Assassins Creed Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Assassins Creed Series

Postby Calshot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 am

Ryudo wrote: I really want to play ACIII but right now holding off getting too many games. Taking game buying slow right now as TBH a bit burned speed collecting. Also trying to save money. Getting Xmas gifts early for my mom and family. That said AC1 looks to buggy for me. So can I start with ACII and skip over the Rev/brotherhood? Most likely pick these up later down the line unless I crack. Also looks like a fun game for my Vita and want to give my vita some love(FUCK ME I LOVE MY VITA..ehem sorry)

I think you can safely skip Assassin's Creed 1. It gets repetitive and it feels somewhat lifeless. I wouldn't skip Brotherhood/Revelations if I were you. Though they aren't numbered, they're both fully fledged titles that directly continue the plot.

If you jumped directly from Assassin's Creed 2 to Assassin's Creed 3, you'd be pretty lost.

Calshot has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Tuffty » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:10 am

While I enjoyed AC1, I can definately understand why people wouldn't, especially if they burned through it over a weekend or something. For me, play 2 and Brotherhood. Revelations is a fond farewell to Altair and Ezio but in terms of contributing to the over arching plot, it doesn't really give that much. Revelations is a fun game, just very similiar to Brotherhood that if you come into it so soon after playing Brotherhood, you might feel burned out earlier than you would like.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:17 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6oT_WXazvg[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Ryudo wrote: I really want to play ACIII but right now holding off getting too many games. Taking game buying slow right now as TBH a bit burned speed collecting. Also trying to save money. Getting Xmas gifts early for my mom and family. That said AC1 looks to buggy for me. So can I start with ACII and skip over the Rev/brotherhood? Most likely pick these up later down the line unless I crack. Also looks like a fun game for my Vita and want to give my vita some love(FUCK ME I LOVE MY VITA..ehem sorry)

I can safetly say that you're doing the right thing.ACIII has a lot of extra side stuff for you to do.As for ACI,skip it .Watch play throughs on youtube if you're curious.The story was good but extremly repetitive.I'm sure you'll enjoy the series. :)

*is jealous...* I want a vita...

As for ACIII,loving it.Only downside are the bugs and glitches.I'm certain a feather glitched out to a place that's unreachable in the frontier.And since I don't have internet atm at my place I can't download the patch.

Samanosuke Akechi has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 pm

ACIII setting has really got me. I will have to wait til the price goes down.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 am

Loving AC3; the gameplay changes/additions are great, and I'd gladly take an entire game based around the naval warfare missions. They should have kept those a secret before the game was released. I would have been floored if I knew nothing about them beforehand.

It is really noticeably buggy though, mostly when it comes to the graphics. Another patch is needed. Badly.
And I hate to say it, but I just don't like Connor. He's about as bland as can be from a personality standpoint, and when he starts arguing with people or acting tough, he just comes off as... well, kind of annoying. He has absolutely none of the charm and swagger that made Ezio so immediately fun and likable, and his voice actor does little to help matters, coming off as incredibly stiff and inexperienced most of the time (unlike Roger Craig Smith's excellent performance as Ezio, which is among my favorite VA performances ever).
As interested as I am in Native American cultures and characters, I'm just surprised that I find Connor so... "blah". Thought I was going to like him more.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 am

User impressions have put me off the game. Might pick it up when its dirt cheap and had the main issues patched.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Axm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Completely agree OL. Seems like they didnt want to show too much emotion with Connor, as if trying to not offend anyone who would claim generalizations or racism on fox news. So instead we get someone low key and too cool for school.
But atleast I dont dislike him thats for sure. He can be very fitting to the fake role he plays in all these historicly acurate events.

Bugs aside this game is a step in the right direction for the series. 1 was bland and too repetative, 2 was a huge improvement but at times felt like a chore. 3 refines every department and you couldnt feel more like you're a part of history.
The hunting and naval battles alone could indeed been their own spin off game.
Im on chapter 8 now and am about to get to new york. Cant wait to get off work everyday to play this.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Can't disagree more with the AC1 haters. Whilst I can acknowledge the fact that it can get boring and repetitive, it is definitely not one to skip. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have loved the original's successors as much if I hadn't played the first... first... (I hate it when that happens...)

Anyway, even if you don't play it for the game itself, it's worth picking up for the story and the sheer beauty of the environments. I can recall just sitting on my bed not even playing through the game, just climbing to the highest spots to get the best views possible.

Don't settle on skipping it just yet. I'd say it's vital that you play through it in order to appreciate the other games. Although it makes Revelations rather unsettling hearing Altair's voice (I understand why they changed it, but I loved everything about AC1's Altair)

Oh, and another reason to get it... There was a spin-off for the PSP that involved Altair. I'm not sure if the Vita's BC, but if it is, you'll probably want to get that one too.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, Perfect_Chaos
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Axm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Ah dont get me too wrong about AC1. It was a good game and the story is indeed its strong point. But now comparing it to AC3 is like comparing a Honda Civic to a Nissan GTR. The Civic is the first car you had that got the job done well but then you grew up, hit the lotto and youre balling out of control.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Yes, which is why it's essential to start with the first one. I began playing Splinter Cell games with Pandora Tomorrow (the second game in the series), and went on from there. Eventually I wanted to play the original, but was so used to the later games it made the first unplayable.

It will be the same case here.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Calshot
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 pm

The threads I've been reading about AC3 on other forums have been getting awfully grim sounding recently. The talk all sounded positive at first, but it seems that the more people have played the more frustrated with the game they become. The main problems seem to be that it's a huge and beautifully built world, but everything else (gameplay structure, mechanics, secondary quests) is really bad, especially for such a big budget, long developed game. People have been saying it's more reminiscent of AC1 than AC2 :(

Hmm, but the reviews have been pretty solid, so I'm taking all of this negativity with a pinch of salt for now, and I hope it's not all true.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 pm

They must be super picky. I havent finished the game yet but its a solid 9/10 or 4.5/5 for me so far. Gameplay, side missions and everything else extra is imo some of the best parts. Then the main story is just infinitely better then the last two combined imo. Ya he's no Ezio, but thats like saying theirs no rocket straped to your jet pack.

Axm has received a thanks from: mue 26
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Mom has a Civic almost 10 years old now. Damn Honda makes great cars. I'm not blind on AC1. I watched Video Games Awesome playthrough and while I was only watching the game looks so unfinished. More than just rough. More like a unfinished mess with many cool elements. ACII looked closer to the finished project. AC1 looks more beta
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:09 am

So I'm curious about this AC: Ezio Trilogy that's apparently being released for PS3.
http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-E ... evelations
Everything I look up on it says that AC2 includes "all downloadable content," but doesn't specify whether it's on the disc or just a voucher.
If it's on the disc, I may just have to get it.
Ah, who'm I kidding. I might get it anyway just to look pretty on my shelf.

EDIT: And Japan seems to be getting an even better collection:

http://www.ubisoft.co.jp/ac3/eziosaga/index.html
All three games, a six-disc complete soundtrack, and the full AC Encyclopedia.
Damn Japanese. Even with games made in the west, they still get the cooler LE's and swag.

OL has received a thanks from: Tuffty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming