Square and Enix RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Square and Enix RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

Postby Tuffty » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:30 pm

A couple of days ago SE put up a teaser site for something related to The World Ends With You, with a countdown. The countdown is now over and as it turns out, the big reveal is that TWEWY is out right now for iOS. So sadly not a sequel as many were hoping, but if it gets out to a wider audience then all the better.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Yea no. This should have been announced with a sequel.

Notice something about this announcement? There aren't people explaining what the game is, and there aren't comments asking if the game is worth it. The person Square-Enix is trying to reach by releasing on iOS is the type of person that doesn't buy a 20$ iOS game. They'll make some change but it likely won't be an overwhelming success.

This is the problem, stuff like "Hey lets remake a DS game from 5 years ago". Why not make a sequel? Its gotten to that point where all they can do is pump out remakes or try and grab at nostalgia. All of their resources are so tied up trying to get the next version of ff13 working, or trying to fix 14 that they can't release anything else. Their handheld offerings are trying to be console games and badly with oversimplified controls, long load times and small areas.

I mean really why can't we have a Dissidia on Ps3? Could you imagine not having to hold 3 buttons to dash? Could you imagine how much bigger the arenas could be, or what the decompressed models would look like. you could have proper online features, more characters etc.

but hey this is the company that thinks voice acting is a higher priority then gameplay.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Got to say, not played The World Ends With You, or anything, but those "HD" sprites? They look like butt crack.

And this screenshot was taken just before Square-Enix disabled both the comments and ratings.

Ouch.
Nerdrage! :lol:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Got to say, not played The World Ends With You, or anything, but those "HD" sprites? They look like butt crack.

With 2D games getting "HD" upgrades, I really hate the visuals.

I kinda been finding more and more of that. I can't explain why but I feel the same way about Mighty Switch Force HD, Megaman X and even Dust but not Muramasa or Rayman. Even stuff like MvC2, Street Fighter 3 and Guardian Heroes I didn't mind. I can't put my finger on why, so I'll need to think about it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Got to say, not played The World Ends With You, or anything, but those "HD" sprites? They look like butt crack.

With 2D games getting "HD" upgrades, I really hate the visuals.

I kinda been finding more and more of that. I can't explain why but I feel the same way about Mighty Switch Force HD, Megaman X and even Dust but not Muramasa or Rayman. Even stuff like MvC2, Street Fighter 3 and Guardian Heroes I didn't mind. I can't put my finger on why, so I'll need to think about it.

maybe the designers took shortcuts because these small details wouldn't be noticed at lower resolutions, like they wouldn't bother fixing certain things because they wouldn't be seen anyway but once in HD the depth is a lot more revealing all those small details the devs disregarded, I haven't really played any 2d remastering's this gen so I don't know for sure but that seems plausible
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

SNK does some pretty great sprite work. Especially with King of Fighters 13 just last year. I've never really seen any old 2d sprite games in "hd" though so...

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 pm

LAMEWAD wrote:SNK does some pretty great sprite work. Especially with King of Fighters 13 just last year. I've never really seen any old 2d sprite games in "hd" though so...

thats another good example as I love the look of Kof 12 and 13, then again they still have things like jaggies and it was always mant to look that way.

south carmain wrote:maybe the designers took shortcuts because these small details wouldn't be noticed at lower resolutions, like they wouldn't bother fixing certain things because they wouldn't be seen anyway but once in HD the depth is a lot more revealing all those small details the devs disregarded, I haven't really played any 2d remastering's this gen so I don't know for sure but that seems plausible

Thats completely possible as well. I notice Kof13, Rayman Origins and Muramasa were all created specifically for their artstyles. So it may just be that in upgrading spritework to HD certain things got ignored.

another was that "Vectoring" everything might be it. Because the art has been vectored shading becomes a gradient, and the rigid lines in pixel based art become too soft.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: http://kotaku.com/5944788/kingdom-heart ... or-the-ps3

You've gotta be fucking kidding me. They're releasing 1, a retelling of 1 and a game that wastetime til 2, but not 2....betcha they do a 2.5 that has birth by sleep and 3D
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:58 pm

FUCK YES! I hope that comes out there, do you know how bad I want Final Mix? Then again, we may not get it, because it might require extra voice overs for the additional scenes never translated to english from when they first did the original KH Final Mix.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: FUCK YES! I hope that comes out there, do you know how bad I want Final Mix? Then again, we may not get it, because it might require extra voice overs for the additional scenes never translated to english from when they first did the original KH Final Mix.

and considering none of the voices have returned for 3d I expect they'll either not do it or replace the voices with the new crappy ones.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Laziest HD port ever
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: FUCK YES! I hope that comes out there, do you know how bad I want Final Mix? Then again, we may not get it, because it might require extra voice overs for the additional scenes never translated to english from when they first did the original KH Final Mix.

and considering none of the voices have returned for 3d I expect they'll either not do it or replace the voices with the new crappy ones.

Wait 3D didnt have the voice actors return? OH man, that in itself is a huge blow to that game. The KH series really took pride in having those voice actors return. did they return for birth by sleep?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:26 pm

since they were new characters it wasn't needed.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 pm

i meant more along the lines of the returning disney characters from the various movies, THEIR voice actors.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: i meant more along the lines of the returning disney characters from the various movies, THEIR voice actors.

No not since 2
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming