Studying Abroad in London

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Studying Abroad in London

Postby Spokane » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Don't forget it's on Three Blades Street in the Lucky Charm Quarter in Wan Chai.

Spokane has received a thanks from: Thief
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Damn now im going to hong kong?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:10 pm

avoid any hairdressers thats does 5£ cuts and you should be fine

Lies. I got a £5 haircut every time until I was about 17 and realized that the only thing better than £5 hair cut is cutting your own hair for free! Though it's true that I just used to get it shaved relatively short, and it's pretty hard to mess that up. They were OK enough with clippers, but I'm so sure I would have trusted them with a pair of scissors.

beckham hasn't been relevant in years no one cares what he does anymore

More lies! I want Becks to be the next Batman (seriously, he has the right face for it)! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure people still worship Beckham to an extent. Have you seen how many people now have that haircut?

I have a slight question to my fellow Brits in regards to this tutorial I'm working on which focuses on British stand up comedians & how they push moral boundaries through their comedy material. I also wrote that their comedic material is reflective of contemporary British culture. Would you guys give me some insight on whether or not this is true, and perhaps the kinds of comedians that reflect this thesis? I thought I'd use comedians that are pretty popular in the UK Gervais Minchin and Izzard, but if you can give me some other ones that might be better then I would appreciate it. General Information and wisdom can help too as to how I should build on this thesis

Is it reflective of contemporary British culture? Hmm, I guess, but does "British culture" even exist anymore, at least outside of small rural type towns anyway? There seems to be so many small fragmented cultures in most of Britain nowadays, and I don't think many really give too much of a shit about "Britian", which is kind of in contrast to how many Americans feel about their nation (hence all the "America- fuck yeah" jokes).

Though I think there probably is still something of British culture in there somewhere, especially in our humour. I guess British humour is more cutting and has more of a bite to it than than the humour in other places maybe because of the "banter" culture we have over here. It seems to me that while Americans and people from other nations appear happy to just enjoy someone's company in simplicity, us Brits seem to be obsessed with the art of banter, and verbally abusing our social peers in any way we can. That's why every pub worth it's salt is effectively a training ground in the art of banter. Our banter often straddles the line just between harmless fun and genuinely offensive abuse, and some do take things too far in the name of "banter". I think this is why your average Brit has a far more sutble and often cruel sense of humour in comparison to to say American's who haven't been through the rigorous banter training that we have.

The difference is also very visible on the net, compare your average British populated forum to an American one, you'll usually find banter at a far more advanced and nuanced level on the British forums, while the banter of American forums tend to be far more unpolished and basic, and there's usually less of it. For a comparison look at the Shenmue UK forums compared to here.

While I think this is probably a part of the reason British humour is so different (better) than American humour, I have to admit that I don't really like excessive British banter all that much. while I am somewhat indoctrinated in the art form, many take it too far and banter becomes an excuse for a personal insult (indeed, they are often one and the same). It can make some British oriented forums unnecessarily harsh and uninviting.

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Yokosuka Martian
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:24 pm

I agree, there's no such thing as British culture. At all. You should say that in the tour thing. It just doesn't exist, despite what Americans seem to think.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:27 pm

That was very insightful, thank you. While we do have Louis CK and George Carlin, your humour is definitely more witty and full of banter. In terms of culture I'm referring to the society from a sociological standpoint, so It definitely helps me that you described why its diff
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:I have a slight question to my fellow Brits in regards to this tutorial I'm working on which focuses on British stand up comedians & how they push moral boundaries through their comedy material. I also wrote that their comedic material is reflective of contemporary British culture. Would you guys give me some insight on whether or not this is true, and perhaps the kinds of comedians that reflect this thesis? I thought I'd use comedians that are pretty popular in the UK Gervais Minchin and Izzard, but if you can give me some other ones that might be better then I would appreciate it. General Information and wisdom can help too as to how I should build on this thesis

I'd look into maybe some TV shows that didn't make it across to the US and become big. The big ones I can think of are Blackadder and Only Fools and Horses. OFAH is the most English TV show there is and pretty much seen as the best ever comedy in the UK.

Gervais does standup in a style that isn't like anything anyone else does so he doesn't really represent the English, Minchin I believe is Australian.

Mittens suggested Frankie Boyle which is a good one he pretty much does the most offensive stuff you can think of. No one else comes close to pushing it like he does. He wouldn't last 5 minutes in America due to the uproar that it would cause. Roy Chubby Brown is quite close but he is more racist then anything.

Lee Evans and Michael McIntyre are pretty much the biggest stand ups going in the country right now and sell out arenas filling 20,000 people each night. They may be worth a look.

Peter Kay is great but his stuff mostly focuses on what it was like to grow up in England in the 70's and 80's.

Harry Hill is my favorite. He hasn't done stand up for years but it touring next year. Some just don't get it because well it's very random and out there. It's like if Monty Python didn't have a budget for a stage and just had to work with a microphone.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:57 pm

There's also the two huge cans of worms that are Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:01 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:There's also the two huge cans of worms that are Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning.

Is that a bad thing? I can't tell heh.

And this is how I plan on cutting my hair. I unno I just like how it looks, but it might now fit my facial structure.

Also, are there any relatively cheap or free comedy festivals I might be able to go to while I'm there?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Oh Lawdy, Chubby Brown...what a dick.

Here's the man in action [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nL7VkcbRo[/youtube]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 pm

^ Sweet merciful crap, thats very blurry
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 am

Go straight to Wales and repeatedly injure thyself whilst hiking until the Prince saves you.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:18 am

mue 26 wrote:
avoid any hairdressers thats does 5£ cuts and you should be fine

Lies. I got a £5 haircut every time until I was about 17 and realized that the only thing better than £5 hair cut is cutting your own hair for free! Though it's true that I just used to get it shaved relatively short, and it's pretty hard to mess that up. They were OK enough with clippers, but I'm so sure I would have trusted them with a pair of scissors.

bloody hell mue first the fried chicken now this, but seriously they usually just know the same basic cut all 15 year olds get, anything else and they mess it up pretty badly, which is painfully obvious on lighter coloured hair as I was unlucky enough to discover
More lies! I want Becks to be the next Batman (seriously, he has the right face for it)! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure people still worship Beckham to an extent. Have you seen how many people now have that haircut?

seriously? I haven't seen anyone with it to be honest, and I haven't heard of him in years except at the olympics, I thought he was now an "American thing"
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Becks is bloody everywhere, I find. It's hard to get away from the geez. He's either on some chatshow or at some event that makes it's way onto the news, or is sticking his groin in my face with all those underwear adverts. He also seems to have a "collaboration range" with about 100 different clothing manufacturer's. Oh, and he also has some scent they were recently advertising on TV. I literally can't escape him. It's starting to make me a bit mad, and I sometimes have a "Becks breakdown" in which I start hallucinating everyone to all have David Beckham's face.

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: south carmain, Yokosuka Martian
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby white lotus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 am

I'd study abroad in London if they get their teeth fixed. Although, Delta White is an exception.
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Martin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm

white lotus wrote:I'd study abroad in London if they get their teeth fixed. Although, Delta White is an exception.

Ah, come on. You love our disgusting teeth!
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic