Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 pm

A few have called for this, and i certainly dont see a problem creating a topic for it. I mean after all, we are the Shenmue Dojo! :D

So in case a few reading this dont understand the origins of this topic, what happened last week was a potentially revolutionary move in video gaming, where an independent company raised funds from the general public (though a funding platform website called Kickstarter) and will now develop a game using those funds. This may seem like nothing majorly radical, or completely out of the ordinary, but what makes it somewhat innovative is that instead of reaching the $400,000 target the company had set itself, it past the $1million mark in just over 24 hours and as of now with still 29 days of fundraising left, its about to hit the $2million mark. If you would like to read more about the project, you can follow the link, HERE

Almost as soon as news broke of the amount Double Fine had raised in 24 hours, we were discussing the possibility of applying the same process to Shenmue (which you can view HERE.) Even though there may be a lot of serious complications regarding the franchises business and cultural roots of a future donation service taking place to aid the development of a future Shenmue release, it certainly wouldnt be of any harm to garner some sort of support level Shenmue would get, in terms of donations from both the Shenmue community, and also the entire gaming community. Some people look at the figures Double Fine have raised so far, and really believe that this method could provide the most realistic chance of ultimately seeing the release of a Shenmue III one day. IGN even took the liberty of including a "develop Shenmue III" option in an article & online poll, in relation to which projects should be funded in the same manner Double Fine have embarked. Currently at the time of writing this, its a clear winner, taking a third of the votes. (You can view the article and poll HERE.)

But just to be clear, this is just a hypothetical topic designed to gather a feedback of who would donate to a Shenmue Kickstarter project, and also how much? There are no current plans by Yu Suzuki, or anyone here of starting up such a campaign. But whos to say there may not be one in the future. Double Fines donators have discussed both the company and its future games within their own community, and i would like to think that if ever there was a legitimate push for Shenmue to be "kickstarted", then naturally it would be here at the Dojo where the hub of online discussion would take place.

So would you donate to a Shenmue project? How much... per week/month/year? Would you like a Shenmue HD port to download markets, or just a stand alone Shenmue III. Who knows what could happen, but maybe if we made enough noise.... someone out there may hear us.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:29 pm

First off, thank you for making this topic.

Secondly I would have no problems donating $100 to start it off and something like $20 a month for a few months. I guess I would judge it based on how much would be already donated. Now this would go towards either a remake, port, or Shenmue III for current or next gen consoles.

Realistically I feel this has great potential to work, considering people that have never even played Shenmue may hear the campaign or story and chip in for a good cause. We are not the only community out there. Think of the additional thousands who have posted over the years, but do not anymore simply because there is no real news. I am sure if they heard they would be more than willing to invest in seeing the end of the series.

There are a ton of small groups on other more relevant social media sites like facebook and twitter that may also be interested. Hell I think there are 3 facebook sites that have 11,000, 5,000, and 3,000 fans fans respectively. The more other fans know, the more the word can spread.

Also think about a world wide audience. Those who know no English or love the game but would have no interest in going to internet forums. We here may only be the most minimal fraction of people willing to donate.

Is there some type of account that could be held for a set number of months that would automatically refund money back to the people who donated electronically if it were to be unsuccessful? Now I have no real idea how those things work so please no one scold me for suggesting it, just a thought.

I just feel like people would be more willing to put in to something that they would get something back on, either the game itself or at least their donation.

This topic is a great idea. People who are coming here to just talk about how it wouldn't work, you aren't really helping. We have a slim chance of getting this to actually be successful, so I see no reason in at least pretending to be positive. This could be one of our last chances to see the ending to this game, the longer we wait the less chance we have. so why not give some effort? 8)
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Over time and funds permitting I'd probably give up to $500 if it guaranteed me a copy of Shenmue 3 (in which case purchasing that for another 50 would seem immaterial).

Once (well...if) I get a baller job making bank I could see myself giving up a 1-2k for Shenmue 3. That seems a bit much for a video game but it's a worthy investment in my book. Of course, this is hypothetical. I wouldn't give up rent or grocery money over a video game, this is only if I had a decent amount of disposable income to my name (which at this point in my life I certainly do not)
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:41 pm

You know, this is actually a good idea. If double fine's new point a click game garnered over a million in just one day, god knows how much Shenmue would gather. Shenmue 3 is pretty much one of the most wanted games not currently in existence. I guess the only big difference though, is that Double Fine was on board with this and it was somewhat official. The biggest complication would be "Who get's the money if Sega/Yu don't accept it"?

But if we could find a solution to that problem, and get a single central donation platform to which all Shenmue fans could feel secure donating to, well, I think this could go through the roof and do incredibly well. It would also get a huge amount of press for the game too.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:51 pm

I would donate if is to make Shenmue 3 but not if is for HD port of Shenmue 1 & 2. I already played them thousands of times. I'm just interested in getting Shenmue 3 done. I'm wiling to give $500 the first time and after that $100 every month.

But I'm only donating if Yu Suzuki is the one accepting the money.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby mue 26 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:53 pm

lol, you must ballin out here, Intruder!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:55 pm

mue 26 wrote:lol, you must ballin out here, Intruder!

What is ballin means? lool
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby mue 26 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:08 pm

mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:12 pm

I would, as much as I could. Small sums over time.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Yip. Whenever I get on SSI. I did before. Want a long motherfucking post? Sorry you're disappointed .
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Stocke » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm just a poor university student.
I'd pay the minimum amount to get the game once it's made, and then whatever i think i could afford on the side.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:31 pm

^ That would be rich to me compared to what I make.

0$ a month.
The Uni student does not fly that well here as being poor. When I had a job I had to SAVE UP to be poor. Now I have to save up just to be in poverty
:lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 am

I hate it, I actually make about -3,000 a month because of college tuition. That's even after the money I make at my job. Student Loans are good...yet horrible.

Yet like everyone here I know when it comes down to it I can pull out some cash for the game it may require cutting some living expenses, or hooking on the corner, but it will be done. :D

Where do we go from here? :-k
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 am

First thing is join Team Yu https://twitter.com/#!/TeamYu
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:16 am

Ok it is done, and is someone going to post the information he needs?
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III