himself rendered into the game, just to tell me how great his game is. This is the very definition of being up one's own ass.

-The QTE's make absolutely no sense from a control standpoint. Look at the ones in Shenmue; they follow a certain logic. If Ryo is going to throw a punch in a QTE, chances are the button you have to press will be the same one you'd hit to punch during the free battle mode.
In IP, this logic is nowhere to be found. QTE's are relegated entirely to thumbstick control, and basically just go in random patterns while a video plays. It's not an interactive cinema scene, as you'd find in Shenmue; it's just a cutscene where you have to fling the thumbsticks around for no reason. It's lazy and dumb.

-The stealth bits are just flat-out awful. Truly the worst stealth sequences I've ever played. I don't remember the specifics, I just remember for the first time feeling like I was absolutely wasting my life playing this crappy videogame.

-There's almost no aesthetic congruity throughout the entire thing. It'll first try to present itself as some kind of mature thriller, then it'll have an idiotic sequence where two characters are literally kung fu fighting in a sparring ring, then it'll have giant bugs chasing the main character through an office building, then it'll have something involving Mayan prophecies in a museum, then it'll have ancient energy beings flying around Matrix-style in another kung fu fight. It's about as idiotically random as can be.

-Necrophelia.

You know, I think the worst thing about it is that it has certain elements that legitimately could have been great.
The initial concept of the main character being possessed into killing someone, and later finding out that it was done in an insanely precise way, severing each individual artery connecting the heart to the rest of the body...
That's really cool. The idea of it tying in to the method of Mayan sacrifice or something makes it seem even cooler.
And I do remember a couple of sequences that felt like they should have been more affecting to me; one involved the main character visiting some old woman in her apartment on a snowy day, the other involved him searching a library for something or another. Something about those two instances just struck me as having great potential for atmosphere. But they ultimately failed, because the rest of the game was just so damn poor. The context killed them both entirely.

It's just a truly bad game. I don't say that often at all, because most games have at least some merit to them. But IP is just poorly-made trash. It starts out okay, but very, very quickly abandons anything it could have done right.

OL has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Segata Sanshiro Jr., Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 am

It bugged me they showed the possessed killing right at the start. You should have woken up next to the dead body rather than seeing right at the start it wasn't really you.

And yes the QTE's are just a mess and the mid air combat just looked fucking retarded. Cage is a shit story teller [hey lets have 2 guys play basketball out in the freezing cold just because!] and has bought nothing new to video games.

He didn't create QTE's The very first game to do that was released in the 70s for crying out loud. I really would love to see an interviewer call him out on all his bullshit one day but its not going to happen.

Its one of those games that simply needed a decent writer but instead you just get a load of bullshit ideas chucked in without anyone saying does this fit the game?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:55 am

They need to release an editor's cut so all the ridiculous shit's cut out and we get an ending to the story it began with.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 am

With Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain and Omikron, I really think one should look at the positives rather than the negatives. We all know the storytelling is bad. But so is on a lot of other games.

The QTE was bad in Fahrenheit, but I really dug mimicking the actions of the character, like you'd do later with HR. I played it on the PC so perhaps it was better there than with the analogs. But at least he was doing something different.

I think his works, rather than being looked at like commercial products were the labour of a pretentious lunatic, if you want to call him that, but that at least tried to do things differently, tried to pick up the format of a video game, but didn't make them from a fixed genre. People get very angry at his stories, but I think that's beside the point, really.

They're not great games, but they were great experiences in game-making. I think, with all of them, with what he tried to implement, all had very novel concepts in it, that people didn't pick up because they were so unfazed by the narrative. If they were less story-heavy and drew more from the gameplay they'd be classics.

Vyse Hazuky has received a thanks from: Thief
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming