The Game Of Thrones TV topic

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

Postby OL » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm starting to get the impression I'm the only one here who doesn't watch this show... :lol:
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:52 pm

^A few boring storylines aside, you're missing out on the awesome shit.

sand4fish wrote:
Sonikku wrote: Fuck the dragonglass! :shock:

Somebody could tell me if there's any difference between dragonglass and valyrian steel? In that last episode apparently Jon used the sword Lord commander Mormont gave to him (made of Valyrian steel), and it had the same effect dragonglass had on the walkers. Are they of the same material, just different names?

I have to watch it again, but dragonglass shattered this time?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:26 pm

^ No, I believe none of them had the chance to use it. It was all lost in that cabin where Jon and the Walker were fighting if my memory doesn't fail me.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Well, this last episode pretty much made me hate the show and I'm all but done with it. I'll likely continue reading the books but not watch the show.

Basically with the death of Shireen. This deviation from the books served absolutely no purpose other than to apply "shock value" and to otherwise be emotionally manipulative. When I can see the frame-work and the deliberate choices made in order to create buzz, well, I just don't think I care anymore. This whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't like being manipulated this way, so I won't. Fuck you show.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Calshot, Chaos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Thief wrote: Well, this last episode pretty much made me hate the show and I'm all but done with it. I'll likely continue reading the books but not watch the show.

Basically with the death of Shireen. This deviation from the books served absolutely no purpose other than to apply "shock value" and to otherwise be emotionally manipulative. When I can see the frame-work and the deliberate choices made in order to create buzz, well, I just don't think I care anymore. This whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't like being manipulated this way, so I won't. Fuck you show.

Watch HBO Inside the Episode. You'll be done with everything.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Vome » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:16 pm

It's all a lot to swallow, let alone digest. But
I'd say that Game of Thrones nonetheless is an
undertaking worth applauding for its
audacity if not always for its overall senses
of direction or cohesion.
Vome
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:39 am

I'm done with the show if what happened in end of this season finale will remain the way it is. I understand they are trying to go "as would happen in real life" route, but for that I got the news... thank you. Proper storytelling has resolution for their characters, not make them "disappear" whenever their story arch gets complex or just for the sake of shock value.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 am

sand4fish wrote: I'm done with the show if what happened in end of this season finale will remain the way it is. I understand they are trying to go "as would happen in real life" route, but for that I got the news... thank you. Proper storytelling has resolution for their characters, not make them "disappear" whenever their story arch gets complex or just for the sake of shock value.

That's pretty much how Game of Thrones is. It's like George R.R. Martin doesn't know how to conclude something so he just gets rid of characters so he doesn't have to. I first started noticing this shit with the death of
Rob Stark
and when I realized that season 2 (or book 2) was essentially a big waste of time.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, sand4fish
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:43 pm

Why even bother naming badass swords like Longclaw and make it sound important (handed down from elite families, made of valyrian steel that shatters White Walkers) if a character can't wield it for more than a couple of events before Martin is done with him/her? Is that who I am supposed to be connected to and cheer for, the sword? Well, at least there's no shock value if it "dies".
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:12 pm

So basically what you guys are saying is that I'm totally justified in not watching the show. :lol:
These are the exact reasons I haven't so far; I always got the impression from the little bit I saw and the tons that I (unwillingly) hear about it that it's all a bunch of cheap shock value character deaths and whatnot.
I've never been into that kinda stuff. The Walking Dead is the exact same way.
When the author of your books is best known for the fact that he kills off all of his characters without warning (I've seen bumper stickers attributed to that fact), I have a hard time believing that we're talking about worthwhile storytelling here.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Im assuming everyone in here either knows whats happened or doesnt care but come on.... The Red Woman? Jon Snow? Lady Stoneheart? Beric Dondarrian being a red priest...... You dont need an etch-a-sketch to work it out.....

Least thats what i am assuming. I havent read the books either past Storm of Swords.

Peter has received a thanks from: Joe Pesci
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Chaos » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:14 pm

I just finished reading all the books a couple nights ago. Just watched the season finale this morning.

What the fuck are they doing with this show now lmao. The first 3 seasons were so good when they were mostly following the book. ](*,) This last season was just such a huge pile of horse shit.

also
get fucked jon snow

and please don't actually be dead stannis

stannis 4 life
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Im curious as to led the mutiny on Snow. I know Thorne took the lead, but i liked Ser Alister.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:36 am

I don't get all of this "IT'S ALL OUT OF NO WHERE FOR SHOCK VALUE" is coming from.

Robb: Was on the losing end of the war with the lannisters, good man, idealistic, honorable to a fault, cost him half his army in desertion. The Freys blew off their alliance and off him for not following through with the arranged marriage as an excuse when the saw the way the wind was blowing.
Ned Stark: Idealistic, good man, didn't secure Cersei and Goffry when he had the chance because he wasn't afraid of a child and his good friend the king wrote him a paper. Head ended up on a pike.
Jon Snow. Idealistic, good man, honorable to a fault. Adopts a "Ho's before crows" philosophy that clashes with his oath and put's him at odds with his crow brothers. Sees the big picture in needing to band together against the whitewalkers and allies with the WIldlings. This infuriates the crows that are unable to give up the old hatreds for the greater good, case in the point the boy that lost his family to them. First watcher dude who didn't see the whitewalkers or what's coming seals the deal and guts him out of jealously. All human nature.

Is it really all that shocking? Unfortunately the trend here is that being the kind hearted "good" guy isn't always conductive towards staying in power and maintaining your troops and power base during a time of war.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Joe Pesci » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:50 am

Peter wrote: Im assuming everyone in here either knows whats happened or doesnt care but come on.... The Red Woman? Jon Snow? Lady Stoneheart? Beric Dondarrian being a red priest...... You dont need an etch-a-sketch to work it out.....

Least thats what i am assuming. I havent read the books either past Storm of Swords.

Completely agree with this.

Furthermore, I theorize not only a return but for him to lead both the Brotherhood and Wildlings to a siege on Winterfell. Jon Stark! King of the North! Maybe the Bolton banners were burning but Melisandre initially envisioned the wrong person standing in front of the flames.

@OL. The show is not full of cheap shock character deaths and this reaction always comes about when a beloved character meets their end. In fact, this show is the exact opposite of Walking Dead. They kill the best characters in Walking Dead
Merle, Hershel, Shane, etc.
and no one comes to replace them. In Game of Thrones, whom you thought was best or had depth actually served more purpose in forwarding the narrative than in existing any further. Most shows I see nowadays have incredibly predictable plot points. People get frustrated because of how unpredictable Game of Thrones is, but the depth of all of the central characters makes that unpredictability one of GoT's best traits.
Joe Pesci
sUk 4 Life
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic