Square and Enix RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Square and Enix RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

Postby Yukupo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ANEBIB0oao[/youtube]

This topic has been brought to you by..
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Final Fantasy & Square RPG's

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Tuffty wrote:I dunno what I'm doing wrong in Vagrant Story. I don't think I'm that far into it but there are enemies where my weapons won't even make a scratch on them. I think I have a decent mix too, edged, blunt and pierced weapons, sword, spear, crossbow. Nothing seems to be working though. Could anyone maybe give me a few pointers on what I should be looking at or advice on something I'm missing?

You want to attack specific spots. The weakest areas when in battle mode. Also the game is pretty tough. I have not beaten it myself but took me a bit to figure it out also.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:19 pm

not played in a while, but RPGs in general have magical enemies. I remember a few enemies in the town area being zombified and needing a special kind of attack, I just don't remember what it was.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Tuffty wrote:I dunno what I'm doing wrong in Vagrant Story. I don't think I'm that far into it but there are enemies where my weapons won't even make a scratch on them. I think I have a decent mix too, edged, blunt and pierced weapons, sword, spear, crossbow. Nothing seems to be working though. Could anyone maybe give me a few pointers on what I should be looking at or advice on something I'm missing?

It's been a while since I played, but the best advice I can give is to make sure you read through every little bit of the in-game tutorial guide. The game doesn't force tutorials on you, so it comes down to you to look for it in the menus and learn for yourself.
I did that right at the start and didn't have too many problems.
If I'm remembering correctly, it really is one of the few JRPGs I've played where level grinding just does not lead to success. Buffing up your weapons is far more important, so be sure to focus on creating new and better ones in the workshops as early as you can.
Again, my memory is a bit foggy on the specifics of the gameplay otherwise though... just head for those tutorials.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:33 pm

I guess I'll have to. For a while I was kicking all kinds of ass with my spear but now it doesn't leave a mark on any body part. There's a few undead wandering around early on but the game gave me a holy type weapon for me to deal with them ok. I want to mix up what weapons I use so I can get different Break Arts but there's no point if it's not doing any damage to them. Kinda frustrating, I haven't been back to it in a while, but will try again tonight at some point just to see what I'm doing wrong. Will try using the workshop too cause I haven't used it at all (didn't realise til later than you had to open up your main menu to use it, thought it might have been done through a desk in the environment)
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Square RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:40 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4C9OVuA1us[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Re: Final Fantasy

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:01 pm

You have to check what enemy type it is; human, dark, undead etc and use a weapon with a counter against that. It's in the menu when you switch tabs for weapons (press L1/R1 to change tabs between the "blunt/edged/pierced" and enemy types). And yes, definitely check the in game tutorial, it is essential.

You'll come across weapon crafting workshops in a bit and you'll be able to fuse and create weapons that deal in destruction, if you do it right and collect the right items. Offensive magic should be saved for boss battles (to slow them, silence them) and buffing up Ashley during tough battles helps (cast haste as much as possible, use weapons buffs).

When targeting enemies, only aim at the points with at least 80%, if it is below that, do not bother, get your RISK level lower either by avoiding the enemy until it reaches zero again (remember: high "RISK" is bad since it makes you miss your targets, but medium "RISK" can land a critical blow!)
There are items that lower your RISK points, so use them sparingly (preferably for a boss battle).

And don't bother with crossbows, they are useless.

Don't worry too much, you'll gradually learn new abilities as the game goes along. Game is hard though, no doubt.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Star Ocean til the end of time is pretty fun so far. One thing bothered me is why they had a 16 year old girl have her fly wide open in a V shape. I felt like I was going to get arrested for playing it. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Thats an amazing game, with an amazing battle system. Play the PSP ones.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Thats an amazing game, with an amazing battle system. Play the PSP ones.

They been on my wishlist forever but not had the chance to get them yet. Just have the second game on PSone.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:56 am

btw way what game is that with the huge guy with the skull holding the big sword and looks like a snes game, towards the end of the pictures?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 am

one of the SaGa games
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Bluecast wrote:Star Ocean til the end of time is pretty fun so far. One thing bothered me is why they had a 16 year old girl have her fly wide open in a V shape. I felt like I was going to get arrested for playing it. :P

yeah I don't think you will enjoy the 360 one, I stopped playing it because it was so indirectly perverted (if that makes any sense, I mean the weird thing where otakus dress up 12 year old anime characters like prostitutes and call them "cute" swearing there is nothing sexual about it)
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I keep going back and forth if I should get the one on 360. Heard some say it sucks but usually from SO fans. I'm just a sucker for RPG's so I rarely don't like one I play. So not sure. I keep seeing it at my local shops but for over 20$. I won't pay 20-25$ for a game I'm not sure about.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:38 pm

well this is coming from me who enjoyed final fantasy 13-2, I'm not very picky and I gave it a chance as I only payed 5£ for it but the story, annoying characters and perveted stuff just put me off, the battle system is good though, I did enjoy that
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to General Gaming