Sleeping Dogs

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Spokane wrote:Oh yeah, that thing is riddled with spoilers although the very beginning is hilarious.

But I am glad I didn't spend 60 bucks on it personally. Doesn't mean you will, I still hate missing out of course until I can get it, but that is another subject. I read an article slamming the game industry for always doing what happened this Tuesday, releasing the two biggest games of the summer on the same day. This hurts both companies more than it helps. Granted Darksiders II was delayed but they could have chosen another date a few weeks before or after Sleeping Dogs and could have pulled it off. I would have got both if I could have afforded it, but instead I had to chose. I'll tell you when one of these games should have been released, the middle of September. That's between the biggest release of the summer and the release of Dishonored and Assassin's Creed 3.

That is the way the movie industry works moreso. Yes you have competition, but films that are targeted at the same audience are released weeks or months apart. For example this year The Avengers and Batman, same target audience.

The problem with video games is they mostly have the same target audience, both these games were mature, they both came out on the PS3 and 360 and PC so we have the same formats even. Now here we have me a guy who wants both, but can only afford one on release day, one of those companies loses out because now I have to wait awhile to afford it and by then the price probably will have dropped or can get it used, good for me, bad for the companies. The next thing I will want new is Assassin's Creed III now also, that will be the next thing I get. If Dogs would have came out in June or DSII like it was suppose to then I would have ended up getting both.

I know there is probably flaws in this logic but I just typed all that and felt the need to vent.

It has to do mostly with getting a game out the door asap to try and make some of the money a company dumped into development back, other times it has to do with a publisher wanting a return in their investment in a studio. In either case it would be more beneficial to space out releases a bit better and get a better handle on development.

Thne again, when a company is going out of business or hurting financially they'll pull all of their digital releases instead of just putting them on sale, so people in the gaming industry have some fucked up logic.

Peter wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Image

Ryo, after he finally got a haircut at Zhangyus Shop in the Three Blades Qtr, stands on the road of the Golden Quarter, pondering wether or not to go into the Pine Arcade to spend the rest of his Hong Kong Dollars.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 am

Got an email from Sainsburys saying it had shipped today, so if its 1st class, then should arrive tomorrow on launch day.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby south carmain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 am

Peter wrote:Got an email from Sainsburys saying it had shipped today, so if its 1st class, then should arrive tomorrow on launch day.

lucky bastard
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Neo Matrix » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 am

I'm now sad that I've only got today left with the game as I'm loving it. Comparisons to Yakuza and Shenmue will definitely happen, but it runs through things much more quickly. I haven't played the GTA or Saints Row series yet so I can't compare to them, but from the sounds of it they're looking for the same look, only with a better fighting system.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Mitsuzuki » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:31 am

This looks like a good pickup.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Neo Matrix » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:04 pm

It looks like they got this outfit from Kazuma from Yakuza's wardrobe, me likey!

Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Anyone has the PC version? wanna know if texmod is compatible
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm

wude wrote:Anyone has the PC version? wanna know if texmod is compatible

My neighbor has it but I haven't had a chance to check it out. If I pick it up on steam I'll take a look. I'd assume yes though.
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro Jr. on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: wude
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm

This is definitely a game I'm going to pick up.Heard the story was rather short though.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Neo Matrix » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Granted I tend to take my time and complete everything I see on these types of games, but I'm 7 hours in and completed 37% only of the story. Just about everything so far has been based in one area of the city (North Point) with the odd foray outside, mostly as a result of a car chase. If you're one of those completionists (like me) the game will have you scouring for the collectibles at some point too with all the money you get for completing missions and favours.

On the clothing front, I got an outfit that's a direct copy of Bruce Lee's yellow suit from that pagoda scene.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spokane » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 pm

The review I saw said you didn't get that suit until near the end.

Is this game the kind you would need a guide for?
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Golf Wang » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:24 am

I picked up the game at the midnight release at my local GameStop. I have to say, it's an amazing crime game so far, and I'm a big fan of those (GTA series, Saint's Row, True Crime). The combat is top notch, the gunplay is alright, it suits the game well, the dialogue is voiced by great, well known actors and tastefully blends Cantonese and English together without sounding awkward or forced. The story is thrilling, although short, I've only logged in about 10 hours and I'm already almost 60% done. It's definitely worth the $60 price tag and I recommend it to any open-world game fan. As for comparing it to Shenmue/Yakuza... well, the only thing that reminds me of Shenmue in this game is Aberdeen. The gameplay, story, and characters are completely different from Shenmue. I've never played Yakuza so I can't make a comparison there but based on gameplay videos I've seen it looks a bit similar. Anyways, great game, I definitely recommend it. =D>
Golf Wang
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: G0LFxWANG
Currently playing: Shenmue III

Postby HappyKillmore » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:12 am

Got mine Yesterday, haven't done much else since other than play it. Its a good game, fun killing rampages :D
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 am

Grrrrr didnt come today. Fuck you Sainsburys!! And Jamie Oliver!

Peter has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Which is funny cause i went and bought my copy from Sainsburys ;-)

Only played about 30 minutes so cant really comment on it but i like the combat.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming