Dojo Forum Update: Moderation Team

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Re: Dojo Forum Update: Moderation Team

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:02 am

I dunno about the friend thing, but i used the foe option a few times. It blocks posts from people you dont wanna read posts from. Its usually used as a kneejerk reaction when you wanna ignore someone who you will have just had an argument with, and want to ignore them.

But its a bit redundant because it only blocks the post itself, but still displays that the user has made a post. Plus if someone quotes it, you can see it. So a bit useless really. Especially when, as a staff member you cant ignore posts :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby HappyKillmore » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:16 am

Good moderating choices, and a victory for Peter.

HappyKillmore has received a thanks from: Peter
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby QWERTY » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Congrats. Couldn't have picked two better candidates in my eyes.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Oh, snap! Idea time. Say two members are... e-beefin... a good way to cool them down without havin to resort to warnings or temp bans which could lead to temper tantrums or whatever, why not have an enforced "foe" type thing, where neither member can see eachother's posts for a certain period of time, and disabling the ability for other members to quote them. Kinda like a sin bin.

This way, the members will be excluded from eachother and the chances of any possible... flame war... will be significantly reduced. Any further infractions during this period would lead to warning and/or temp ban. Just an idea... (but considering it's my idea, it's a brilliant one)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Spokane » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Like I need to say this: It is a good idea.

End obvious post.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 pm

There could be an idea in there, if you wanna discuss it? But with the way the "Foe" system is at the minute though, you are only prohibited from seeing the post itself. You see the user bar saying something like " MITTENZ post blocked or something - click here to view post". Its something like that, not exact.

But anyways, even though you cant see it, others can, and will no doubt comment on it, making it feel like the person you have "Foe'd" is talking behind your back. I tried it before with some members that will remain unnamed, but you break very soon, and click to view the post.

But like i said, there is an idea there which i see what your getting at, but i think it might be an intricate thing to implement into phpBB. May need to have a mod built in.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:30 pm

I used the Foe thing on somebody, or a few somebodies, not anyone around anymore but you would see what they said if someone quoted them that wasn't on the foe list.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:12 pm

That's why I said about disabling the ability to quote any member who has this "enforced foe" thing. Or, a much simpler solution could be that the members' posts must be approved by a mod for a certain length of time, with any further insults resulting in a rejected post.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Hmmmm post approval could be the way to go.... :-k
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Makes sense. That way, the member would have no choice but to drop it, or they'd essentially be excluding themselves from the Dojo instead of the big, bad mod. They wouldn't have to make peace or owt (although it should definitely be encouraged), just any part of the post the tries to further the argument or hurl insults wouldn't get posted. This would only be for out of control scenarios btw, if you start doin it to me, guaranteed I'll be the next forum member you meet.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Yea i was about to say, it would only be for extreme cases. I dont think in this present point in time for the community, that there are going to be serious arguments or flaming.

But if it does, the only flaw with that is that we still do become the big bad mods, because it essentially boils to our judgment if someone is out of line or not. Especially when it comes to a non breach of the TOS. What happens there is the argument goes from two forum members, to one forum member and the staff. Thats when we go back to square one, when like i said before, "we are damned if we do, and we are damned if we dont". If we stop the flaming users post, he will think our judgement is wrong, and if we approve the post, the other person(s) involved will think we are biased and/or too leniant. But thats the job though, and again as i said, it sucks :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Nah, not at all.

Mods deleting posts = Gun in Mod's hand
Mods reviewing posts = Gun in Member's hand

They become masters of their own fate. They're still given the chance to post, but any post will be heavily scrutinised, so it's then up to the member to redeem his or herself.

It's like a suspended prison sentence + restraining order. The member can post as much as he or she likes about games, films, comics, whatever, and can still debate and throw in the occasional insult here and there (we're pretty much all guys, so insults are unavoidable), but they can't so much as hint about what happened in a post, let alone try to further the argument.

Three strikes during the reviewed posts thing and it's a temp ban.

It's fair because it still gives the member a chance. One of the annoying things about being temp banned is that you could be in the middle of an enjoyable discussion in another topic, yet once that ban comes into place, your participation in the discussion is pretty much over, except in those rare cases when they last a long time.

If anything, it would be seen as being quite lenient, kinda like "dude, if you don't stop doin this shit, big bad Yama's gonna notice and ban your arse!" (yes, Yama, you're admin, so you have to step up to the plate and become our new scapegoat when shit goes sour)

Besides, it wouldn't be like before, because both you and Henry are both blatantly reasonable guys with a good level of sense about ya's (I highlight you two because you're generally the most active), members are gonna be less likely to go off on one about youz bein power mad mods or owt.

On top of that, with this bein my idea n'all, I'd back ya's up every time, and you know that just makes it an instant win. Unless, like I said, you try doin it to me. I will not tolerate that kinda shit.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: leroa
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:44 pm

:lol: well if your shit aint the same colour, texture n smell of the communitys shit, then we will need to work on your tolerance! :P

But there definitely is a good idea to be built on here. We will discuss it and see if its a possibility. But sure as we said, its a proper last resort idea to be used againt membes who are coming to the end of their tether, particularly with the new warning system in place. In fact, maybe a temp 6 month ban isnt the way to go ( i mean 6 months is a long time!), perhaps change that to 6 months of post moderation is a better solution?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:Oh, snap! Idea time. Say two members are... e-beefin...

:rotflmao:
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby KiBa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:01 am

:lol: e-beefin!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo