The Expendables 2

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Expendables 2

Postby Ziming » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:57 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmnyMPxsAUc[/youtube]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:44 am

The lack of Li in the trailers makes me sure his going to be killed off early :sad: Not that its a real loss as he was poorly used in the first film.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am

Didn't post last night since I got home late. Probably fair to say if you liked the first, you'll love the second. These films were never going to be about character development, but as soon as the second starts and you see everyone doing their thing you can sit back and enjoy the ride.

I'll assume everyone here has already seen it and just mention the new additions. Van Damme plays a great villain, first and foremost. Surprisingly, he didn't get a huge amount of screen time. You first meet him when he confronts the Expendables team. Doesn't play it overly eccentric but is a very intimidating character and gets to show off his kicks very well in fight scenes with Stallone.

Essentially, Schwarneggar is more of a glorified cameo than a feature role. This is not a showcase of his glorious return to acting. Mostly delivers blunt one-liners. I'd say his performance in the first film alone is better than the whole of what he did in Exp 2.

Norris has the same short end of the stick. It's a very over-the-top lone wolf type of thing. I get the feeling if most people aren't aware of his work in the past, it's quite forgettable.

Nan Yu was the biggest surprise. She joins the team early on and never feels out of place as a woman in a man's world. I also liked how there wasn't any masochism towards her as if she wasn't capable. Dolph flirts with her allot leading to some comic relief. I hope she comes back for the third film.

Same for Hemsworth, as a dependable rookie. Probably brings as much as the 'human element' to this film as did the General's daughter or Mickey Rourke from the first film.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:40 am

Yea, in the theater when Hemsworth told the story, since mostly everyone was with us (we went as a group) they started a Manny chant. I have stories worse then the stupid dog scene. I understand not everyone has had the experiences I have, its a really weak story that essentially becomes 'some guys died in a war". That said he was the weakest thing to me.

I was disappointed they didn't get to far into the obscure jokes with Norris. There were some doozies that you wouldn't get unless you've seen some of the crap he's pumped out but sadly no Octagon reference (If you're into cheesy action movies The Octagon is amazing because Chuck Norris has this echoing whisper for all his inner thoughts that says some of the most asinine and awkwardly hilarious shit ever.)

Van Dammme was AMAZING in a shitty Van Damme kinda way. I loved like everything about his character from his mannerisms and outfit to his action scenes I loved him as a bad guy, I'm totally ripping off 99% of his character one day and putting him in a game as an anti-hero.

I actually liked Trench as a character, but I think I'd enjoy it a bit more if he had his own team I think it'd give hi that lil bit of a boost he needs to be relevant.

Thats about all i have to say I really enjoyed it, was a junkfood kinda movie. Makes me wish a game could capture the same kind of feel.

Who Really Cares? wrote:The lack of Li in the trailers makes me sure his going to be killed off early :sad: Not that its a real loss as he was poorly used in the first film.

He is, but he gets a really good fight scene before he disappears.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Axm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:00 am

I only want to see this movie for Norris and Willis. Would that be worth it?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 am

Axm wrote:I only want to see this movie for Norris and Willis. Would that be worth it?

They're both just cameos. If you're really into Noorris you'll get some obscure references but he's only in like 3 scenes, same for Willis.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:55 pm

I thought it was pretty enjoyable but there were a lot of dull moments. At least the jokes were actually funny this time.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonikku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:28 am

I might give this one a look, I'm not sure. One thing I am rather amused of is how all the negative reviews are all

"It's big, dumb, loud and over the top."

while all the positive reviews are like

"It's big, dumb, loud and over the top."

:lol:

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:29 pm

How are the special effects? They looked pretty shit in many areas on BD in the first film.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:How are the special effects? They looked pretty shit in many areas on BD in the first film.

Laughable. CG is used in place of physical sets most times. One example was a tram cart in a cave.

On the other hand the rating back to R allowed a lot more blood. Nothing as bad as a pirate being blown in half but there were some brutal headshots..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Just watched it today and laughed the whole way through. From the very beginning it's none stop action, definitely worth one watch, just have a laugh and definitely don't take it seriously. I was disappointed with a few fight scenes, the finale being the most disappointing but there were definitely enough to make up for it.

Obviously from the start we knew it was going to be a shit plot and barely make any sense and that's what we got but we thoroughly enjoyed it despite all that!
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Off Topic