(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue I or II? (Total votes: 32)

Shenmue I
44%
Shenmue II
56%

Re: Shenmue I or II (v. 2012)

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:If they ever rebooted Shenmue i would love them to add a couple more areas to Shenmue 1 with a new area on the way to the harbor or something.

A playable wish road?
I would love to be able to choose to either walk or take the bus, it would make it that much more real.
That would be cool.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby raunchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:54 pm

gotta go with shenmue 1, i hope its not because of nostalgia playing it first... but i always preferred the quaint, calm streets of sakuragaoka and the warmth of the hazuki residence over the bustling streets in S2. also i feel that S2 was more 'hollywood-ized', glam'ed up. but it did have more of that "epic adventure" feeling.
raunchy
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Waiting for Fall games

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Lucky for us that because each game is so stellar, it doesn't really mean one is better than the other. It just comes down to what fits our mood more. It's like; hm, should I take the Porsche or the Lambo out for a spin today?

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: ShOzO MiZuKi
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby mrslig100 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Shenmue 1 all the way, felt more honest to me.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Looks neck & neck amongst the Dojo
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Snake Tortoise » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Nostalgia for Shenmue 1 doesn't really come into it for me. I bought S1 within days of it's release, and S2 on it's release, but they weren't so far apart that S1 feels like a significantly earlier time. it's been so long now they may aswell have been released on the same day for all I care

shenmuekidsx wrote:Looks neck & neck amongst the Dojo

I love that sig :mrgreen:
Snake Tortoise
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks, I think it's pretty hilarious meself
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:26 am

Shenmue II. Dreamcast version specifically.

Not to put down the original game, but I feel that II is the better game in terms of scope, gameplay, adventure, and the sheer amount of memorable moments. Of course, this is intentional, and what makes Shenmue 1+2 my favorite games - both tied - is the contrast between the two. But if I were to choose, it would easily be II, as a game it is a more rounded experience.
Last edited by Himuro on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:33 am

Yama wrote:It does look amazing via VGA, it's the only way I prefer to play.

Though Shenmue IIx also looked great via X-Box's HD component cables on a native 4:3 HD CRT. I miss mine so much.

Ahh, the good ol' days...

I need to get something like this. My Dreamcast won't play on my HD TV with the original wires.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Himuro » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:34 am

Peter wrote: I mean the Kowloon building raid topic that was done when the game was released truely was fantastic.

Please find a link to this? :)
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SkillJim » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:05 pm

First game for me, SHenmue 2 is still absolutly amazing, but I keep coming back to the first game more. I prefer the more natural realistic graphics of Shenmue 1 than the bright, sometimes cartoony look of the second. Shenmue 1 uses alot of greys and just feels more realistic to play, I guess because of the slow paced nature of the game also I get this feeling.

Also with Shenmue 1 being much smaller it allowed me to appreciate the detail put into the game more so than Shenmue 2, where you don't take as much in whilst playing and tend to rush a little more through the game than the first. The detail was much more striking in the first game, with the phones you could use and all of the unique dialogue at different stages of the game, and alot of hidden scenes that you don't see each play through.

Shenmue 1 had a bit more gameplay vartiey aswell, what with the vehicles like the motorbike riding, forklift truck racing and working, kitten caring :)

Both are great, but with Shenmue 1, I love that I know the whole game off by heart, conversations and i'm filling in the sentances outloud before they speak, it's crazy how much dialogue you can remember, whereas I don't really have that connection with the second game, even after completing it like over 10 times. :mrgreen:
SkillJim

XBL: Skilljimmeh

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Himuro wrote:
Peter wrote: I mean the Kowloon building raid topic that was done when the game was released truely was fantastic.

Please find a link to this? :)

Here ya go. Its a great read for nostalga :D :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8638&hilit=kowloon+building+raid

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Lan Di-sama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonikku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 am

Tough choice, but I feel I would have to go with 2. I had to warm up to Shenmue 1. I think when I first bought it back when it came out I played it for a dozen hours over a few days and put it on the shelf. I just couldn't "connect" with it I guess. Over time I dug up online resources that helped me with where to go and what to do, after that it picked up a lot. After beating it, I played through it again and enjoyed it even more. But when I got Shenmue 2, I was psyched. I plowed into it with all the power of Teepo going at with a $2 prostitute. I was so absorbed into the game I did not leave the chair until completing disc 1. :shock:

I guess the game had the advantage of my already having warmed up to the series that the original lacked, but I just loved that game to pieces. I also found it much more accessible than the first with asking kids around to show me where to go. (but not old hags, they need to get the lead out. :mad: ) I also prefer VGA mode on the Cast over 480p on the box, despite them seemingly being the same thing on paper. In addition, the game was more immersive in it's original Japanese with English subtitles. I played 2x for the first time in years today on my 360 and I can hardly stand the English voice acting now. Perhaps I'm spoiled by Mass Effect/ Dragon Age.

Yama wrote:It does look amazing via VGA, it's the only way I prefer to play.

Though Shenmue IIx also looked great via X-Box's HD component cables on a native 4:3 HD CRT. I miss mine so much.

Ahh, the good ol' days...

You're so lucky to have had one of those rare 4x3 HDTV's (or was it a EDTV?). I never had the cash for one when those were out roughly a decade ago when I was still in school, but they held a lot of appeal. Even now in hindsight I think it would be great to have a 4x3 tv that could do 480p, for all my Dreamcast/Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 games. My X1 is a good alternative, having a 4x3 aspect ratio and 800x600 res isn't too bad for those 480p games, but to play them on a 1080p display with bars on the sides and cringe inducing scaling would probably make my eyes bleed. :sad:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby code l name » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 am

Shenmue 2 is the superior game but the original is a slightly better experience, if that makes any sense?

It's interesting how some of the forum members separate the titles. I was reading an interview recently from the creator of the TV show the Wire, David Simon and he weighed in about fans choosing their favorite seasons. As he put it they never viewed the show as separate seasons rather one continuous overarching storyline so he was miffed how fans could make such a clear distinction. I have a feeling Yu Suzuki may feel similar especially given the scope of Shenmue series being 16 chapters and having been written in advance.

I was fortunate than most because I was well behind the curve and when I purchased my Dreamcast I had Shenmue 1 and 2 together. For many years I viewed the sequel as vastly superior to the first game thanks to its increased size, new characters and the progression of story. However as many have noted there's a very special feeling the original game encapsulates that very few games seem to attain.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue